Roland MC-707 & 101 Grooveboxes

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not sure if these have been posted here yet but...

Roland MC-707 Groovebox Drum Machine, Sampler and Sequencer

£879.00

Videos...

https://youtu.be/dadV-S42gHQ

https://youtu.be/rZET3FyS7Us

Sonic State

https://youtu.be/lZ9aY0SEORU

Loopop

https://youtu.be/-tKJVFOSqY4

Roland are responsible for some of the most iconic drum machines and production gear of all time. With the MC-707, they’ve demonstrated their groovebox prowess, combining classic Roland sound with cutting-edge functionality. Equal parts drum machine, synthesizer, sampler, sequencer and controller, this is a production powerhouse that’s armed to the teeth!

From Quick Beats to Full Tracks
Just like the classic 707, 808 and 909 drum machines, the MC-707 is designed with quick, punchy groove-making in mind. You’ve got 8 assignable tracks at your disposal, with 16 ultra-sensitive pads for playing or sequencing drums, basslines or chord progressions.

Add a wealth of onboard sounds, comprehensive TR-REC sequencing, in-depth sampling tools, and you’ve got the ability to create a professional-sounding track end-to-end.

Studio Quality Synths and Effects
The MC-707 comes equipped with Roland’s latest sound engine, combining virtual analog with modern PCM. This means a mixture of classic and state-of-the-art sounds with DAW-like flexibility, all in one place. And yes, it includes the Roland classics: TR-808, TR-909, TB-303, JUNO-106, and SH-101.

You can take these incredible sounds a step further with the MC-707’s built-in effects. All 8 tracks have independent effects processors with a huge number of variations. From lush modulation to mind-bending ambience, amp simulation to wild distortion. Add the final touch with master effects like filters, bit-crushers and bus compression for polished punchiness.

Intuitive Controls and Connectivity
Those familiar with Roland’s line-up may recognise the control panel as being similar to their Aira series. Vibrant backlit pads, intuitive faders, an easily-navigable button layout. The addition of a LCD screen makes tracking and composing easier than ever.

MIDI in/out and numerous stereo outputs allow you to easily integrate the MC-707 into your existing rig. Whether you want it as a DAW controller or a fully-fledged centerpiece, it can hack it. You can connect it via USB and use as an interface; all 8 tracks can be individually recorded into your DAW.

Specifications
Sound Engine: ZEN-Core (Tone, Drum Kit)
Maximum Polyphony: ZEN-Core: 128 voices (varies according to the sound generator load), Looper: 8 (varies according to the available number of Looper track)
Tracks: 8 tracks
Clips: 128 clips (16 clips per track)
Preset Tones: 3,000+
Preset Drum Kits: 80+
User Sample (as a Tone or Drum Kit): available by importing form SD CARD
Looper Sample (as a clip of Looper track): available by importing from SD CARD, recording via EXT IN/Tracks
Available total time for User Sample: 12 minutes in mono, 6 minutes in stereo (44.1 kHz)
Available format of User Sample: WAV 32--96 kHz/16-bit, 24-bit (mono, stereo)
Available total time for Looper Sample: Approx. 60 sec (44.1 kHz)
Available format of Looper Sample: WAV 44.1 kHz/16-bit, 24-bit, 32-bit, 32-bit float (mono, stereo)
Track Multi-Effects: 90 types
Chorus/Delay: 9 types
Reverb: 7 types
Master Effects: 90 types
Master Compressor
Master EQ
Step Sequencer Maximum Steps: 128 steps
Looper: Time Stretch, Pitch Shift
Display: 256 x 80 dots graphic LCD (with backlit)
External Storage: SD Card (SDHC supported) for saving Project Data and Audio Data
Connectivity
Phones jack: Stereo 1/4-inch phone type
Mix out (L/MONO, R) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
Assignable out (L,R) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
Send/return (L/MONO, R) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
Ext in (L/MONO/MIC, R) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type (it works as 1/4-inch TRS phone type when using MIC)
MIDI (IN, OUT1, OUT2) connectors
USB port: USB B type (Audio, MIDI)
DC IN jack
Power Supply: AC adaptor, 2,000 mA
Dimensions & weight
426 (W) x 263 (D) x 60 (H) mm
16-13/16 (W) x 10-3/8 (D) x 2-3/8 (H) inches
Weight: 2.1 kg / 4 lbs 11 oz
Accessories
AC adaptor
Owner's manual
Leaflet "Using the Unit Safely"
SD Card (installed in the product when shipped from the factory)
SD Card Protector (installed in the product when shipped from the factory)

also this...

