New Modular MIDI Controller for Software Synthesizers

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys!

I would like to know your opinion about the MIDI controller idea that we’ve been developing for some time together with a group of several musicians.

The idea is to design a MIDI controller fo software synthesizers, which will be built of modules. However, unlike other modular solutions, each module will correspond to a specific element of sound synthesis. The modules will be universal – we want to analyze as many VSTi plugins as possible and develop the most versatile layout of functions / controls that will support most softsynths (of course the ones that can be mapped with MIDI). we know that it is impossible to do everything and satisfy everyone, but we want to design it really well and we believe it can be done. For example: the envelope module will be able to work with various plugins that offer ADSR, ADHSR, DAHDHR, T1 L1 T2 L2… etc. envelopes.

We would like to design the device in such a way that the user would have the impression as if he is interacting with a classic synthesizer – regardless of the plugin he is using. In addition, the controller will be equipped with a large number of high quality knobs and sliders, but in a very thoughtful layout. We are also considering the possibility of connecting and controlling hardware synthesizers through our device.

Our project is in the early stages of development. We decided to post it because we would like to get the widest possible feedback. At the moment we have a short description and some simple sketches that are intended to illustrate the idea. Please do not treat them as the final project. You can read about the idea here: https://www.oscine.co/. At the end of the page, you can find a short survey – we would be very grateful if you could complete it. After all, this device is designed for you, and we would like it to be the best softsynth hardware controller 🙂

What are your thoughts on this idea?

Magdalena
Oscine

PS. Attachment description: This is a concept sketch of the modules - note, this is not the final project!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I think it would depend on price. If the cost gets close to buying the real hardware then it wouldn’t have as much of an appeal.

i like the idea of for example, being able to buy two modules of faders, rather than be forced in to faders plus knobs.

so could be useful if users could basically use whatever they enjoy using, just want pads? ypu got it, just knobs? bam! you got it!

and so on...

Definitely a good idea, for sure. I’d like to build a modular control surface.

Will it support NKS? That would be a great feature.

Forgotten wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:31 pm Definitely a good idea, for sure. I’d like to build a modular control surface.

No, only NI hardware can. That‘s why NI can still sell keyboards with only 8 knobs- no buttons- no faders.

I love the idea of modular controllers. I think until now there isn’t a controller on the market that comes close to using a hardware Instrument (apart from Roland‘s plugout thingie)
my music:
soundcloud.com/septimon-band
blend.io/septimon

Septimon wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:41 pm
Forgotten wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:31 pm Definitely a good idea, for sure. I’d like to build a modular control surface.

No, only NI hardware can. That‘s why NI can still sell keyboards with only 8 knobs- no buttons- no faders.

I love the idea of modular controllers. I think until now there isn’t a controller on the market that comes close to using a hardware Instrument (apart from Roland‘s plugout thingie)
If NI calls NKS a standard, it has to be accessible to any hardware vendor...
But for such a controller it needs also a standard on the DAW side of things. A standardized way to choose the synth/plugin you want to control with it...

Interesting idea... all depends on how well it works and quality vs price. For me price is secondary to quality and effectiveness

How would the modular units connect with each other, and would there be a ‘rack’ of some kind that would house them?

It looks like they would connect like Roli blocks...

Definitely interesting. It's a big issue with other controllers - either you have too few controls, or too many. And, for some synths you need more controls, for some you need less.

As has been mentioned, it will all depend on the price for me. Not much of a point if it's similar to buying a hardware synths, or a more avanced MIDI controller.

Forgotten wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:23 pm I think it would depend on price. If the cost gets close to buying the real hardware then it wouldn’t have as much of an appeal.
We definitely won't be as expensive as hardware synths – we want our device to be competitive to other controllers, that's for sure. it is supposed to be a real alternative to hardware with the price range suited to everyone (smaller or larger set etc.).
vurt wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:27 pm i like the idea of for example, being able to buy two modules of faders, rather than be forced in to faders plus knobs.

so could be useful if users could basically use whatever they enjoy using, just want pads? ypu got it, just knobs? bam! you got it!

and so on...
Yes, that's exactly the idea – the user will select the modules that he will actually use, and won't be forced to buy the entire controller with tons of useless e.g. pads. However, it won't be a choice between knobs / sliders / pads, etc., because such modular systems already exists and they are not satisfying at all (as they are too generic and poor). Our idea of modules is that they will correspond to a specific element of sound synthesis.

Yup, only NI hardware supports NKS.
Thanks for your feedback – what Roland thingie you have in mind?
Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:37 am

If NI calls NKS a standard, it has to be accessible to any hardware vendor...
But for such a controller it needs also a standard on the DAW side of things. A standardized way to choose the synth/plugin you want to control with it...
As I said – NKS is a standard for software to collaborate with NI devices. Unfortunately it doesn't work the other way around. It is very likely that we will have to develop our own standard. I'm not sure yet, because I'm not the tech guy on our team, but I will keep you informed.
pdxindy wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:56 am Interesting idea... all depends on how well it works and quality vs price. For me price is secondary to quality and effectiveness
Thanks for your feedback!
Forgotten wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:20 pm How would the modular units connect with each other, and would there be a ‘rack’ of some kind that would house them?
Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:30 pm It looks like they would connect like Roli blocks...
Yup – we will connect the modules via magnetic connectors. However, unlike ROLI, which can be combined on each side and has eight magnetic connectors, our modules will have only two and it will be possible to combine them on the right / left side only. This will be a significant saving of money and space, and will allow you to place modules in an Eurorack if you need it. And yes - we will develop special cases, thanks to which it will be possible to transfer the entire set of modules.
chk071 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:35 pm Definitely interesting. It's a big issue with other controllers - either you have too few controls, or too many. And, for some synths you need more controls, for some you need less.

As has been mentioned, it will all depend on the price for me. Not much of a point if it's similar to buying a hardware synths, or a more avanced MIDI controller.
Thanks for your feedback! As I said – we want our device to be competitive to other controllers (and not the most expensive ones). We will inform you when we will know more details!

how does a controller correspond to sound synthesis?
can you give one example of what you mean as im not sure i follow? thanks :)

rhearhino wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:07 pm
Yup – we will connect the modules via magnetic connectors. However, unlike ROLI, which can be combined on each side and has eight magnetic connectors, our modules will have only two and it will be possible to combine them on the right / left side only. This will be a significant saving of money and space, and will allow you to place modules in an Eurorack if you need it. And yes - we will develop special cases, thanks to which it will be possible to transfer the entire set of modules.
One long single line doesn’t seem great to me. IMO there needs to be a way to make multiple rows.

vurt wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:11 pm how does a controller correspond to sound synthesis?
can you give one example of what you mean as im not sure i follow? thanks :)
Of course :) For example, as it is said in my original post – lets say that we have an ENVELOPE module – it will be able to work with various plugins that offer ADSR, ADHSR, DAHDHR, T1 L1 T2 L2… etc. envelopes. Or FILTER module with cutoff, resonance, filter type [...] knobs – all of controls on each module will be labeled so you will have filter cutoff under the exact knob regardless of the softsynth you are currently using.

pdxindy wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:16 pm
rhearhino wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:07 pm
One long single line doesn’t seem great to me. IMO there needs to be a way to make multiple rows.
We will consider it, but why exactly one line wouldn't be great for you? Like in Eurorack? Magnetic connectors won't allow you to connect an infinite number of modules anyway due to the voltage drop.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”