KRK Rokit 8" G4 VS Yamaha HS8

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What do you think?

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end ... ews-2.html

blackbape3110 :i read on gearslutz problem with the 7" G4 : "produce white noise continuously, even i didn't play any music"

earl088: " am a bit worried about the audible hiss that Ive read about the G4 and digitalsterophony has also metioned that they are "intrusive" aside from getting a ground loop is there a way to reduce this hiss?"

FoundationsAudio : "Originally Posted by richrenken View Post
Hi, Rich from KRK here. All powered monitors have "hiss" if you put your head near the tweeter. This is because all brands run the amp "wide open". You adjust how loud they are by the input. This give you maximum headroom so you never feel the "end" of the monitor. In mix position with the G4 you will not "hear" the slight hiss."
They have hiss because the amps are cheap, plain and simple. There are plenty of monitors with absolutely zero hiss and many hifi powered speakers like the Elac Navis that have no noise. I can run my pa amplifier into my pa tops that are very sensitive and even with the gain knob maxed I get effectively no audible noise.

Disappointed in your reply but hey it's not like you're going to admit to using poor filtering somewhere along the chain because that's what it really is."

Noctambulant : "They all have hiss with your ear at the tweeter. Rokit 5 G4 has no hiss set up correctly in the sweet spot and Rokit 8 has a tiny bit but it is inaudible when in use. The amps in these are fine and do their job. Those PAs have passive crossovers to soak up the noise and dull the transients but they're PAs so it does not matter. Who cares what ELAC does in some ridiculously overpriced, coaxial 5" metal woofer monstrosities?"

So
What to buy?
The KRK Rokit 8" G4 or the Yamaha HS 8?

I get no such hiss from my HS-80 pair.
I also get no such hiss from my JBL-LSR pair.

My subjective opinion is that the KRK are close to the Cerwin Vega live speakers sound. Maybe good for getting a similar live reference. However, I personally feel both are a bit muddy in the lower mid-range. Knowing there is such a hiss that their owners believe that is inherent to all monitors will probably keep me from getting them in the near future.

MMV, but IMO and between the two, Yamaha.

Amram wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:25 pm So
What to buy?
The KRK Rokit 8" G4 or the Yamaha HS 8?
Don't know about the powered amp hiss - don't run mine that loud.

I used the HS-8's quite a bit and found them very toppy and fatiguing at high volume for any length of time. Very nice and clear at low volumes though and very very loud if you need it.

The KRK Rokit 8" were a bit more heavy in the lower mid range. Can run them for longer at higher volumes but probably not an 'accurate' monitor - but what is at this point - they are ok if you learn them.

I heard the new G4 have solved this frequency 'problem' and are a bit flatter across the range. Might be wrong about that.

Most people who have tried these monitors have come to the same conclusion - you'd need to be deaf not to.

So do you like crystal clear but harsh?
Or full bodied but boomy?

Decisions, decisions...

Just a thought, but if you monitor at really low levels, these problems aren't as pronounced. The KRK 8" G2 gives me the sub-bass almost at low volume. I have a pair of Tannoy Reveal 6.5" to compare to as well. At times I regretted not getting the HS-8's. Swings and roundabouts.

No matter what speakers you go for, you'd want another pair of speakers a couple of inches smaller to compliment them and for A/B'ing. Ideally.

I don't know, but I'd say for the money there would probably be someone else making something better and more accurate than those 2 options by now. Maybe the KRKs are a bit flatter with the new G4 range, in which case I'd say go for them. You can work with either, just keep your volume down to mitigate their shortcomings (and protect your hearing, and mixes, and relationship with neighbours - they are damn loud!).

I have krk rockit 8.
No hiss at all.
I had Genelec 8020 before but I switched to KRK after listening to them at friend house.
They sound very good, good separation and the bass frquency is really clear and detailed, giving you a great control on basses (it reaches 35hz).

Amram wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:43 am All powered monitors have "hiss" if you put your head near the tweeter.

Forgotten wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:38 pm
Amram wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:43 am All powered monitors have "hiss" if you put your head near the tweeter.
lol
I eventually bought the yamaha hs8

I have a pair of them too - they're really good speakers

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”