Analog synth to go with Hive 2

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dim Vision wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:28 am I've read a few posts on Gearslutz, people saying if you don't intend to make use of the sequencing capabilities, you are better off not getting the Analog Four. Since I am returning the Digitone for similar reasons, I'm disinclined from getting the Analog Four.
The Analog 4 is a good choice... I have the Analog Keys. but yeah, if you are not going to use the sequencing it is a little less interesting. Of course you might change your mind later about the sequencing, but I suggest you find a way to spend a couple hours with it first. Elektrons workflow is a bit of an acquired taste

How about the Moog Grandmother? Gorgeous sound, fantastic hands on interface with big knobs and sonically quite flexible because of the patch points. It would be a good compliment to Hive. The sync sounds are great, you can do some Osc and Filter FM all of which Hive doesn't have.

I disagree. I have never so much as looked at the sequencer in my AK and it still blows me away pretty much every time I trigger a note. There is something really special about the way it can sound. It has patches that I wouldn't have believed possible from anything with it's relatively straightforward architecture. I'd have happily paid what I did for the synth without the sequencer because I will never use it. Even if you just look at it as four brilliant monosynths in a single box, it's still good value.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

That's very encouraging to hear. I'll look into it more and try and get out to a store to test it.

pdxindy wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:10 am
Dim Vision wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:28 am I've read a few posts on Gearslutz, people saying if you don't intend to make use of the sequencing capabilities, you are better off not getting the Analog Four. Since I am returning the Digitone for similar reasons, I'm disinclined from getting the Analog Four.
The Analog 4 is a good choice... I have the Analog Keys. but yeah, if you are not going to use the sequencing it is a little less interesting. Of course you might change your mind later about the sequencing, but I suggest you find a way to spend a couple hours with it first. Elektrons workflow is a bit of an acquired taste

How about the Moog Grandmother? Gorgeous sound, fantastic hands on interface with big knobs and sonically quite flexible because of the patch points. It would be a good compliment to Hive. The sync sounds are great, you can do some Osc and Filter FM all of which Hive doesn't have.

The Grandmother does certainly look like fun. I'll look into it more. Thanks for the suggestion.

Edit: Seems to be 584mm. That's too big for the deskspace I intend to put it on.

And it's a Moog, which means it has that horrible ladder filter. You can do much better.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

What about the Vermona PERfourMER MkII

There´s one video I really, really like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aECHOW6xFB8

Cubehog wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:01 pm What about the Vermona PERfourMER MkII

There´s one video I really, really like.
Out of their price range...

Dim Vision wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:55 am
pdxindy wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:10 am

The Grandmother does certainly look like fun. I'll look into it more. Thanks for the suggestion.

Edit: Seems to be 584mm. That's too big for the deskspace I intend to put it on.
The Behringer Neutron is 425mm wide. It's a badass little synth. I'm very happy with it. I'll be getting their Pro-1 once shipping too. (same footprint)

If you are considering a Novation Bass Station, what about the Novation Circuit Mono Station? It is essentially a Bass Station (without keys, so smaller form factor), but with the great sequencing capabilities of the Novation Circuit. It also has an audio input, and can sequence external gear, as well. Many stores have these now for $329 :).

Dim Vision wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:33 pmThe Roland SE-02 has also crossed my mind, mainly due to the compact size.
Apart from size, I'd add the great filter.

As Hive is very good at poly stuff, I'd go for a mono analogue that does a lot of crazy modulations and audio rate tricks which Hive hasn't, but one which yet has a lush sound. That is, not a re-schedule of a limited ancient synth. You'll want at least Osc Sync, analogue FM and Filter FM, maybe Ringmodulation. The SE-02 can't do Ringmod, but it can do audio rate PWM, which is good as well - and IMHO it ticks all the other boxes.

The peak is a fantastic bit of kit - have a listen to the patches geosynths has made for it, that gives a good feel for the breadth of sounds you can get out of the thing. It's a real chameleon with bags of analog character despite its FPGA oscillators.

Pioneer Toraiz AS-1 is a sweet little desktop analog mono synth - effectively a single voice of the dave smith prophet 6 (minus analog filter drive, but it's onboard effects can go some way to making up the gap).

