Hydrasynth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:44 pmSynth sounds nice, but, 8 voices is not nearly enough.
For what? 8 is at least twice as many as I'd need, assuming the oscillators have built-in unison.
EvilDragon wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:39 amWhen things are beefy enough, and they certainly are on Hydrasynth, and also when you have this great quality reverb with possibly infinite tails... Filters sound better than Virus filters. Oscillators are not bandlimited like crazy and don't sound as dark like Virus oscillators do... FM also sounds much better than on Virus
Have you used/got one or are you just going by the audio in the YouTube videos?
pdxindy wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:40 amI want some polyphony so I can play something like an EP sound with both hands and not immediately hear voice stealing... and I don't want to have to cover it with a bunch of reverb.
But you only need one instrument that can do that, it doesn't have to be every piece of kit you own, surely? Personally, Id' see that as what my computer is for - all the processing power in the world to play as many voices as you like.
EvilDragon wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:03 amLoopop has a 50 minute in-depth video where you can clearly hear how these things sound. Couple that with some experience from using a Virus, that's perfectly enough to form an opinion.
No, it isn't. It is enough to get a vague impression and that's about all.

Anyway, it seems like a pretty cool thing but it is way too expensive and far too big for my liking. I daresay MicroMonsta has it beat on versatility and sound, too, for about one-fifth the price. In fact you could buy a Roli Songmaker kit, or 2 x Seaboard Blocks, plus a MicroMonsta and have something even cooler for less money.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:52 am
chk071 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:44 pmSynth sounds nice, but, 8 voices is not nearly enough.
For what? 8 is at least twice as many as I'd need, assuming the oscillators have built-in unison.
Doesn't the unison count limit the number of voices? E.g., if you use 8x unison, the synth is monophonic? I understood it that way.

You're wasting your time - No concept of chords with long release times and note stealing.

chk071 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:41 am
Doesn't the unison count limit the number of voices? E.g., if you use 8x unison, the synth is monophonic? I understood it that way.
That's one thing, but there's also mutator which allows up to 5 voices of unisons in-place.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

BONES wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:52 amHave you used/got one or are you just going by the audio in the YouTube videos?
I have my share of experience with Virus C, TI and Snow... As I said, perfectly enough to form an opinion.

I also own the Micromonsta. It has nothing on this thing as far as versatility is concerned. Just the filters alone are much more diverse in Hydrasynth (and actually do proper self-resonance, Micromonsta's filter is shy and safe in that regard). And then there's 4 FX vs just one in Micromonsta, and FX sound way better on Hydrasynth. And then there's much deeper modulation posibilities that are not there in Micromonsta. Really, they're nothing alike and Micromonsta lags in features severely. It still sounds great, of course, but as a point of comparison it is just not a good one.

No, I meant have you had access to a Hydrasynth. You are talking about it like you've been using it for ages but I suspect you don't know any more about it than the rest of us. Filters are one thing but MicroMonsta has how many different kinds of oscillator? e.g. Using the phase distortion oscillator, which has both of the original CZ's resonant waveforms, in conjunction with the filter will likely yield results that Hydrasynth would struggle to match. I'm not dissing Hydrasynth, it actually looks really good, but it's not cheap for what it is and I do struggle to see the value in it. i.e. It seems a lot like an updated Ultranova to me but it's basically double the price.
Aliens wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:51 amYou're wasting your time - No concept of chords with long release times and note stealing.
The point is that you are not going to need every thing that you use to be able to handle that and you are not going to only have this one synth. So if it is something you can do now, you will still be able to do it if you buy one of these. I have literally dozens of softsynths that could handle that work, for example, as well as an Ultranova if I absolutely had to do it in hardware.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Knowing full well you can't play quick chords with long release times on an ultranova without note stealing, a couple of people have given valid reasons for wanting more than 8 note polyphony. All the reasons you state how it's okay are immaterial, given how you have no idea whether it's going to be their main, or only hardware synth in their arsenal, whether they even want to use software, regardless of whether they really like the sound of the synth and want more than 8 notes.

We all know, as a contrarian, and one loathe to admit they've got the stinky end of the stick or are just simply wrong, it's okay. I'm sure they, like I will, and just have a laugh at your habitual intransigence and move on.

pdxindy wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:40 amI want some polyphony so I can play something like an EP sound with both hands and not immediately hear voice stealing... and I don't want to have to cover it with a bunch of reverb.
But you only need one instrument that can do that, it doesn't have to be every piece of kit you own, surely? Personally, Id' see that as what my computer is for - all the processing power in the world to play as many voices as you like.
My comment was in the context of my current hardware setup. I have 5 hardware synths that are all 8 voices or less. So I want a higher polyphony digital synth but there are not many new synths available that have plenty of polyphony... thus my interest in Kyra.

Does it have to be a new synth? Ultranova is extremely good and has 18 voice polyphony.

BONES wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:07 am Does it have to be a new synth?
of course it does, new is better

It was still new a year ago, you could probably still find one somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74NFyK2K85I

Some really interesting stuff here. Methinks comparisons with Ultranova are not really that good. :)

has polyphony gone up?

Why would it?

cos 8 is piss poor for a digital synth

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”