New ExpressiveE instrument: Osmose

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It is up to them. It is about progress and comfort + more things than otherwise (on the standard one) can not be performed.
;)

I can only show the way it should be done. The choice to go that way is optional.
Also, this is just a hobby for me. That is why I give it for free.

(My other design is out of question.)

https://youtu.be/LsYvuxmzxX4

↑↑↑↑
(the video is just an example for trolling) and one of my all time favourite songs :phones:

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:32 am
Pashkuli wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:49 pmI hope they will respond to my suggestion and use the...

It will be for the better. For all players.
They won't. And it won't. :)
:clap:
Yes, with the acceptance of many pre-orders... the proverbial ship has sailed (fortunately) and the Osmose is what it is ( :phew: ). Any major changes to something fundamental like the shape of the keys would border on a bait-n-switch. Super-unlikely to happen. So we can stop talking wishes and dreams on that front, eh? <holds breath>

There's plenty to talk about, such as the Osmose's use of "Initial Pressure" and how that interacts with the EaganMatrix.

Pashkuli wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:52 pm It is up to them. It is about progress and comfort + more things than otherwise (on the standard one) can not be performed.
I cannot see how anybody would perform many classic piano pieces on that abomination of a keyboard, nevermind supposed "comfort". You would be slipping keys playing wrong notes all day in Flight of the bumblebee, or Hungarian rhapsody.

But hey, you don't play keys very well yourself so what would you know about that. :)

manowars flight of the bumblebee is my fave version :hihi:

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:38 pm But hey, you don't play keys very well yourself so what would you know about that. :)
I even did not bother to make it, as I think my other key design (Pashkuli) is even superior (should not be compared to the standard piano keyboard at all, need to be learnt as a new instrument).

Regarding this new (well I designed it around 15 years ago) design, no one has ever tried it as a full range keyboard. Yes, it is more common to say 'well, it's shit'. Back in those days I made a composite mould for an octave and it worked. No complaints from keyboardists, rather the contrary, but no one ever took it seriously, so it's for free (actually I wanted it to be sort of an "open source" design).

I can not play "The flight of the bumblebee" nor "Hungarian rhapsody" on any instrument (never learn it).
If you have spotted something inconvenient, please express your concerns (it will be offtopic... all this now is). It is open source (that is the idea).
Last edited by Pashkuli on Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

AnalogDigits wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:27 pm There's plenty to talk about, such as the Osmose's use of "Initial Pressure" and how that interacts with the EaganMatrix.
It is software controlled and "per preset" based. At least that is my impression of it. Without the EagenMatrix, the Osmose is just a stripped down version of the Continuum hardware (if at all it uses the Hall sensors, rather a touch surface, but when I get one, will disassemble it and give a first hand report).
Last edited by Pashkuli on Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I doubt it's using Hall effect sensors. It's probably miniaturized Touché in each key, of sorts.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:12 pm I doubt it's using Hall effect sensors. It's probably miniaturized Touché in each key, of sorts.
Could be, though that Touché has some Y parameter assignable as well, which seems to have not been demonstrated on Osmose keys.
Do not know, Touché looks to me like a modified oversized joystick with Z sensor instead of click button. At least I see a way of doing it that way. Then the software is actually interpreting the info to send it as a parameter through MIDI protocol or whatever.
Mine are based on that simple idea, although I have not modified them to have Z pressure, although I could but it would make it quite expensive.
Z is good for direct contact for Volume or other Modulation tweaking. But the flat standard piano keys are not very suitable for this. That is at least how I feel about it.
With regards to the concern that by not being a keyboard player myself, I could not have a credible opinion surrounding keyboards, their design, etc., let me remind you that Leo Fender could barely play guitar himself (maybe even worse to what I can play on a keyboard), yet... the Stratocaster is his design.

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of Stratocasters either. :P

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:15 pm Yeah I'm not a huge fan of Stratocasters either. :P
indeed, the choice of every bank manager who will learn to play when he retires... :hihi:

I mean also the standard pivot suspension is a limitation as well. Mine are designed to what is known nowadays as a Compliant Design, and uses a very cheap to make suspension, just by utilising the type of material, geometry and topology. Also mine dip down uniformly front to back, as there is no pivot point. This should work on flat keys as well but would rather have some waste of functionality (lacking a couple at least). But that is also offtopic again.

The thing that interests me in Osmose is the Pitch Bend. The rest can be implemented with software anyway. Six~seven months till the summer and we can experiment. :hyper:
Last edited by Pashkuli on Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

AnalogDigits wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:27 pmThere's plenty to talk about, such as the Osmose's use of "Initial Pressure" and how that interacts with the EaganMatrix.
I think I can talk to that, since I have a Continuum. Continuous pressure is the basic Z depth pressure of the Continuum, which you can map to anything and everything in the EaganMatrix. Just putting a “Z” in any intersection point in the matrix will map pressure to that destination. And then I assume that aftertouch is handled as a MIDI modulation source, which you’ll find in the upper right section of the interface. Those can of course also be mapped to anything you want.

Edit: I should probably phrase that a little bit differently. Inserting a Z formula will use continuous pressure to modulate the amount of a source flowing to a destination.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

My only interrogation about Osmose is how we will manage the mpe+ data inside a daw.
With the continuum, I just record it to audio and edit my error with melodyne. But I rarely play chords and melodie in the same time, due to my bad playing skills:)
But with a normal keyboard, it will not be the same, hopefully.
The Z is 14bit cc, I presume, we will need to edit 2 cc per axis.... ( I'm not a 14 bits cc wizard)
For now, my only solution , for now, would be to send Osmose to Melda Msf, which has the fastest vsti cc response, near the Eaganmatrix and manage simple mpe cc data.
Best
YY

You need a DAW that supports 14-bit CC lanes and showing multiple MIDI channels at a time in a single view. Cubase should be able to do it, Reaper can also do it.

(Actually, looks like Cubase doesn't support 14-bit CC lanes. Interesting! Hmmm, which other DAWs support editing 14-bit CCs from a single lane? Can't be that Reaper is the only one!)

Thanks Ed,
Reaper is my main daw, but I don't know how to edit special 14 bits cc :
From the manual.
Mpe+ Z value with 14 bits of accuracy : the 7 LSBs are encoded with cc 87. When cc 87 is followed by channels pressure, the cc87 bits are appended as LSBs to the channel pressure data bits, for a synchronous 14bit update.
Best
YY

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”