Roland MC-101 Groovebox Drum Machine, Sampler and Sequencer

£439.00

Roland are responsible for some of the most iconic drum machines and production gear of all time. With the MC-101, they’ve demonstrated their groovebox prowess, combining classic Roland sound with cutting-edge functionality. Equal parts drum machine, synthesizer, sampler, sequencer and controller, this is a production powerhouse that’s armed to the teeth – it even runs off AA batteries!

Portable Beat-making
Just like the classic 707, 808 and 909 drum machines, the MC-101 is designed with quick, punchy groove-making in mind, but with a pocket-sized portable form factor. You’ve got 4 assignable tracks at your disposal, with 16 ultra-sensitive pads for playing or sequencing drums, basslines or chord progressions.

Add a wealth of onboard sounds, easy sequencing and sampling tools, and 5-hour AA battery power, and you’ve got the ability to create a professional-sounding track end-to-end.

Studio Quality Synths and Effects
The MC-101 comes equipped with a mixture of classic and state-of-the-art sounds with DAW-like flexibility, all in one place. And yes, it includes the Roland classics: TR-808, TR-909, TB-303, JUNO-106, and SH-101.

You can take these incredible sounds a step further with the MC-101’s built-in effects. All 4 tracks have independent effects processors with a huge number of variations. From lush modulation to mind-bending ambience, amp simulation to wild distortion. Add the final touch with master effects like filters, bit-crushers and bus compression for polished punchiness.

Intuitive Controls and Connectivity
Those familiar with Roland’s line-up may recognise the control panel as being similar to their Aira series but in a pocket-sized design. Vibrant backlit pads, intuitive faders, an easily-navigable button layout. The addition of a handy screen makes tracking and composing easier than ever.

MIDI in/out, stereo output and a headphone connector allows you to easily integrate the MC-101 into your existing rig. Whether you want it as a DAW controller or a fully-fledged centerpiece, it can hack it. You can connect it via USB and use as an interface; all 4 tracks can be individually recorded into your DAW.

Specifications
Sound Engine: ZEN-Core (Tone, Drum Kit)
Maximum Polyphony: ZEN-Core: 128 voices (varies according to the sound generator load), Looper: 4 (varies according to the available number of Looper track)
Tracks: 4 tracks
Clips: 64 clips (16 clips per track)
Preset Tones: 3,000+
Preset Drum Kits: 80+
User Sample (as a Tone or Drum Kit): available by importing form SD CARD
Looper Sample (as a clip of Looper track): available by importing from SD CARD, recording via EXT IN/Tracks
Available total time for User Sample: 12 minutes in mono, 6 minutes in stereo (44.1 kHz)
Available format of User Sample: WAV 32--96 kHz/16-bit, 24-bit (mono, stereo)
Available total time for Looper Sample: Approx. 60 sec (44.1 kHz)
Available format of Looper Sample: WAV 44.1 kHz/16-bit, 24-bit, 32-bit, 32-bit float (mono, stereo)
Track Multi-Effects: 90 types
Chorus/Delay: 9 types
Reverb: 7 types
Master Effects: 90 types
Master Compressor
Master EQ
Step Sequencer Maximum Steps: 128 steps
Looper: Time Stretch, Pitch Shift
Display: 16 characters, 2 lines LCD (with backlit)
External Storage: SD Card (SDHC supported) for saving Project Data and Audio Data
Connectivity
Phones jack: Stereo 1/4-inch phone type
Mix out (L/MONO, R) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
MIDI (IN, OUT) connectors
USB port: USB B type (Audio, MIDI)
Power: USB Bus powered
Battery Power: Alkaline battery (AA, LR6) x 4 / Ni-MH battery (AA, HR6) x 4
Dimensions & weight
224(W) x 132(D) x 61(H) mm
8-13/16 (W) x 5-3/16 (D) x 2-7/16 (H) inches
Weight: 716 g / 1 lb 9 oz
Accessories
Owner's manual
Alkaline battery (AA, LR6) x 4
SD Card (installed in the product when shipped from the factory)
SD Card Protector (installed in the product when shipped from the factory)
Last edited by rob_lee on Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Roland appear to be in fire atm.
Saw these and sorely tempted if I had the money haha.