Also the above mentioned vermona perfourmer mkii is close in price to the peak and has a lot of flexibility - from running it as 4 separate monos, to elektron-analog-four-like different voice per chord note. Each of the 4 parts has an audio insert point for processing external audio via the filters and they have raw oscillator outs that let you cable it as a "standard" 3 vco>single vcf+vca monosynth. It sounds glorious. One downside is the steep bottom end dropoff with increased resonance.

If you can stretch to 50cm - the upcoming korg minilogue xd module might be worth a gander, 4 voices of 2xVCOs + digital "multi-engine" oscillator.

Something else that might be worth a quick glance is the synthstrom audible deluge. It's an all digital affair but it has a nice synth engine and the sampling/sequencing might give your entire setup a shot in the arm.
Last edited by OneOfManyPauls on Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Urs wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:36 pm
Dim Vision wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:33 pmThe Roland SE-02 has also crossed my mind, mainly due to the compact size.
Apart from size, I'd add the great filter.

As Hive is very good at poly stuff, I'd go for a mono analogue that does a lot of crazy modulations and audio rate tricks which Hive hasn't, but one which yet has a lush sound. That is, not a re-schedule of a limited ancient synth. You'll want at least Osc Sync, analogue FM and Filter FM, maybe Ringmodulation. The SE-02 can't do Ringmod, but it can do audio rate PWM, which is good as well - and IMHO it ticks all the other boxes.
while your here in the hardware forum...
any news on the modules? :hyper:

not impatient, just excited :)

pdxindy wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:48 pm The Behringer Neutron is 425mm wide. It's a badass little synth. I'm very happy with it. I'll be getting their Pro-1 once shipping too. (same footprint)
I neglected to mention, "must not be red". :)
bharris22 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:17 pm If you are considering a Novation Bass Station, what about the Novation Circuit Mono Station? It is essentially a Bass Station (without keys, so smaller form factor), but with the great sequencing capabilities of the Novation Circuit. It also has an audio input, and can sequence external gear, as well. Many stores have these now for $329 :).
Sequencing is not currently a drawcard for me, but a more compact BSII is appealing. I'd have to confirm what it sacrifices from the BSII and compare the workflow to gauge whether the smaller footprint and lower price make up for what doesn't appear from the BSII.
Urs wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:36 pm Apart from size, I'd add the great filter.

I am leaning heavily toward a mono synth, and the SE-02 certainly seems to tick many boxes. I'd have to test it in person of course to get a feel for what it's like to operate its tiny knobs. What it's like to operate is my only concern, really. All else is very appealing.
OneOfManyPauls wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:39 pm The peak is a fantastic bit of kit - have a listen to the patches geosynths has made for it, that gives a good feel for the breadth of sounds you can get out of the thing. It's a real chameleon with bags of analog character despite its FPGA oscillators.

Pioneer Toraiz AS-1 is a sweet little desktop analog mono synth - effectively a single voice of the dave smith prophet 6 (minus analog filter drive, but it's onboard effects can go some way to making up the gap).

Also the above mentioned vermona perfourmer mkii is close in price to the peak and has a lot of flexibility - from running it as 4 separate monos, to elektron-analog-four-like different voice per chord note. Each of the 4 parts has an audio insert point for processing external audio via the filters and they have raw oscillator outs that let you cable it as a "standard" 3 vco>single vcf+vca monosynth. It sounds glorious. One downside is the steep bottom end dropoff with increased resonance.

If you can stretch to 50cm - the upcoming korg minilogue xd module might be worth a gander, 4 voices of 2xVCOs + digital "multi-engine" oscillator.

Something else that might be worth a quick glance is the synthstrom audible deluge. It's an all digital affair but it has a nice synth engine and the sampling/sequencing might give your entire setup a shot in the arm.
Thanks. There's a lot to think about here. The Korg Minologue XD Module has drawn my interest, primarily because its looks really appeal to me. I might assess it again.

Also, Geosynths patches have me wanting all the synths he uses. :)
Last edited by Dim Vision on Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dim Vision wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:13 pm The Korg Minologue XD Module has drawn my interest, primarily because its looks really appeal to me. I might assess it again.
Yep I'm waiting for the desktop version to come out

Rob

you've got enough stuff :P

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”