Behringer Poly D

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

damn, beat me to it :hihi:

Looks like its not polyphonic but paraphonic.
Maybe they should have called it the Parody
:lol:

kirsty roland wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:49 am Looks like its not polyphonic but paraphonic.
Maybe they should have called it the Parody
:lol:
:phew:

..can't see, Youtube is blocked here at work.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

kirsty roland wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:49 am Looks like its not polyphonic but paraphonic.
I don't agree - I think unison with two oscillators each - true poly - it's quite alright, I think.

Or I got that wrong - not two waveforms.

4-voice single osc - maybe not so interesting. Some exception probably.

It sounds almost as good as last patches I did in Prologue. ;)

I would expect same pricing as DM6 and it's a homerun for Behringer probably.

2 or more oscillators through 1 common filter and VCA is pretty much the definition of paraphonic...

lfm wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:16 am I don't agree - I think unison with two oscillators each - true poly - it's quite alright, I think.
But there's only one VCA and VCF which the oscillators are sharing, so it's paraphonic instead of true polyphonic.

Sweet, the orange mod wheel gets brighter as it gets turned up.

But yeah, sharing the VCA VCF and modulation is definitely paraphonic. But if you're playing strict chords then maybe it doesn't matter especially with the chorus to thicken it.

:roll: I honestly dont see the point of this, would have been better beefing up the Deepmind instead
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

ilmai wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:49 am
lfm wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:16 am I don't agree - I think unison with two oscillators each - true poly - it's quite alright, I think.
But there's only one VCA and VCF which the oscillators are sharing, so it's paraphonic instead of true polyphonic.
Then every synth I know is paraphonic - so not sure I understand.
Two oscillators through one vcf and one vca - most common thing I saw.

Polyphonic has separate instance of everything for each voice - is it specified this is not the case for Poly-D?
So you see one on panel - but it's one instance for each voice you fire.

Same envelope everything - or?

It's not up at Musictribe yet, so not sure about all info there is.

sorry, could not resist ...

Seems more than I interpret poly 4 voice or just confused:
https://www.gearnews.com/behringer-reve ... -minimoog/

"The general idea is that it’s a 4 oscillator analogue synthesizer where you can use it a 4-oscillator monosynth, a 2-voice/2-oscillator unison synth or a single oscillator per voice 4-voice polysynth. There’s lots of discussion about whether it’s a “true” polysynth or whether it’s actually paraphonic. I’m generally of the opinion that if it can play more than one note at a time then its voicing is “polyphonic” but if it all goes through a single filter and envelope section (as this appears to) then it has “paraphonic” articulation. Other people describe these things differently but just as long as we all know what we’re trying to say then it’s fine. Behringer don’t appear to confirm it one way or another but the articulation is most likely to be paraphonic simply because of what we see on the front panel and the costs involved of having a filter and VCA for each voice individually."

I think folks above got it right, not me, just wonder how to conclude that paraphonic?
It's the calling it "2 note/unison" probably and not 2 voice.

If sharing the filter and starting one oscillator after the other and short envelope - what happends?
It affect all sounding notes, or?
All notes sound at sustain point?

The general idea is that it’s a 4 oscillator analogue synthesizer where you can use it a 4-oscillator monosynth, a 2-voice/2-oscillator unison synth or a single oscillator per voice 4-voice polysynth.
They added round-robin switch before oscillators and now call it a "polysynth" :dog: . I say it's just a scam.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I think it's like this:
Polyphony: There are actually 4 oscillators per voice. So if the synth is 4 voice polyphonic it would need 4x4 or 16 oscillators.
Paraphony: You can play monophonic using all 4 oscillators combined into one voice, or 4 voice polyphonic using only one oscillator per voice, because the synth only has 4 oscillators in total.

If it all goes through only one filter has nothing to do with it, because very few synths have a dedicated filter per oscillator. This would mean that almost every polysynth is actually paraphonic.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”