Best studio headphones?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fedexnman wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:23 pm Man , I'm just get me some more Sennheiser 280pros . Lolz ... Mine are falling apart but still sound great . So , it's not like I don't have any headphones. A headphone amp and 250 ohms ones would've been better most likely. They were boomy in the bass department and boomy sounding on Ezdrummer2 ...
One can replace various parts. I bought myself a new set of ear cushions, but I keep postponing replacing them because I am afraid I might not get the new ones on once the old, worn out ones are off. I already struggled with the new headband.

My Sennheiser 280 pros still work , but they are a mess they are practically falling apart . Still sound spectacular . The Beyerdynamic 770 80ohmz just are not my thing , the bass and kick is just too boomy or woofy sounding . I'm sure they are great but they are not for me and I don't think I could get used of them or try and make them work .

I like my 770 pro 250 ohm, but only after using "Reference 4". Whatever headphones you use, I would never do without equalizing the frequency response again. Without, the highs are overbrilliant, the upper bass is weakened. Some seem to like exactly that, but I prefer it to be absolutely balanced, without it becoming unpleasant after a long time of listening.
It feels like Reference 4 is turning your 100€ headphones into 1000€ headphones. That's subjective.

I don't have Reference 4, but I made a flattening EQ preset based on the frequency response I found in the demo version of Toneboosters' Morphit (sorry Toneboosters, but I did buy your older bundles). My EQ preset may not be perfect, but it is close enough. It is on the master track of my new project template.

SparkySpark wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:55 pm It would sell like butter (is that how the saying goes - it doesn't make sense at all... :hihi:).
"sell like HOTCAKES" = pancakes depending on where you are at.

If you are using an eq on your reference phones you are getting eq'ed sound, but what ever works for you.

Dasheesh wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:59 pm If you are using an eq on your reference phones you are getting eq'ed sound, but what ever works for you.
Yes, I have to use an equalizer in order to achieve a flat sound on my headphones. Without the EQ they sound colored, there is a huge bump somewhere in the middle.
That's also how Morphit etc. work inside, I suppose.

just one more difference between the physical and virtual world. chalk it up to another change i have to get used to.

Dasheesh wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:58 pm
SparkySpark wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:55 pm It would sell like butter (is that how the saying goes - it doesn't make sense at all... :hihi:).
"sell like HOTCAKES" = pancakes depending on where you are at.
Thanks, I'll try that in the office tomorrow and see what reaction I get :D (I just moved to the UK).
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

e-crooner wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:42 am I don't have Reference 4, but I made a flattening EQ preset based on the frequency response I found in the demo version of Toneboosters' Morphit (sorry Toneboosters, but I did buy your older bundles). My EQ preset may not be perfect, but it is close enough. It is on the master track of my new project template.
I do the same thing. I have no issue with buying software (I used to be in marketing in the music software industry so it would be kind of hypocrisy anyway) but I just can't decide whether to buy MorphIt or not. I'm just not convinced by the result, but I really, really want it to work.

Logically, it should be possible to measure the success of this kind of software: record the output from the headphones (which I think might be a bit tricky) using MorphIt or Reference and go through the same process then with another brand, and see if the output is equal. If not, it's a sign the software doesn't work. It would also be a way to measure which of the two competitors is the best one. (Of course, it the settings of the software are tweaked incorrectly, two headphones could sound the same but still be off.) Nonetheless, this would be an interesting - and helpful! - experiment.
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

I like the 280 but they are not that durable or comfortable but they don't bother me , don't know if they've changed the plastic or anything on the newer ones , mine are 13 or 14 years old now . Broke to crap but still work great , they sound natural and pleasant for all music ., Will be buying them again . Now I've been told I haven't BURNED in the 770 80ohms in . They are more durable and more comfortable I feel like they could use a headphone amp , my audio interface headphone jack just doesn't get it there like I want . The lower the ohms the louder and less juice you need . I feel the bass is boomy on the 770 but like I said they are NOT burned in . The 770 are also $149- $179 and the 280 are $99 . Winner for me is 280 for tracking everything and anything . For mixing the 770 might help folks tighten the bass in the mix , maybe after being burned in and having a headphone amp they might do the job ? I have not bought a headphone amp yet . If you are in the USA and want the 770 80 ohms headphone I can sell you mine for $110 I'd eat shipping . So I'm obviously sold on the 280 .

So, has anyone tried the successor to the 280 by now?
https://www.thomann.de/gb/sennheiser_hd_300_pro.htm

e-crooner wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:56 pm So, has anyone tried the successor to the 280 by now?
https://www.thomann.de/gb/sennheiser_hd_300_pro.htm
Wow the #1 seller BT 770 250ohm and #2 seller BT 770 80ohm .... Might have to just get me a headphone amp if I can't sell em .

blue lola and use soundworks to flatten them for mixing imo
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Avantone mp1 for the price nothing come close the mix cube mode work like the real one almost.I have almost similar sound to my avantone abbey 3 way speakers

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”