Looking for very similar synths to the Roland JX-3P

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm looking for synthesizers that are very similar to the Roland JX-3P, in regards to sounds, mainly. I've already heard of the Roland JX-8P, but I don't know about any others.

I'm considering buying a Roland JX-3P, but before I do, I want to find synths that are similar, so I can compare options/features, so I know that I get the synth I want, that will work the best for me.

Some features that are the most important to me:
  • 80s Hardware Synthesizer
  • 80s sounds
  • Polyphonic
  • Programmable
  • Knobs, Buttons, Faders, Wheels, etc.
80s :
  • leads
  • pads
  • synthpop-esque sounds (if possible)
  • Juno/Roland-y style sounds
  • jx-3p style sounds
  • brass (EG. Brassy Pads, Leads, etc.)
  • Aftertouch (If possible)
  • Nice-Looking (Not that important, really)
Thanks!
Last edited by Fox_GAMING_NTF on Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

You might want to check out some of the least expensive gear from Dave Smith Instruments. Back in the 80s, Dave created the Prophet-5, Prophet-10, Pro-One, etc. His new flagship synths are some of the best ever made. He also made some recent budget models as well. His recent MoPho series of instruments were fairly inexpensive, for example.

Then again, there's always Behringer. They're in the business of selling modern versions of vintage gear, at relatively low prices.

If you need to save even more money, then consider buying a recently manufactured synth on the used market.

Also, buying a keyboardless synth module is a good way to save some extra money, if you already have some hardware you can control it with.
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

There are half a dozen 80s synths on Ebay (UK) for less than £1000 ... https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/80s-Synth-in-P ... 7022813515

Stuff like Korg Poly 61 seem reasonably priced (when they come up for sale) ... I sold one for £100 about 10 years ago. but they're more like £300 these days.

If you buy a used synth from the 80s, expect a high likelihood of significant wear and tear, and the distinct possibility the synth might need some degree of repair work to put it in absolutely 100% working condition—if not when you first buy it, then possibly within the first year of ownership.

I'm not saying people should not buy a synth made in the 80s. There are definitely some bargains out there. Just be realistic in your expectations. Don't be shocked if an older synth would benefit from a bit of maintenance or repairs.
GlenVision.com

What do you mean by 80s synths? Analog like Oberheim? Wavetables like Waldorf? FM like Yamaha? Sample-based like late 80s Roland and Korg?
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:41 pm What do you mean by 80s synths? Analog like Oberheim? Wavetables like Waldorf? FM like Yamaha? Sample-based like late 80s Roland and Korg?
and define "80s style music".
you probably aren't referring to my version of the 80s :hihi:

vurt wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:57 pm
deastman wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:41 pm What do you mean by 80s synths? Analog like Oberheim? Wavetables like Waldorf? FM like Yamaha? Sample-based like late 80s Roland and Korg?
and define "80s style music".
you probably aren't referring to my version of the 80s :hihi:
That's true. Not everyone spent the 80s listening to the band "Mankini Gasmask". :wink:

Note: I'm adding Mankini Gasmask to my list of bands to write about.
GlenVision.com

:lol:

Sorry everyone, I meant, like, synthwave, synth pop-styled music. And also just generally very 80's sounding, well, sounds are what I'm looking for.

Many 80s DCO-based polysynths are still quite affordable, especially those that used buttons and incremental data entry wheels instead of knobs or sliders. E.g. JX-8P/3P (without the optional programmers), Alpha Juno 1/2 and MKS-50, Matrix 6/6R and 1000, Korg Poly-61/800 etc. Depending on the MIDI spec, you can sometimes control them with software editors or MIDI controllers. Also digital/analog hybrids or pure digital synths like the Casio CZ-101, Ensoniq ESQ-1 can be had for quite reasonable prices.

I'd also encourage you to take a look at modern synths like the Minilogue XD and DeepMind 6/12. They're in many ways more capable and sound better than budget synths from the 80s, have lots of knobs/sliders for control and since they're at most a couple of years old, you don't have to worry about leaking capacitors or dying voice chips any time soon. Of course it's also possible to achieve this sound with software (there are countless VST emulations of 80s synths). Getting an "80s" sound is more about how you program the patches and also how you voice the chords and which melodies you use.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:02 am Many 80s DCO-based polysynths are still quite affordable, especially those that used buttons and incremental data entry wheels instead of knobs or sliders. E.g. JX-8P/3P (without the optional programmers), Alpha Juno 1/2 and MKS-50, Matrix 6/6R and 1000, Korg Poly-61/800 etc. Depending on the MIDI spec, you can sometimes control them with software editors or MIDI controllers. Also digital/analog hybrids or pure digital synths like the Casio CZ-101, Ensoniq ESQ-1 can be had for quite reasonable prices.

I'd also encourage you to take a look at modern synths like the Minilogue XD and DeepMind 6/12. They're in many ways more capable and sound better than budget synths from the 80s, have lots of knobs/sliders for control and since they're at most a couple of years old, you don't have to worry about leaking capacitors or dying voice chips any time soon. Of course it's also possible to achieve this sound with software (there are countless VST emulations of 80s synths). Getting an "80s" sound is more about how you program the patches and also how you voice the chords and which melodies you use.
Ok, thanks. I have used some VSTs before, however I guess im wanting something physical. I don't have any real physical synths, only a Yamaha DGX-202, which isn't even a synth, it's a piano, and an old organ (I don't know what brand, it's some old electric piano my dad had as a kid, it's huge, x D.)

Just buy and System 8 and forget about maintenance and breakdowns.

Get a solid sampler / rompler workstation.
Me.... I like Krome.

You don't have to spot for the EX version. There is even a guy who has software that will make EX soundpacks work in regular Krome. He also had a repository of free soundpacks. Which I've been enjoying ....
https://www.kromeheaven.com/index.php

If you want to pay for some really great krome soundpacks check out this guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOWRtNoUTOw
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

If you want to do it on stage, do not get old (anytime breaking) synths! If you want to use it in the studio, learn how to solder...
Those workstations like Krome are the one trick pony to play old songs on weddings and such...

I'm looking for a good, professional programmable synthesizer from the 1980s. Budget probably up to $300-$350, maybe $400. Looking for 80s leads, pads, synthpop, Juno/Roland-y style sounds, jx-3p style sounds, brass, those kinds of sounds. Polyphonic, with aftertouch if possible.
Last edited by Fox_GAMING_NTF on Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”