DBX 386 DRIVE KNOWB

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

I have a question about DBX 386.
The drive knob on the 1st channel doesn't react. I just connect my mic or guitar and the knob doesn't add any gain. Is there a solution?

Thanks in advance!

Is the knob firmly secured or gone a bit wobbly?
Still got warranty maybe?

For the record, you get more replies here than on GearSlutz ;-)
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

The knowb is like the the others. Really no difference when tweaking. I have no warranty — it's used (
Btw, to specify, I've tried both inputs (on the rear and front side) and have no effect.

Haha thanks! Good to know about GearSlutz

Have the tubes failed perhaps?
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:05 pm Have the tubes failed perhaps?
I sent a message to DBX support. They said that the preamp tubes are almost unkillable)

Hmm.. but tubes do wear out after long periods of use. It's not like that device is new. I've got the 376 still in the rack and I've already changed the tubes once (to be fair, I got it when it was released so that's way more than 10 years ago).

bmanic wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:44 am Hmm.. but tubes do wear out after long periods of use. It's not like that device is new. I've got the 376 still in the rack and I've already changed the tubes once (to be fair, I got it when it was released so that's way more than 10 years ago).
May be you're right. I'll try to buy new. Actually I have no choice) Could you tell me where I can order new tubes?

Is the volume exceptionally soft or loud?
Thinking it could be a loose connection from the pcb to the pot...

Indeed that could be a problem too.. wiggling the pots could also make some scratchy noises, clicks and pops if that's the case.

@nofolobricity: I highly suggest going to a local radio/electronics shop with the old tubes and make sure you get exactly correct replacements. I've never ordered tubes online as they are delicate things and when going to a local store they can measure the tolerances and make sure the pairing is good (apparently it makes a difference.. though I'm no expert in this field at all. On the contrary, I don't know shit! :) ).

BertKoor wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:27 pm Is the volume exceptionally soft or loud?
Volume is too soft. How can I repair it?

bmanic wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:49 pm Indeed that could be a problem too.. wiggling the pots could also make some scratchy noises, clicks and pops if that's the case.

@nofolobricity: I highly suggest going to a local radio/electronics shop with the old tubes and make sure you get exactly correct replacements. I've never ordered tubes online as they are delicate things and when going to a local store they can measure the tolerances and make sure the pairing is good (apparently it makes a difference.. though I'm no expert in this field at all. On the contrary, I don't know shit! :) ).
There are no any scratchy noises, clicks and pops when wiggling pots.

Thank you, there's no services in my city that would repair it
Last edited by Nofolobricity on Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nofolobricity wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:25 pm
BertKoor wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:27 pm Is the volume exceptionally soft or loud?
Take it to someone that really understands electronics. You can recognise him by the soldering iron and oscilloscope on his workbench.

Expect to pay twice for the repair as what you paid for it second-hand. The parts are cheap (it's probably not a failed tube, but you never know sure) but finding what's exactly wrong is time consuming and rather hard.

Or sell it off to the next sodd on eBay.
Or keep it as an expensive door stop.

BertKoor wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:27 am
Nofolobricity wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:25 pm
Take it to someone that really understands electronics. You can recognise him by the soldering iron and oscilloscope on his workbench.

Expect to pay twice for the repair as what you paid for it second-hand. The parts are cheap (it's probably not a failed tube, but you never know sure) but finding what's exactly wrong is time consuming and rather hard.

Or sell it off to the next sodd on eBay.
Or keep it as an expensive door stop.
Thank you very much for your advices! I hope I'll find out how to deal with this thingy

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”