So I bought Trueno synth.. And here's the review!

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Me: oh, great, fresh opinions on Trueno Synth.

Also me: oh, KVR, of course...
MAN FROM SPACE
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/135uz9UwHtdXZgiFyAc3oz
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/manfromspace

GumRoad (FREE Ableton racks and synth presets): https://gumroad.com/manfromspace

Well Distorted Horizon has made it very clear that this thread is not about different operating systems, I'm behind him 100% please stay on topic and please leave the OS debate for another place and time.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

That makes it a lot harder to keep the thread where people can see it, you know.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Distorted Horizon wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:46 am(a nice example is that list of why W7 sucks)
Actually, those things are all facts, unless you want to convince me that fat window borders are somehow better than thinner ones or that WMP not updating with new content makes it better than when it did update, both of which would be difficult because I've already given you obvious, compelling examples of why they are worse. And to be clear, we are now talking about how to present a convincing argument which is something that is as valid for this thread as for any other.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

It's a matter of taste, said the dog while licking his balls.

Have you had any time to put Trueno in a real test?

No, too busy having fun with it. I've saved out some presets and played around with it in a few arrangements. I am very happy with the results so far. One interesting thing that quite surprised me - the best use I ever found for my SH 101 was a high-resonance rhythm sound using only noise in the oscillator. It's a cool thing that I've never really been able to replicate in software but Trueno does it way better than the 101 ever did. It makes me think it's something you might need an analogue signal path for, or at least something that's much easier to do when you have one. I might see if Uno can do it, too.

There is other stuff I want to talk about but, as I indicated earlier, I am trying to keep the thread active and in people's faces, so expect a drip-feed.

BONES wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:48 am too busy having fun with it
That is always a good sign :tu:

Have to try that noise thing.. I've only made couple of snares with it but nothing else.

You know, in 30-odd years of using synths, I've never even been tempted to try make drums sounds with a synth. It seems like the most ridiculous thing to me.

It depends.. I sometimes make them just for fun/challenge, but some drum sounds just works sometimes better when played from a synth rather than sample/sampler.
For example closed hat. Wiggle cutoff and decay/release a little while recording and it brings a hat pattern that has some movement and happy accidents. Nothing that couldn't be achieved by playing a hat sample with a sampler and twisting decay and cutoff, but it sounds different.
Another point is freedom. Make a kick/perc/whatever and ruin it with your favorite effects to something that sounds you.

But I understand that it can take a lot of valuable production time, so that using a drum machine or samples is a better option.

BONES wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:51 am You know, in 30-odd years of using synths, I've never even been tempted to try make drums sounds with a synth. It seems like the most ridiculous thing to me.
Then you're missing out big time
My nord modular g1 is one big fat drummachine :tu:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Big, fat, expensive drum machine and a massive waste of resources.

BONES wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:27 am Big, fat, expensive drum machine and a massive waste of resources.
HOw's that ?
Do you have any insight in how I create my drumsounds in the nord modular ?
I can cramp 2 voices out per part , same architecture/structure as in microtonic (per voice ) , so eight drum voices in total ,aall modulations running at 96 Khz
Literally cramping all the juice out of the modular , that doesn't seem like a massive waste of resources to me .
And it's the only hardware full digital modular that let's you do that .
Hypothesizing and assuming without knowing anything about the actual process , as in any other thread , so please stfu or lay of the crack pipe
Because everybody is an idiot , right '? :lol:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Because it's capable of doing a lot more than just drums. Drums are easy, simple things much better handled by samples, instead of wasting a perfectly good synth trying to synthesise them. It's pure bloody-mindedness to waste a Nord Modular on something so inconsequential. If you absolutely have to have your own sounds, make them in a synth, then sample them and put them in a drum machine. That's how I built the drums we used on most of the stuff on our first four albums - made them in Fruityloops, sampled them and then loaded them into kits in Orion's DrumRack.

Lately my bandmate is fond of using one of the kick presets in DUNE as a backbeat when he's working on new material and the first thing I do when he gives it over to me is piss that off and put in a drum machine of one sort or another, usually Battery. Why use a synth that's churning up 5% of my CPU on something I can do better with a sample that uses less than 1% ?

BONES wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:13 am Why use a synth that's churning up 5% of my CPU on something I can do better with a sample that uses less than 1% ?
depends on what you're looking for. sometimes the constantly renewed, subtly random sound of a synthesized option makes it worth it. not to mention slowly automating changing parameters.

regardless, when you have the track how you like--you can freeze it

You'll get a lot more of that from a modern, multi-sampled, dedicated drum machine than from a synth. And track freezing is the end of creativity.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”