Hydrasynth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Out of nowhere! Affordable Chinese digital synth, which to me appears feature-complete, yet with manageable controls :clap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rJd_j9_Ixs

Polyphonic aftertouch, 8 voices + CV input and output, hard sync or FM on wavetables - you name it.
Last edited by DJ Warmonger on Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

And poly aftertouch, don't forget :)

8 voice poly :roll:

Poly aftertouch...very cool. Sounds so far...meh (listening to Sonic State right now just because it was short, but really need to watch the Loopop). Some of the velocity based stuff Nick does near the beginning is cool.

But 8 voices...who do they think they are, Roland??? :shrug:

edit: watching Loopop now. UI is great and well thought out.
Last edited by Synthient Sound on Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Please be out of my price range......

$799 desktop, $1299 keyboard, MAP. Sounds pretty spiffy to me. The featureset is nearly insane. They did their homework. You have mutators, which is something like phase mangling tools in Massive X or Zebra's Osc FX, you have oscillators panning between two filters, serial/parallel filter routing, 4 FX units, reverb sounds great, filters are quite nice, oscillators seem quite clean (loopop video he does some quite wide bends with the ribbon and it all checks out nicely), there's modulation for DAYS in here.... and UI is extremely well thought out. They tick nearly all the boxes for me! (5 octaves, more polyphony and multitimbral are missing in my case.)

Synth sounds nice, but, 8 voices is not nearly enough.

It would be great to see a 5 octave multitimbral versions with more voices (for more money of course).

chk071 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:44 pm Synth sounds nice, but, 8 voices is not nearly enough.
Depends on the sound. 8 voices is perfectly enough on Quantum. When things are beefy enough, and they certainly are on Hydrasynth, and also when you have this great quality reverb with possibly infinite tails, voice count may not matter that much. I'd still love it if it had more voices, but it's not a dealbreaker considering all the other pros.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:39 am
chk071 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:44 pm Synth sounds nice, but, 8 voices is not nearly enough.
Depends on the sound. 8 voices is perfectly enough on Quantum. When things are beefy enough, and they certainly are on Hydrasynth, and also when you have this great quality reverb with possibly infinite tails, voice count may not matter that much. I'd still love it if it had more voices, but it's not a dealbreaker considering all the other pros.
8 voices is enough... except when it isn't.

I just ordered Black Corporation's Xerxes (Elka Syntex clone) which is an 8 voice analog. If I am willing to put up with 8 voices, it must be something special.

But for an all digital synth? I want some polyphony so I can play something like an EP sound with both hands and not immediately hear voice stealing... and I don't want to have to cover it with a bunch of reverb. Digital lends itself to polyphony, but it seems that a lot of digital synths now set frustratingly low limits. That is why the upcoming Waldorf Kyra interests me... lots of polyphony!

pdxindy wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:40 amDigital lends itself to polyphony, but it seems that a lot of digital synths now set frustratingly low limits.
My thinking about that is that more DSP juice is thrown at the quality of algorithms, which reduces available polyphony. Putting more DSP chips inside increases costs, so...

well its not multitimbral which makes in such case something like Virus Ti Desktop 2 still more atractive even after 10 years. Or better Virus Ti Snow if you can find it for 400-600 eu

It does things Virus can only dream about, so...

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:49 am It does things Virus can only dream about, so...
Really? like? :lol: mutators is the only advantage. But again, virus can do all that stuff without having mutators. Those physical extras like poly aftertouche doesnt matter for producer.

Filters sound better than Virus filters. Oscillators are not bandlimited like crazy and don't sound as dark like Virus oscillators do. You can build your own wavetable from the waveforms that are in there, on Virus you can't. Modulation is much more advanced. Macros. CV...

And no, Virus cannot do all things that Mutators do (like 3 different types of PWM). Oh yeah, FM also sounds much better than on Virus... So no, Virus is not really more attractive than this.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”