Uno Drum or...

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm looking for a compact drum machine that eventually will compliment my Roland boutique stuff for small live setup.
Just saw that the Uno Drum is around 200eu at Thomann and I'm tempted.
I've never explored the drum world so... are there any good alternatives?

Being into the boutiques you will probably know about tr8 and 9.
You can check Volca Drum and/or Volca Sample, Volca Beats for a minimal sound.
Another good machine is Sonic Potions LXR but it's d.i.y. or going through one of the trusted builder, if they're still around.

Then you can check the higher priced MFB or the bigger Rolands, I suppose...

Teenage Engineering Pocket Operators are an option too.

Depends on the type of music you make I think. The Behringer clone of an 808 appears to be great and it's 300 Euro. The Unu drum sounds nice too. I'd steer away from the Korg Volca drum though, sounds bloody awful! If you want to program a sequence yourself than 16 step buttons in "808 style" are a must. Don't buy a drum machine that does not have 16 buttons to program a sequence.

If you do not want "electronic" (synthesized) sounding drums you can also try one of those cheap ones that are hard to program like the Alesis SR-16. Been around for ages and dirt cheap. Buy it 2nd hand or new for 150 Euro. People use that one mainly w/ the built in patterns. Contains a tot of sampled "real" and "electronic" drums.

I personally love my 2nd hand antique Korg ER-1. You can make a patch for your own synthesized sounds and it has 16 step sequencer programming.

BTW Youtube is your friend. Look 'm up and listen. :)

Thanks for the recommendations guys.

I've did a little research and although the Uno Drum looks pretty sexy the mono out is a bit problematic for me.
Maybe I'll go for TR-8S at the end.

MeneerJansen wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:29 am ...I'd steer away from the Korg Volca drum though, sounds bloody awful!

I personally love my 2nd hand antique Korg ER-1.
Don’t mind me. Just keeping the two sentences close enough for a quick laugh. :hihi:

waiting man wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:41 pm
MeneerJansen wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:29 am ...I'd steer away from the Korg Volca drum though, sounds bloody awful!

I personally love my 2nd hand antique Korg ER-1.
Don’t mind me. Just keeping the two sentences close enough for a quick laugh. :hihi:
I take it you've never heard the ER-1?

Volca drum is way better then the uno.analog drum.machine its bullshit when u play 10 min u get super bored with it only certain machines like tempest go.further but so its the price.Volca drum its much better then korg er1 because it have dual layer the sequencer its sick as well.

Thumbs Up for the Volca Drum

I have one and it is a ton of Fun and very versatile.

Bady89 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:49 am Thumbs Up for the Volca Drum

I have one and it is a ton of Fun and very versatile.
Said to myself no more gear plugins are good enough and bought next minute the volca drum got eventide h9 and definetely will be interesting to hear perc patterns trough it its good extra texture

I have a little experience with Volca Beats and Arturia Drumbrute Impact.
VB: Volca's can run on batteries and have built-in little speakers.
Beats offers only the bare essentials, but it has a nice stutter performance effect.
ADI: I'm fond of polymetric rhythms, this machine's sequencer parts can be set to different lengths. It offers a little more parameters to control and sounds nice. Up to 5 outputs.

I very recently bought an Arturia Beatstep Pro MIDI sequencer, which might be another approach that suits your needs, if you already have your drum sounds sorted (and it may prove useful with synths as well).

I'm planning to buy Behringer's 808 and 909 clones, too.
I saw a few rather cheap used Roland digital boutique 808s when those were announced, they may keep popping up if their owners prefer Behringers.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”