Novation Summit

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pdxindy wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:13 pm
The Super 6 on the other hand, every sound demo made my mouth water...

That had to be the star of Superbooth - fantastic sounding synth - and I am not into synths nowadays. It reminds me of my old Juno 106 - happy days.

Does it do DX style FM (phase modulation) or some other flavour of FM? This reminds me alot about the Prophet 12 in concept (digital oscillators into an analog path) but at a glance seems to be on paper more powerful in raw horsepower and number of features. Seems like it has way more waveforms (maybe even import?) Sadly the Prophet 12 does not do DX style FM (phase modulation), but linear FM which is supposedly very similar but I can tell by listening to it that it wont fully scratch that itch for an FM junkie like me. I'm kinda decided on getting a P12 atm despite that fact but this could possibly take that spot, it looks like it does very similar things.

Sonic State Video - Novation Summit

https://youtu.be/5YHZXq1c6tk

Jump to 3:46

Jump to 8:11

I think that this might fit the bill for me as both a great synth and a controller. What I'd like to know is: when using it as a controller, is it possible to use MIDI to split the key bed into zones to play other synths?

I just picked on of these up- what a beast!

One of the best sounding boards I have heard....solid build, great feel, having splits and layers makes it a real powerhouse...I was using a DM12 or Prophet 08 and a Hydrasynth before to get the sound I like to play live (a pad with one hand, lead with the other) and now I can do it on one board! Those Oxford oscillators are amazing...I am an utter convert!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:33 pm I just picked on of these up- what a beast!

One of the best sounding boards I have heard....solid build, great feel, having splits and layers makes it a real powerhouse...I was using a DM12 or Prophet 08 and a Hydrasynth before to get the sound I like to play live (a pad with one hand, lead with the other) and now I can do it on one board! Those Oxford oscillators are amazing...I am an utter convert!
Would be great to hear you describe the differences in sound between this and the Prophet 8. I think the Peak sounds quite classic/clean, but with a leaning towards glassy. How does this compare to the Prophet 08, which comes across as more chunky?

Novation announced recently in one of their livestream that they are working on a new firmware to fix some of the many bugs that the summit still has

_leras wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:19 pm
SLiC wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:33 pm I just picked on of these up- what a beast!

Would be great to hear you describe the differences in sound between this and the Prophet 8. I think the Peak sounds quite classic/clean, but with a leaning towards glassy. How does this compare to the Prophet 08, which comes across as more chunky?
Gosh, really different. I have the old P 08 in a rack, no fx etc but very 'analogue', my faveroute 'Tom Sawyer' patch of all time! So hard to describe a sound, but warm, fat and very analogue!

Summit is a different thing all together. It can sound very analogue (you can add all the drift to get the imperfections) and of course has a 2 superb multimode analogue filters where is where a 90% of the analogue sounds comers from IMO. It has really superb fx (and can be used as an FX processor with the audio ins) and it has 16 poly/2 layer multitimbral which adds so much with layers and splits. The wavetable ability takes it more towards a Prophet 12 than an 08 - it has hands on for just about everything (including FX and FM)

So I would say the Summit excels at clean, glassy big moving sounds, but is just as capable of the old classic analogue sounds, they are just so often 'less interesting' than the more hybrid approach allows.

The real question is Summit, P12 or the new 'Hydrasynth Deluxe' which despite being 'all digital' is a hell of a synth....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Robertovoid wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:11 am Novation announced recently in one of their livestream that they are working on a new firmware to fix some of the many bugs that the summit still has
I am not a power user and have only had my Summit for a month, but I haven't found any bugs personally. Is there a list somewhere?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”