Waldorf Kyra UK release

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't know the technicalities, but Access managed to do the audio over USB thing alongside your standard ASIO interface years ago. Not sure why other manufacturers haven't been able to improve on the technology :?

chk071 wrote: ↑Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:00 am Just realized that Waldorf uploaded a new Kyra video (with final sound):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HafV6CGS43Y
The sound seems to be somewhere between Spire and Dune3.
Sounds cool but not 2k cool :? . A bit on the thin side. Virus sounds fatter.

I'd love to hear more abstract/sci-fi/psychedelic sounds, like those formant/grain oscs in Virus can do.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

tehlord wrote: ↑Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:57 am Not sure why other manufacturers haven't been able to improve on the technology :?
Lazy arsed Tools Geoff that's why πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

recursive one wrote: ↑Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:23 am
chk071 wrote: ↑Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:00 am Just realized that Waldorf uploaded a new Kyra video (with final sound):

Sounds cool but not 2k cool
You need to pay 1k for the wooden sides πŸ‘
PS

Sounds pretty big on my system, go try one out in store

rob_lee wrote: ↑Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:10 am

PS

I think Recursive ment its not 2k worth because nowdays vsts for 100-200 eu sound as big as Kyra.

From youtube sounds the character at least for me reminds me Dune 2/3 alot. Which is good :-)

But yeah VSTs ftw thesw days for productivity

TBH, still not convinced with the sound. Waldorf should go back to their roots, their synths sounded better back in the days. Just my opinion.

And, yes, i know this is a synth they "bought in", so, it's clear that i doesn't sound too Waldorf-ish.

Elektronisch wrote: ↑Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:23 am
rob_lee wrote: ↑Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:10 am

PS

I think Recursive ment its not 2k worth because nowdays vsts for 100-200 eu sound as big as Kyra.

From youtube sounds the character at least for me reminds me Dune 2/3 alot. Which is good :-)

But yeah VSTs ftw thesw days for productivity
Yes, that's what I meant. Must be a killer synth for a 100% hardware setup, but i'm mostly ITB so for me 10x price compared to top VSTis and the troubles of integrating a hardware synth into my worklow must be justified by the sound which I can't get from a VSTi. Which I haven't exactly heard from Kyra yet.

chk071 wrote: ↑Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:27 am TBH, still not convinced with the sound. Waldorf should go back to their roots, their synths sounded better back in the days. Just my opinion.

And, yes, i know this is a synth they "bought in", so, it's clear that i doesn't sound too Waldorf-ish.
I wa bored to death by Waldorf own demo you posted link to.

I assume you watched this too, or?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5u1KmVvbxI

It makes all the difference that demo/instructor is a musician and can play something that is musical in the context each patch he is demoing.

Something about the sound too, that PluginGury knows what to use to upload to YT to not have it degraded too much.

Problem for me right now with Kyra is there is no auduble preview of memory slots you are about to overwrite, only preview of name in that slot.

I asked Waldorf support if that might come in a firmware update, so will come back and tell what they say. To spend this money I want something that really feeds my creativity and not needing a separate papper or spreadsheet listening through everything first, and see which slots I can overwrite.

I go in all directions of a synth to explore every territory, that is the fun part.

Elektronisch wrote: ↑Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:23 am I think Recursive ment its not 2k worth because nowdays vsts for 100-200 eu sound as big as Kyra.
I can't say I get that reasoning - sounding big?
If you already working in a daw, you can make anything sound big - even a blip.
Probably with stock plugins in daw.

The interesting part would be what you can create with all the effects gone - the core timbre, sort of. And if it's fun to explore those territories.

Anything sounds big and even good flooded with reverbs and delays.

@lfm: I hear the same sound in any video i'm watching, TBH. It's not sounding bad, it's just that i can't see how it sounds better than some of the better plugins i use.

Just my opinion. Repeat disclaimer infinitely. ;)

Listen to the Blofeld in comparison. Different league IMO. Of course, it can't play 128 voices, or do big unison.

IMO, Waldorf isn't the same since Wolfram Franke and Stefan Stenzel left. AFAIK, those were the 2 key figures in Waldorf's development. Anyway, i really sound more negative than i actually want to be. All the best to them and this synth. It's just that it doesn't "blow me out of the water", as they say.

chk071 wrote: ↑Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:58 am Listen to the Blofeld in comparison. Different league IMO. Of course, it can't play 128 voices, or do big unison.
After extensive research I bought Blofelt a couple of years ago. Sounds excellent. Whole lotta YT vids consumed investigating that.

But I found it hell to work with, much, much too heavy main switch at display which govern every parameter you want to change to. Thought a little bit to extend with maybe 1"-2" knob or something to get momentum, but scrapped that idea. So sent it back - only synth I did not keep that I bought.

And buying the black panel one, was yet another mistake. Much too small and thin fonts on such a dark background. Really weird that comes out of production at all.

lfm wrote: ↑Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:33 pm After extensive research I bought Blofelt a couple of years ago. Sounds excellent. Whole lotta YT vids consumed investigating that.

But I found it hell to work with, much, much too heavy main switch at display which govern every parameter you want to change to. Thought a little bit to extend with maybe 1"-2" knob or something to get momentum, but scrapped that idea. So sent it back - only synth I did not keep that I bought.
Welcome to the club... kind of the same story here. :D I already have Largo, and found Blofeld a pain to operate in comparison, so i stuck with Largo, and sent Blofeld back. :) Still sounded awesome though, like Largo. Lots of overlap there though, so, no regrets (except sometimes, when i feel like i need something i don't really need...).

chk071 wrote: ↑Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:55 pm no regrets (except sometimes, when i feel like i need something i don't really need...).
Buy a Virus :party:

Damn you. :cry:

:)

Tis doubtful I will buy any synth in forseeable future, already got more old ones than I use. But it is fun window shopping
Personally totally uninterested in softsynths but I like soft FX and daws.

Different ears. The Kyra sounds sweet to me. Even the early rough alpha demos and especially that last one posted. Kyra just sounds sweet and musical to me. Lots better than typical "hard edged" quantum vids, and the Blofeld vids don:t sound good to me. Kinda cheep and cheesy sounding. Different ears, no big deal.

I like what have heard from ASM Hydra as well.

Really, more interesting looking hardware synths now than ever. So many, wonder how the market is big enough, where the hell are enough people in the world to buy all these great synths?

When I buy a synth it is such a big time sink plumbing it's depths. Even full time money no object I couldn't buy many synths and fully learn/use each one. Some would have to sit indefinitely in the box on a shelf waiting for enough time to play with them.

Are there numerous well heeled synth collectors like the well heeled guitar collectors who own tens or hundreds of guitars but didn't yet quite master the stairway to heaven intro riff?

If so then God Bless Em because their compulsive buying might keep all these great new synths from going broke from slack sales.

Return to β€œHardware (Instruments and Effects)”