Microfreak : no mention about Mutable Instruments in Arturia's boss interview

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I guess it's intentional...
let me then here copy, for those who missed it, Emilie Gillet's statement following Arturia's strange way of using other people's work.
below is the quote :

Hello peeps!

There is a lot of noise on the internet regarding the Arturia Microfreak.

Let me clarify a couple of things.

First of all, Plaits’ code is open-source, which means that anybody is free to use it, as long as they credit me somewhere (it can be in a product description page, or a footnote in a downloadable manual, or an “about” dialog). This is why you can find Mutable Instruments’ DSP code in the Korg Prologue, the Axoloti, the Organelle, VCV Rack, and plenty of other bits of software or hardware. This is not stealing. Plaits’ code is a summary of everything I’ve learnt about making rich and balanced sound sources controlled by a few parameters, it’s for everyone to enjoy.

Now, regarding the Microfreak.

Arturia had been in the process of developing a hybrid synth for a while, and contacted me about using some of Plaits’ code inside. I had no objection to that.

In May, they invited me to their headquarters for a product development meeting where they showed me mockups of the Microfreak. It was fairly clear at this point that it was their product. The feature set, UX, sound engine were all already set in stone. The product obviously followed Arturia’s design language and branding. My expected contribution to the project was none: Arturia’s engineers would do their own thing with my code, the tone character and sound design was their responsibility. It was pointless for me to suggest features and ideas (*), or spill the beans about ideas I wanted to keep for upcoming Mutable Instruments products, and this awkward event felt more like a focus group.

Arturia offered to mention something like “Oscillator code from Mutable Instruments” in the product description, which is my preferred form of citation. No monetary compensation has ever been discussed – which is fair, because I provided exactly 0 hour of work and 0 original line of code. No contract has been drafted or signed.

Arturia contacted me back last week with a photo of the finished product. I never had the opportunity to playtest it. I have not been asked to approve or veto any promotional material.

As you can see, my involvement was fairly limited.

I don’t feel wronged. It’s their product.

However, I feel uneasy when people got excited, seeing it described as a collaboration between Mutable Instruments and Arturia, because none of the technical and design choices involved in this product originate from me. I have been quite disconcerted by the private messages congratulating me for this release and achievement. I know some people have been waiting for a Mutable Instruments keyboard synth, or at least non-modular product, for a while. Well, this is not it. That’s what I wanted to say to the world. I don’t want people to associate any negative experience they could have with this product with Mutable Instruments. I don’t want people to think that I endorsed or at least authorized some aesthetic decisions regarding this product or the communication surrounding it.

With its focus on local production, open-source, deliberate lack of marketing and advertising, Mutable Instruments is an unusual company. It’s stimulating and fun, but somewhat dangerous too. Turning Arturia into an enemy – those talks of boycotts and those tweets demanding justice – is only adding fuel to the fire and increasing the risks of getting me attacked in ways I don’t expect and I am not protected against.

If you care about me, move on! I need a lot of strength and energy at the moment, and it should all be focused on finishing new products.

So please let Arturia enjoy their release party, it’s hard work to ship a product. Buy their product if you think you’ll have fun and make good music with it, don’t buy otherwise. Buy Mutable Instruments products (or the Softube clones) if you want to fund me, or build your own and give the money to charities.

Love,
Émilie

(*) To people thinking that this is all my fault because I was too passive at this point, I’ll take a little musical comparison: Someone has made a track using a stem you have publicly shared. They want to market their track as a “collaboration” with you, but they only give you the opportunity to provide feedback during the mastering session. Would that be a fair collaboration?

this was released when the synth was announced

old news

yes it's old news man. still, given the interview, the exposure, and the absence of mention, I thought it was a sweet reminder.

I think it was posted here somewhere previously, but I don't remember where the thread is.

hangars liquides wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:22 pm let me then here copy, for those who missed it
but we didnt miss it, we did this to death months ago, as did everywhere else. arturia did what MI requested, months ago. it doesnt need revived.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

yes, I know it's nothing new ! still it's worth refreshing some ppl's minds and I thought those interested in the Microfreak following the sweet exposure given by the interview should know. Cheers !

Forgotten wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:10 pm I think it was posted here somewhere previously, but I don't remember where the thread is.
viewtopic.php?p=7293916

hangars liquides wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:20 pm still it's worth refreshing some ppl's minds
why? it was completely sorted between MI and arturia six months ago.
and I thought those interested in the Microfreak following the sweet exposure given by the interview should know. Cheers !
why? what difference does a resolved issue about attribution versus collaboration make to an end-user, 6 months after the fact?

Am I reading this wrong, or was there a recent interview where the boss of arturia didn't mention mutable instruments?

If that's the case then that would warrant an eyebrow raise at least imo. Not mentioning mutable instruments at all in connection with the microfreak would be the other side of the "inflated collaboration" coin.

nothing recent

Old news... done and dusted...
OP .. let me then here copy, for those who missed it, Emilie Gillet's statement following Arturia's strange way of using other people's work.

Émilie
First of all, Plaits’ code is open-source, which means that anybody is free to use it, as long as they credit me somewhere (it can be in a product description page, or a footnote in a downloadable manual, or an “about” dialog). This is why you can find Mutable Instruments’ DSP code in the Korg Prologue, the Axoloti, the Organelle, VCV Rack, and plenty of other bits of software or hardware. This is not stealing. Plaits’ code is a summary of everything I’ve learnt about making rich and balanced sound sources controlled by a few parameters, it’s for everyone to enjoy.
Arturia's web page
Main Features
Synthesizer with 256 preset slots and 160 factory presets
12 Digital oscillators with variable modes, with integrated open source Plaits engine created by Mutable Instruments
Analog State Variable Filter, 12dB/octave, resonant, Low Pass, Band Pass, High Pass
ADSR envelope
Cycling Envelope offering two modes
Envelope
LFO
:roll:

the original fuss was because Arturia said it was a collaboration. MI asked them to change that, as it wasnt. Arturia did.

Nobody who matters got upset

AnX wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:12 pm the original fuss was because Arturia said it was a collaboration. MI asked them to change that, as it wasnt. Arturia did.

Nobody who matters got upset
:tu:
yeah, I remember... the outrage was from all but Emile, who handled the situation "professionally"

No DiscySillyPantomine type Karnage.. :hihi:
;)

did they mention me?
i collaborated with arturia.
i say "collaberated" i mean i used one of their synths.
i say "used" i demoed it.
i say "demoed" i watched a vid on the youtubes.
for a minute.

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:24 pm
hangars liquides wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:20 pm still it's worth refreshing some ppl's minds
why? it was completely sorted between MI and arturia six months ago.
and I thought those interested in the Microfreak following the sweet exposure given by the interview should know. Cheers !
why? what difference does a resolved issue about attribution versus collaboration make to an end-user, 6 months after the fact?
Oh please... don't ruin the scandal...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”