New ExpressiveE instrument: Osmose

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Your post is confusing. You have compacted two separate replies of mine into one quote and have provided a mangled reply in return?

When it comes to the availability of poly-aftertouch in mass produced midi keyboards, we can state facts, not opinions: there aren’t any normal size keyboards (the exception being the Keith Macmillan K-Board) Poly-aftertouch never took off, for one reason or another. Worse still, channel-aftertouch has also seen a decline with some expensive synth/workstations eschewing channel-aftertouch completely.

As to the NORD Lead pitch-stick, sure it’s a matter of opinion. I and many others love it. Have you used it all? What would you improve?
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:22 pm I just watched a video on this and holy sh1t, can the build quality be any worse :shock: The keys are as bumpy and as badly-spaced as a Burmese bridge.
It's a PROTOTYPE unit with 3D printed keys etc.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:22 pm I just watched a video on this and holy sh1t, can the build quality be any worse :shock: The keys are as bumpy and as badly-spaced as a Burmese bridge.
I've mentioned that a few times but the comment was ignored each time. But it looks like they've been hand-carved out of wood and hand painted to me.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:42 pm
I've mentioned that a few times but the comment was ignored each time. But it looks like they've been hand-carved out of wood and hand painted to me.
The replies have all been that it's a prototype, and I understand that. However the point of a prototype is to wow and get people excited. If you want me to preorder something I need to be left with zero doubt as to quality.

I've always said never buy a product for what it may offer (updates, etc) but what it does offer, anything later is a bonus. For me now, all I see is poor build quality that I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

himalaya wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:01 pm Your post is confusing.
When it comes to the availability of poly-aftertouch in mass produced midi keyboards, we can state facts, not opinions: there aren’t any normal size keyboards (the exception being the Keith Macmillan K-Board).
The Hydrasynth (Hydrasynth) supports poly-after-touch. The problem is how precisely and good can you control it using those flat and ancient piano keys, that should have been replaced at least 70+ years ago (although most of us were not born back then but the concept was).

I do not have much time to explain and there is no point to do it. Maybe I can dig up some old design renders from my first hard drive (amazingly still functioning) or some of the backups if I find them.... it's been a while.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:52 pm I've always said never buy a product for what it may offer (updates, etc) but what it does offer, anything later is a bonus. For me now, all I see is poor build quality that I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.
Pre-orders are nice way for startup funds, especially in the last phases of pre-manufacturing.
The problem is you have to chose, a marketing strategy for pre-orders costs, especially if you have to hire some well known names to boost up the hype. It works apparently.
I said what preoccupies me: the limiting design of the keyboard (too much bound to the standard flat one), which is not suitable for such product!
I am not impressed by the "soft touch" or volume dynamic response of it. Vibrato is good... but I am waiting for proper Pitch Bend (and it does not have to be more than 4 polyphonic) demonstration.
:pray:

Sorry for the sorta-OT question:

How can I mute or block posts by “angry man” and “Mr. False Humility”? I looked, but couldn’t find out if this forum provides that functionality.

Thanks!

Here, let me fix that for you - "How can I make sure I never have to look at any opinions that might challenge my preconceived notions and/or teach me anything I didn't already know?" Seriously, if you don't want to read a post by a particular individual, just don't read it. It ain't hard.

I tried the ignore function on a few people but it makes it much harder to follow a thread if one of those individuals is active in it, so you end up unmuting them anyway, just so you can follow what's going on. Easier just to skip them most of the time.
Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:52 pmHowever the point of a prototype is to wow and get people excited. If you want me to preorder something I need to be left with zero doubt as to quality.
That's what I'm thinking, too. Another thing with it is if that's all anyone has played, who knows how close it will turn out to be to the final, mass-produced item? Lastly, this is clearly nowhere near ready for production, it could be a year or more before anyone gets one, which is a long time to wait.
I've always said never buy a product for what it may offer (updates, etc) but what it does offer, anything later is a bonus.
Agree 100%. When I buy anything it's because it works for me now. Mostly I assume it will never be updated so if/when it is, it's a nice bonus.
Last edited by BONES on Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Pashkuli wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:01 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:52 pm I've always said never buy a product for what it may offer (updates, etc) but what it does offer, anything later is a bonus. For me now, all I see is poor build quality that I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.
Pre-orders are nice way for startup funds, especially in the last phases of pre-manufacturing.
The problem is you have to chose, a marketing strategy for pre-orders costs, especially if you have to hire some well known names to boost up the hype. It works apparently.
I said what preoccupies me: the limiting design of the keyboard (too much bound to the standard flat one), which is not suitable for such product!
I am not impressed by the "soft touch" or volume dynamic response of it. Vibrato is good... but I am waiting for proper Pitch Bend (and it does not have to be more than 4 polyphonic) demonstration.
:pray:
Ok let me word it this way. At the moment they don't yet have a single fully finished production ready model, or else they'd show it. So any preorders are based on blind faith of what the company is capable of. Sorry, but that's too much of a risk for me.

