Looking for very similar synths to the Roland JX-3P

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

poly 61, was ok, but heavy as f**k, and stuff like the filter was buttons 1-7, not a continuous knob, no good for live tweaking.

great bass sound tho

I like Zerocrossing's suggestion of a Juno Alpha (or Juno Alpha2) They don't have the resonance bite of the other Juno's but they cover a lot of the sound. They can be found cheaply as well. It becomes less cheap if you need the PG300. I doubt you could find a real one but the JP06 remake, or one of the older Jupiter, Juno, or J3Xp remakes sound very close to that Roland sound. Yamaha DX7's (Or one of the many FM Synth Modules from that time) from around then and Ensoniq SQ1's along with the D50 (you could look at the D5 remake) around that price range. Also Behringer's MS1 looks to be a good 101 clone. Behringer's Deep Mind 6 also could come close to your price range used if you are patient.

AnX wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:05 pm poly 61, was ok, but heavy as f**k, and stuff like the filter was buttons 1-7, not a continuous knob, no good for live tweaking.

great bass sound tho
I personally love the sound of the Poly 61, but the non midi version go for $500+ and $750+ with midi.
But agreed, not a good live tweaker.

2nd hand Behringer Deepmind? Though not from the 80s, it's inspired by it.

https://youtu.be/Ynm44MeqPfk

I'm looking for synthesizers that are very similar to the Roland JX-3P, in regards to sounds, mainly. I've already heard of the Roland JX-8P, but I don't know about any others.

I'm considering buying a Roland JX-3P, but before I do, I want to find synths that are similar, so I can compare options/features, so I know that I get the synth I want, that will work the best for me.

Some features that are the most important to me:
  • 80s Hardware Synthesizer
  • 80s sounds
  • Polyphonic
  • Programmable
  • Knobs, Buttons, Faders, Wheels, etc.
80s :
  • leads
  • pads
  • synthpop-esque sounds (if possible)
  • Juno/Roland-y style sounds
  • jx-3p style sounds
  • brass (EG. Brassy Pads, Leads, etc.)
  • Aftertouch (If possible)
  • Nice-Looking (Not that important, really)
Thanks!
Last edited by Fox_GAMING_NTF on Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

the other two threads didn't work then :roll:

viewtopic.php?f=102&t=532269

viewtopic.php?f=102&t=531137

AnX wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:40 pm the other two threads didn't work then :roll:

I've figured out that the Roland JX-3P is the best option, now I just want to find synths that are similar to it. With those old threads, I didn't know what I wanted exactly, now, I've figured out the style/features I'm looking for.

I'm sorry, what am I supposed to do? Edit the old threads? Delete them?

Fox_GAMING_NTF wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:13 pm
AnX wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:40 pm the other two threads didn't work then :roll:

I've figured out that the Roland JX-3P is the best option, now I just want to find synths that are similar to it. With those old threads, I didn't know what I wanted exactly, now, I've figured out the style/features I'm looking for.

I merged them all. You could edit the first post to change the thread title to reflect what you're now looking for.
No longer a moderator.

D.H. Miltz wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:08 am
Fox_GAMING_NTF wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:13 pm

I merged them all. You could edit the first post to change the thread title to reflect what you're now looking for.
Ok, thank you.

Fox_GAMING_NTF wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:19 am Sorry everyone, I meant, like, synthwave, synth pop-styled music. And also just generally very 80's sounding, well, sounds are what I'm looking for.
There is no synthesizer styled for 80s. You can do 80s with any synthesizer you have, unless you are just searching for presets, therefore not all synths hired sound designers to do that. But by the nature 80s sounds are easy to make, because they generaly are quire simple. I can make Serum sound like 80s, my Virus ti like 80s...

Id go with System 8 if i were you to give the "spirit of the 80s"

Anyways here's some food for thought for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahPindVHPK4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfWblANNJPQ

IMO, the jx8p is highly underrated, and can be programmed with things other than the actual pg-800.

Might be worth a look.

edit: Check out some of the YT demos (custom patches, in particular). About as 80s as it gets for a poly.
Last edited by kvotchin on Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

The most similar looking synth I could find:

http://www.kitmonsters.com/kit/casio/ca ... iotone-403

Not from the 80's but considered Deepmind 12 or 12D? Check YT for tons of vids...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”