Behringer RD808/909 When?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Langur wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:50 pm
Forgotten wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:43 pm
AnX wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:49 pm
Langur wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:45 pm What's wrong with Tr08 or Tr08s?
I would stay with the original creators.

digital shit that sounds nothing like the originals
It's a toy compared to the original 808.
Ok. i didn't have this feeling when I played it in a shop for half an hour. I actually thought it was good but then I bought an Mpc and I have 808 packs there which work great.
It's a small copy with very limited I/O. Had they made it full sized with enough I/O and 1/4" jacks then it would have been a much more appealing product.

rob_lee wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:55 pm
nevis wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:27 pm The Behringer link above points to a search at Thomann, but currently does not find the product.
Here is a direct link though: https://www.thomann.de/de/behringer_rd_8.htm

It currently says "4-5 weeks" at Thomann.
Tempted?

That's no good :o :lol: Yep can't find one anywhere yet, I'm more interested in the RD909 but I'll end up with both.. Trying to order a black MS101 too, like the look of that one and at £299 these things are no brainers.

The black MS-101 I ordered was in stock and available within 2-4 days, but funnily enough I had to wait 2-4 weeks for it. No biggie. No worries.

I got one in the post the other day. I'll be picking it up soon. I paid about 270 quid for mine. But I guess that's what they call 'pre-order' even if they don't tell you it is pre-order. Big bubbles, no troubles.

I'm looking forward to getting 909 and 808 as well - but truth be told, I got no where to put them, so I'm holding on. I might miss out on this batch and if I do, oh well.

I'll make some space and get the next batch if needs be. I don't need much more than a 909 and 808, that with a MS-101 and Odyssey and I'm good.

I really love the look of them Behringer drum machines. They look hefty and substantial and they sound great to my cloth ears. They got all the connections I need.

As for the MS-101 or wtf Behringer are calling it now, well, I liked the look of the Blue one.

I don't care if they are the same. I'll make some great music with them and enjoy f**king around.

:tu:

Thomann's preorder price seems high (€324), are their preorder offers discounted at all, usually?
Forgotten wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:45 am I think the biggest advantages of the RD-8 are that it is true analog, one output per channel, inputs/outputs are 1/4" rather than 1/8", and it's full size (Roland model is only 12" wide).

And as noted above, it's actually cheaper.
I don't have any spare i/o, I'm hoping the phones and/or mono out(?)put offers quality summed output.

Thomann's preorder price dropped to €299 recently. Weird that it was so high to begin with.

Maybe they didn't have a good idea for what they needed to sell it for to make a decent profit margin so pushed it high to be sure that if they adjusted it they would adjust downwards?

I was sort of interested in the 909 but I ended up buying a Roland TR 8S and no longer have GAS for any of these things (takes up top much desk space to have the 808 and 909 anyway)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Must admit I no longer hanker after a 909 - initially I was gagging for it come out and would have bought one sight unseen. I think most of my lusting was nostalgia. I used to have access regularly to a 909 way back when and it was truly a beautiful drum machine. BUT - that was when it was all h/w apart from the sequencer, and everything was through big desks. So - having 8 individual outs etc was no big thing - when I started into electronic stuff a 16 channel desk was the minimum anyone had if they were serious, and I pretty quickly got a 24 in-line desk with proper 8-buss groups. That is just not appropriate now (for me and I suspect most others). And DAWs are so fully featured and samples/drum VSTi are so good that I don't see that much sonic benefit either.

I always used to be able to tell a real 909 apart from a sample set a mile away, but now there's so much processing available so easily that I can't - Even I can make fairly crappy drum samples so much better with saturation, decent compressors and various other gizmos that I'm actually quite happy with stuff like the included Cubase Groove Agent.

And as SLiC mentioned - desk space is at a premium. I can't justify that space just for 8 drum sounds. I suspect if I still had a real 909 I might even have sold it by now. The one thing a 909 would do is instantly make me do proper techno and acid tracks - it's almost impossible not to - both the sound and the process is just conducive to getting a 101/202/303 rocking to (which very conveniently Behringer can supply :hihi: ). But the rest of the time - don't think I'd use a 909 that much.

TBH I'm pleased it took so long to come out - made me stop being silly about it. And the 808 never wowed me. Crap kicks and I actually hate the cowbell.

I don’t have the desk space or inputs for this, but at that price, I just might find a way to check an RD-9 out (although it still does not actually appear to be available).
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

Yeah, none of the NZ suppliers I checked out have it even listed yet.

There are many days I feel like I got transported to Bizzaro World. These hardware boxes are a physical proof for me having used samples from the 808, 909 for decades. I live in a world where people look for things to need out of a lack of direction. Where problems that have been solved are problems once more because the answers have been forgotten. A time not quite like Bladerunner, but striving for dystopian paradise. If I am on edge buying something that looks like something I never thought I would own might make me feel better.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”