MFXxx wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:34 pm Roland appear to be in fire atm.
Saw these and sorely tempted if I had the money haha.
MC-707 looks good but it's pricey. I do like the little sequencer screen tho :tu:

Very very tempted to get a 101 but I have some crucial questions.

1 are acoustic and electric pianos presets any good? Are they just synth pianos or real sampled ones?

2 Can i connect a usb keyboard (Akai lpk25)?
And, since Mc101 is usb powered, how can I simultaneously power up the device and use a usb keyboard with just one usb plug?

3 is the reverb the same quality of Boss RV500?
Is the slicer the same as MD500, with same options and features?

Sorry I couldn't find the answers on the manual and videos.
Any answer is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Pre-ordered the 707 here in UK, but alas I am away on holiday from Friday til October in Florida, so be a few weeks til I can get my hands on it :)
Ableton Live 11,Push 3/Deepmind 12D, Roland VT4, TR-8S, Roland Fantom 06, Zoom MS-70CDR

My Korg 707 is cheaper and more fun. :troll:

it seems to me that if you were the market for something like this, the deluge offers quite a bit more...for less $$.
ImageImageImage

Updated first post videos

Loopop Review

https://youtu.be/-tKJVFOSqY4

Looks promising. I can live with the colors. Is this the future? :)

Just ordered the MC707 looking forward to checking it out tomorrow 👍

Let me know how you get on Rob. I do like the look of the 707 but as you say it's pricey. I've also heard rumours that it's a little underpowered and the DSP struggles to keep up with input at times. The older MC909 was like that too.

Likely to sound great though, my TR8S sounds amazing. Not thick and 'analogue', but that shiny other thing that Roland do so well.

tehlord wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:56 am Let me know how you get on Rob. I do like the look of the 707 but as you say it's pricey. I've also heard rumours that it's a little underpowered and the DSP struggles to keep up with input at times. The older MC909 was like that too.

Likely to sound great though, my TR8S sounds amazing. Not thick and 'analogue', but that shiny other thing that Roland do so well.
Yeah I had a TR8s for a while but after looking in to the MC-707 I thought it might just be up my street, DPD will deliver tomorrow so imminent photos to come :D
I like the screen with the clips n stuff and it seems to be a great sound design tool too. Just downloaded the manual to have a little read. Not many videos out there yet and most are that SHITE Hip Hop or Drum and Bass crap lol.. I want this for House and Techno stuff, can sequence this new MS-1 I'm getting from Andertons soon.

PS

Owned MC-303/505/909 never did try the MC-808 tho

My Behringer K2 arrives tomorrow too :hihi:

tehlord wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:16 pm My Behringer K2 arrives tomorrow too :hihi:
Very nice :tu: Still pondering either OB6 or REV2 16voice.. hmm keyboard or rack is the question lol :lol:

rob_lee wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:18 pm
tehlord wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:16 pm My Behringer K2 arrives tomorrow too :hihi:
Very nice :tu: Still pondering either OB6 or REV2 16voice.. hmm keyboard or rack is the question lol :lol:
Tough call. OB6 for tone, REV2 for features. Shame you live so far away, you could pop over and try both, and then buy one of my spare Prologue's :roll:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”