Good luck to the early adopters.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

AnalogDigits wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:03 pm Sorry for the sorta-OT question:

How can I mute or block posts by “angry man” and “Mr. False Humility”? I looked, but couldn’t find out if this forum provides that functionality.

Thanks!
Click on the "offender's" username. Then choose "Add foe", Confirm with "Yes". Done.
If you need any help with English, please ask.

Pashkuli wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:53 pm
himalaya wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:01 pm Your post is confusing.
When it comes to the availability of poly-aftertouch in mass produced midi keyboards, we can state facts, not opinions: there aren’t any normal size keyboards (the exception being the Keith Macmillan K-Board).
The Hydrasynth (Hydrasynth) supports poly-after-touch.
So Hydrasynth and the K-Board. There might be a couple more. This by no means shows that poly-aftertouch has been implemented by all companies and is in wide use, that it “took off”. None of the big companies have keyboards with poly-aft.

We can say that the implementation of the pitch and mod wheels took off ever since Bob Moog first implemented them on the Minimoog. Now, the Yamaha CS80 and the SCI Prophet T8 are almost just as old and they featured poly-aft, and where is it now in a new Yamaha synth, or a new Prophet, or a new Korg, Roland? It’s just not there.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:22 pm We can say that the implementation of the pitch and mod wheels took off ever since Bob Moog first implemented them on the Minimoog. Now, the Yamaha CS80 and the SCI Prophet T8 are almost just as old and they featured poly-aft, and where is it now in a new Yamaha synth, or a new Prophet, or a new Korg, Roland? It’s just not there.
I thought we discussed that many pages before. Let me say this:
They do not understand what after-touch should be most suitable for... and that is Note/Pitch Bend up - similar to what guitarists use (95% of the time for pitch bend).
On my Korg after-touch usually makes some dist/modulation or sinusoidal vibrato (awful, artificial). Yes, it can be edited, re-assigned, depending on the patch.

But it MUST be implemented as a proper poly (×4 is more than enough) pitch/note bend (for not more than a major third interval UP). That is it! But they do not understand Music, Design, etc.
Same to the piano keys.
Same to the Mod Wheel and Pitch Wheel.
Same to... I can list more things.

You're assuming these decisions are driven by manufacturers but they aren't, they are driven by the market. If people wanted poly aftertouch, then Roland, Yamaha and Korg would be offering it, guaranteed. It's just not nearly as useful as you'd like to think it is. I sure as hell wouldn't pay an extra $1 for it.

The more keyboards I try with aftertouch the less I find it quite what I want -- I loved the idea of it but am finding unless it's a Seaboard or something like this, that lets you map the aftertouch the whole key travel, just that little press at the end is really more of an on/off switch than an expressive effect you can control the range of.

So I can understand why it and poly AT are rare.
Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - NS Wav5C Electric Cello - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra
whitepianos.blogspot.com

puremusic wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:39 amSo I can understand why it and poly AT are rare.
Well, it is simply put - badly designed - not that it is not useful.

On the Seaboard you have an active spot, which position, shape and size and the change of those in time, get assigned by software to whatever "dimensions" you need: velocity, after-touch, release, vibrato, pitch slide ("""bend"""), modulation.

MIDI protocol also contributes to the limitations, although they tried to re-establish its rules per channel, so it can support MPE. This thing (MIDI) should have been dead already. The problem is its vast implementation in the last 40 years.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”