AKAI mpk249 vs NI komplete kontrol A49?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Time to upgrade my midi instruments and I'm not sure, which way to go.

Akai seems to be quite popular and has kb and pads both in one product, and integrates nicely with Reason and Bitwig?

NI is "only" a kb and I know I'd be (sooner or later) buying maschine (studio? jam?) to accompany it.

Does anyone have experience with both and which one would you recommend and why?

Anyone? Experience with at least one of them? What you say?

NI keyboard are really good, but komplete kontrol is a pain.

I have the akai. Chose it purely by it's specs and am not disappointed. Good build quality, though the pitch wheel spring is creaking on my unit at least. Could probably just disassemble it and make this stop, but i'm living with it at the moment as it's not that severe.
Other downside is that the sliders and knobs only transmit standard midi protocol and not 14 bit NRPN if that's important to you.
Not sure how many of the competition offer these though, i was just assuming before purchase that this would have long become standard by now as i haven't bought controllers in ages.
Same applies to poly aftertouch which is as far as i know only available for the pads.
Other than these (for me anyway) small niggles it's really a great product in my book.
Admittedly I don't have too many things to compare it to, but it's at least leagues above my old Novation SL from around 2005 and i have also no complaints compared to my Korg M3 keyboard.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Id say get the A49. The Akai MPK series of keyboards dont come with an software editor.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Yes, but you don't even need one. Editing is incredibly easy on the unit itself.
What i was quite surprised of is the fact, that firmware updates don't even seem to exist for this unit. Not sure if this is just a sign of a matured product right out of the box, or incredibly lazy behaviour on Akais side.
I don't have any issues regarding this anyway.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Akai controllers are usually quite good and so are the Native Instruments controllers.

Those NI Komplete Kontrol keyboards offer some nice options like the scale and chord mode. The A-Series is the entry level of the Komplete Kontrol though and doesn't offer all of the things that the more expensive S-Series keyboards have (like the light guide to play and learn various scales or the big display to browse sounds and switch parameters). It's still quite powerful and integrates perfectly into the Komplete Software environment with the Komplete browser and of course support for NI's NKS standard that is getting adopted by many companies now.

What I like about the AKAI is that it comes with some of the MPC style functions including high quality velocity sensitive pads and note repeat, while the NI integrates specifically well with Maschine (but no additional drum pads) and is easy to setup via software. The AKAI MPK has a larger form factor, so you need more space on your desk.

Another option apart from the AKAI and NI keyboards you mentioned would be the Nektar Impact LX49+ which comes with a nice set of encoders and faders + good quality keys and pads as well at a very competitive price.

I have the Akai MPK225 and I liked the build quality and feel of the keyboard so much I bought the Akai Professional Advance 61.

The only thing that gave me grief was the VIP software that came with the Advance 61. I'm sure it works great for lots of people but not for me.

What I was trying to do is use them both as controllers for my U-he soft synths. VIP seemed to be the solution because you can map tons of stuff - but it wasn't for me. In the end I figured out that all I needed to do was use the program banks to midi map the knobs (which I love instead of faders) to my soft synth controls. Once I have used up the knobs in some logical manner, change to a new program bank and map more.

So in HIVE for example, I mapped one side - oscillators and envelopes, then used a second program bank for the other side. easy to switch program banks back and forth without a mouse. Mod matrix is drag and drop so I didn't need to map all that much.

Also, I did call Akai support one time and got a real person and they helped me. These days that is a rarity at least in my experience. Their knowledgebase self help stuff is not better than anyone else's, but at least they have a phone number.

Anyway, hope this helps your decision. Good luck!

One thing that draws me to akai direction is mpc software. Guess it has a tight integration with that? :lol:

Mentionin novation and nektar. Nektar doesn't really tickle me but novation is pretty universal and good quality?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”