Behringer Poly D

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

very few synths have a dedicated filter per oscillator
Not per oscillator, but per voice. So that each note you press on a keyboard gets its own attack and decay time, as well as cutoff frequency. Old notes in polysynth are not killed when you play a new one - in model D they are.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:10 pm
The general idea is that it’s a 4 oscillator analogue synthesizer where you can use it a 4-oscillator monosynth, a 2-voice/2-oscillator unison synth or a single oscillator per voice 4-voice polysynth.
They added round-robin switch before oscillators and now call it a "polysynth" :dog: . I say it's just a scam.
But it would sound really weird depending on which envelope you have at any given moment - as I see it.

Multiple notes = all sound at sustain point in filter and amp?
You hit one note - and envelople trigger - then another note.....

Reefius wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:15 pm If it all goes through only one filter has nothing to do with it, because very few synths have a dedicated filter per oscillator. This would mean that almost every polysynth is actually paraphonic.
Polyphonic analog synths become expensive due to that a 6 voice, like Prophet 6 has:
- 6 full sets of oscillators
- 6 sets of vca's
- 6 set of vcf's
- 6 sets if lfo's
- probably 6 sets of effects too, but most are digital so no problem doing poly.

All digital synths just needs cpu enough to run the code in multiple threads or otherwise - no duplicated electronics other than keyboard some things maybe. It's just a computer.

You also notice doing a full calibration on DeepMind takes a good while - all envelopes, filters, oscillators for every voice is done. On my DM6 took about 15 minutes the full set.

So Poly-D is most likely a monosynth with some paraphonic features. Could be cool enough if envelopes has zero attack, zero decay and just sustain point - but if spreading notes on other settings probably create not what you expect doing second note.

Demos by Behringer were carefully designed to only use short attack and decay - not longer envelopes.

Ha. Called it. Er, so I’m only one of ... um, several thousand, or probably a lot more ...

Well. Still right though! :party:

Looks and sounds great to me from the video- if they get this out for the same cost as the Oddy (350-400) it will be a big hit I think.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

That ... seems unlikely.

SLiC wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:02 pm Looks and sounds great to me from the video- if they get this out for the same cost as the Oddy (350-400) it will be a big hit I think.
$599 confirmed, so whatever that translates into in real currency :D

Guessing £499.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:25 pm
SLiC wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:02 pm Looks and sounds great to me from the video- if they get this out for the same cost as the Oddy (350-400) it will be a big hit I think.

Guessing £499.
499 for a shit filter?

:hihi:

AnX wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:27 pm

Guessing £499.
499 for a shit filter?

:lol:

TBF, if you want a cheap shit filter just change your diet. Corn/bran flakes should help :hihi:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Guessing £499.
OK- not to far off- probably £449 street...dropping to £399 once the early adaptors have peaked...
I have the Behringer 'mono' Model D already and no more room for boards so will probably pass, but this is a great addition to the line up.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

To be fair (tooo bee faaaaaaiiiirrrrrrr)...

1. Moog released a few paraphonic synths back in the day (Realistic MG-1, pretty sure the Rogue was paraphonic) - so a paraphonic Mini isn't entirely un-Moog like.

2. It's got a keyboard. I had no interest in the desktop D, but the form factor of this is very appealing.

Still though: don't call it polyphonic if it's not.

Will definitely buy. [Looks around room for a place to put it. Going right on top of the Rhodes. Definitely buying it.]
Last edited by Funkybot's Evil Twin on Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reefius wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:15 pm I think it's like this:
Polyphony: There are actually 4 oscillators per voice. So if the synth is 4 voice polyphonic it would need 4x4 or 16 oscillators.
Paraphony: You can play monophonic using all 4 oscillators combined into one voice, or 4 voice polyphonic using only one oscillator per voice, because the synth only has 4 oscillators in total.

If it all goes through only one filter has nothing to do with it, because very few synths have a dedicated filter per oscillator. This would mean that almost every polysynth is actually paraphonic.
If the synth had 4 filters and 4 VCA's, they could legitimately call it 4-voice polyphonic, even with just 4 oscillators in total. There are lots of polysynths with just a single oscillator per voice, like the famous Juno 6/60/106 for example, which have 6 DCO's, 6 filters and 6 VCA's.

The more common setup is 2 or more oscillators per "voice", with each voice having its own filter, VCA and one or more envelopes. The polyphony is defined by the number of such "blocks" of oscillator+filter+vca+env, or "voices", not by the total number of oscillators or oscillators per voice. Doesn't matter whether there are 1, 3 or 18 oscillators per voice. Well, it matters for the fatness of the sound, but it doesn't define the polyphony :)

AnX wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:27 pm

Guessing £499.
499 for a shit filter?

just route to a wasp filter :D

Isn’t the Moog Matriarch paraphonic?

perpetual3 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:15 pm Isn’t the Moog Matriarch paraphonic?
Yes (and over 2 grand!) but a bit more 'modular' and a lot more patch points.
I'm not sure there is anything in the (current) Moog line up quite like this.
Last edited by SLiC on Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”