AD Converter

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

do you have recommendations for an AD converter within a price range of 500-1000 Euro?
The only I seem to find is the Ferrofish Pulse16. Wonder if there are more or better alternatives? Currently using an ADA8200, but not happy with its stability (sometimes does not sync, and when switching on it really pops loud and nearly blows my speakers if I dont care to reduce volume..)

Looking to pair it with a RME digiface USB, (8 channels are too few for the future, which are mostly offered by other audio interfaces)

Thank you

I'm extremely satisfied with Audient ASP 800, the converters as well as preamps/line inputs. If you want compressor as well consider ASP 880 I think it is called.

I use RME HDSP 9632 and set to sync on Audient and done.

I considered Focusrite OctoPre, I think name is, but preamps had only 55 dB gain and not enough for all mikes I use, but good moneys worth and get two even.

Thanks for this tip on the Audient. Forgot to mention that I do not necessarily need preamps, because I do not connect microphones, but only synths.
However, I feel most of the ADs come with preamps - and I thought in the same pricerange, an AD wo preamps may be better than with preamps - however this may not be fully true?

i'm kind of in the same boat. i'm searching an ad-(and preferably also da) converter with 8 ins (outs) but there only seems to be the pulse 16. though i don't want to pay for 8 channels i can't use (my fireface uc only has one adat-connector).
the only option i find are used (and i'm quite overwhelmed there). something like a pulse 8 would be perfect.

Go look for a second hand Legacy Lynx Aurora 8, preferable with USB card.

They are at 1K sometimes less atm.

Bought mine from an ebay seller, he said it was online since one year (!) no one want to have them, because consumer people usually dont know them. And high end pro studios upgraded from them. They have been the standard 10 years ago. But dont think they sound outdated, oh no. They are above everything I have ever heared. From Apogee, Audient, RME. I never heared Prism Sound or Dangerous honestly, Because this is the league you should compare them.

Anway I upgraded from Audient to the Aurora. Difference like night and day. Sorry Audient.

For synth recording they will turn inside out every nuance of the individual circuit they pick up. The sound picture is deep, rich, high spectral, like a large stage and upfront bringing the fine differences and nuances into reality. For a lack of better words. I remember turning them on for spotify listening at first (DA). Then I started to wonder that I notice things I never heared before. Not only that, also i could feel more (?) Especially recording Line level I find them stunning.

Also Looping DA AD works without any losses.

Best
A.

MOTU 8A?

8 in/8 out/no preamps/ around US$800 :tu:

https://motu.com/products/avb/8a

I would second the Lynx Aurora 8 recommendation.

The Crookwood stuff is incredible value, and he'll build something custom for you too. You'll also need an AES card for interface with computers though.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”