How to get the best out of my microphones?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How can I get the most clean signal with no feedback of my microphones? I use a Behringer x32 console, and usually we judge the mics by having someone sing and pushing the gain until it just hits the orange on the l/r meter. (each mic is about +25 gain on the mixer, 0 gain on actual mic itself, 12 o clock on mic receivers).
They work fine if you're just talking or whatever, but when the whole band gets going a lot of the time voices are drowned out. If I boost the gain more, or dca/fader more, there's feedbacking. I tried maybe using compression and using the makeup gain, but that's no good either.
Here's our gear/stage setup
Roland TD-50 electric drum kit (so no open mics. Actually, all of our instruments are electric.)
5 Seinheiser mics
7 Seinheiser g2 IEMs
2 Floor wedges (but even when they're turned off and we're just using iems mics will feedback if I give them more gain)
The stage is a T shape. The two floor wedges are on either side of the "top" of the T, kinda facing diagonal. The singers stand just about where the "top" bit would intersect with the sort of walkway jutting down the middle. (I really hope this makes sense :hihi: )
I'm having all the singers hold their mics properly so that it's nice and close to their mouth.
Like I said, gain on mics are fine but not where I'd like them to be.
But maybe my expectations are too high, lol. Instruments and music videos we play on screens (we're a church) can go way louder so that it's comfortable that anybody who wants to sing doesn't feel like their voices are on display. This is how I'd like live band to be, but is that feasible?
I really don't like bringing everything else down so that the vocals can actually be heard. Would having the vocalists stand further down the "jutting out walkway part" do anything for me?
:help:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”