Any cheap but decent (analog) effect pedal suggestions?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When I was still hording guitar fx pedals, I bought them all second-hand for $10 to $25.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

You can also always trawl e-bay and just pick up something that takes your fancy costing 5-10 smackeroos and sold locally (no P&P) if you live in a bigger city. Worst thing that happens is you don't like the pedal and are a few bucks worse off, or resell it for something similar (whether it's worth the hassle is up to you). While you won't pick up the boutique pedals for 10 smackeroos, you can easily find bargains if you ain't too picky.

IMO, most fun would be any time-based effects (delay and flanger for example) where you can tweak the knobs in real time to get spacey crazy sounds with minimal effort.

Be aware that some guitar pedals can be quite noisy.

I have had a lot of success buying second hand pedals on Craigslist, too.

If you can stretch, or find a used version, I highly recommend the Zoom MS-50G. Not analog, but a ton of functionality for $100 new.

Those are some really good suggestions. Thanks again for the advice, guys. I will definitely check e-bay and some other local shops for getting pedals second hand.

True, time-based are indeed great fun.

Zoom MS-50G seems to have great reviews. But yes, a bit expensive for me for my first pedal. The intention is find a decent cheap one so that I can learn how to use them, the do's and don'ts, etc. Once I get familiar and if time permits, I can explore other better options. Also, I am not a guitar player, so I would just be running soft synths or drums, anything for that matter, from my DAW to pedal and then back in - via audio interface.

I have a Korg Monotron Delay, but it is hell noisy with low sound output, and recently the feedback circuit seems to have got damaged. Need to open it some day, as I have a fair idea what could be wrong, but it does not really inspire me. Perhaps an effects pedal will be less noisy and more fun. I wish I knew about effects pedals before I got Monotron Delay.

You might get a digitech istomp Second Hand If you are on iOS. You can load different FX into the pedal via your iPhone. It comes with a broad selection of FX so you can try a lot of stuff.
my music:
soundcloud.com/septimon-band
blend.io/septimon

Septimon wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:46 pm You might get a digitech istomp Second Hand If you are on iOS. You can load different FX into the pedal via your iPhone. It comes with a broad selection of FX so you can try a lot of stuff.
I don't think that's analog though...

Pick up some Behringer analog pedals used. Pretty amazing value. Their digital stuff ain’t so great, but that’s not the thing here anyway.

Plastic and therefore more fragile, but otherwise, they tend to sound just fine.

Thanks again guys.
kvotchin wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:05 am Pick up some Behringer analog pedals used. Pretty amazing value. Their digital stuff ain’t so great, but that’s not the thing here anyway.

Plastic and therefore more fragile, but otherwise, they tend to sound just fine.
Okay, but I hope I can just keep any pedals on desk and push the pedal with hand? Silly question I know, but I don't really plan to use them with any guitar.

Should be totally fine. Besides, replacement costs are low. ;)

No really, if that’s how you’re planning to use them, it shouldn’t matter what they’re made of.

kvotchin wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:17 am Should be totally fine. Besides, replacement costs are low. ;)

No really, if that’s how you’re planning to use them, it shouldn’t matter what they’re made of.
Okay, that's good to know. Now I just need to narrow down on something analogue and something that fits my budget. :) Definitely not going for anything expensive at this point, especially because I did not have a good experience with the $50 Korg Monotron Delay. Perhaps it was not for me.

Personally, I would first YouTube whatever you are thinking of buying. In fact, that is what I do. :)

Have tried a few of theirs, btw, and yeah, surprisingly decent sound. But again, a bit of research is worthwhile (IMO).

kvotchin wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:38 am Personally, I would first YouTube whatever you are thinking of buying. In fact, that is what I do. :)

Have tried a few of theirs, btw, and yeah, surprisingly decent sound. But again, a bit of research is worthwhile (IMO).
Yes, I agree. I am going to do that once I shortlist a few and then narrow down to one based on reviews and stuff. :)

The newer, low-cost TC Electronic pedals are mostly repackaged Behringer pedals and they seem to have a much tougher build.

If you’re just looking to thicken up the sound then try the Electro-Harmonix Analogizer. It’s $70 new but used should be OK.

The best dirt pedals for ~$50 I use are:
TC Electronic MojoMojo - Used to cost more and was value at the higher price.
Visual Sound GarageTone Chainsaw Distortion -Discontinued but awesome, check reverb.com for used.
Electro-Harmonix Double Muff - Stupidly simple yet flexible, great sound.

If you want a bit of tube (mild, plate starved but OK) then try the Vox Tone Garage series. They are usually available on clearance if you look around. I have the Flat 4 and it’s nice to add a bit of grit to ambient sounds.
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

resynthesis wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:02 am The newer, low-cost TC Electronic pedals are mostly repackaged Behringer pedals and they seem to have a much tougher build.
I think they have a line of pedals where they target a price under $50 too.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”