Krome or M3

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm thinking about a workstation. I can't decide between a Korg M3 and the Korg Krome. I have looked at my finances and other options and I think either or would be good choice help me decide.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Krome of course, just because Krome have a same that M3 engine, plus it's boosted, plust it's cheaper plus it's newer :)
VST & Hardware presets, FL Studio templates, samples and MIDI from NatLife & friends -www.natlifesounds.com

NatLife wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:59 pm Krome of course, just because Krome have a same that M3 engine, plus it's boosted, plust it's cheaper plus it's newer :)
Not exactly. The code is
different between the two and on some sounds it really shows. Plus, the keys feel cheaper on the Krome.
(I own Kronos and M3exp.)

BBFG# wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:00 am
NatLife wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:59 pm Krome of course, just because Krome have a same that M3 engine, plus it's boosted, plust it's cheaper plus it's newer :)
Not exactly. The code is
different between the two and on some sounds it really shows. Plus, the keys feel cheaper on the Krome.
maybe, but I prefer a sound engine, for the keys i have a MIDI keyboard. So if choose the sound - of course Krome, plus it's newer and it's pretty important about screen speed, seems like on M3 it's slower.
VST & Hardware presets, FL Studio templates, samples and MIDI from NatLife & friends -www.natlifesounds.com

NatLife wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:06 pm
Not exactly. The code is
maybe, but I prefer a sound engine, for the keys i have a MIDI keyboard. So if choose the sound - of course Krome, plus it's newer and it's pretty important about screen speed, seems like on M3 it's slower.
I see no perceivable difference in screen speed between the two. And sound will always be subjective to the user. Each has their strengths and weaknesses. And although I don't use the sequencer in them, I hear regularly that Korg removed the step sequencer that's in the M3 from the Kronos/Krome. However, the M3 is built like a tank and the Krome feels like a cheep toy.

If the newer sounds are what Is sought, I suggest looking for a used Kronos generation 1 or X that's been fully updated. It does give you more engines after all.

BBFG# wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:22 pm
Not exactly. The code is
I see no perceivable difference in screen speed between the two. And sound will always be subjective to the user. Each has their strengths and weaknesses. And although I don't use the sequencer in them, I hear regularly that Korg removed the step sequencer that's in the M3 from the Kronos/Krome. However, the M3 is built like a tank and the Krome feels like a cheep toy.

If the newer sounds are what Is sought, I suggest looking for a used Kronos generation 1 or X that's been fully updated. It does give you more engines after all.
Dune 3 soft synth built like a tank? don't think so, but it's sounds as best synthesizer at the moment for me, nothing from hardware can be it. I have a Krome, it's built enough good and sounds same good, i was own of some hardwares that was built like a tank, and i sold it in fact - because of sound, and no possibility to connect for DAW, it's worst and past. So future - for the smallest synth's, if no - synths like a tank will be in the past anyway. Just look on Korg Volca Drum and what this toy can do.

NatLife wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:41 pm
Not exactly. The code is

Dune 3 soft synth built like a tank? don't think so, but it's sounds as best synthesizer at the moment for me, nothing from hardware can be it. I have a Krome, it's built enough good and sounds same good, i was own of some hardwares that was built like a tank, and i sold it in fact - because of sound, and no possibility to connect for DAW, it's worst and past. So future - for the smallest synth's, if no - synths like a tank will be in the past anyway. Just look on Korg Volca Drum and what this toy can do.
What does Dune 3 soft synth have to do with it? :lol:
OP wants a workstation, not just a sound module.
Better to step up to the Kronos. An earlier version is not much more than a M3.
But a M3exp (especially if it has the Radias card) is also a great choice.
And yeah, Volcas are toys to me also.

:D
Last edited by NatLife on Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BBFG# wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:48 pm
NatLife wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:41 pm
Not exactly. The code is

What does Dune 3 soft synth have to do with it? :lol:
OP wants a workstation, not just a sound module.
Better to step up to the Kronos. An earlier version is not much more than a M3.
But a M3exp (especially if it has the Radias card) is also a great choice.
And yeah, Volcas are toys to me also.
But yeah, Topicstarter said about workstation, so i just can advice him FL Studio+good hardware synth, i can't advice Krome like a workstation :)

Okay so...

I'm still beside myself.

Keybed is irrelevant. I've been looking at Krome EX now and M3XP. Krome EX has a few more whistles and bells
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

So just an update.... I bought a used Krome. It should arrive next week.

Even used Kronos was way out of my price range.

Krome is not without it's faults. I've read all about them here and elsewhere. Apparently the line outs don't go up very far and I'll need to either run via headphone or into a pre to get proper levels into my computer... No problem my external sound card can handle that. I don't need the keys as all my playing (even non-mpe) comes from my linnstrument these days. So I'm not concerned with semi-weight. As for durability. It's staying in my studio. I don't have cats or kids and I don't abuse my gear. I'm one of those guys who uses an apron to prevent buckle wash on my guitars and they go back into the case or on a secure stand.

The M3 was still pricey compared to the Krome and it's understandable why. If I were a gigging musician I would have held out. Durable reliable. Up until five years ago I used to spend my summer evenings watching cover bands at various parks&rec outdoor concerts. Two Keyboards reigned supreme. Korg M3, Kurzweil PC3. It was all AA cover bands from the 60's through 90's. Durable, reliable and easily accessible bread and butter "Famous Sounds" itb.

One interesting thing to note that I've found along the way. As is the case with most upgrade or enhancements. Krome is not compatible with Krome EX soundpacks.... However there is a tool which can be used to make soundpacks that are EX only compatible with earlier krome os.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”