What hardware sampler to choose?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi.

I like software samplers as EXS24 but I would like to buy some hardware sampler.
But what to choose?
It seems that KRONOS2 is the synthesizer of my dream but it's kind an expensive. Maybe there are cheaper solution for my needs?
Please help me with kind advice.

Thank you.

What are your needs? Depending on what you're trying to achieve with it there's a ton of options.

Being someone who owned several hardware samplers (I still own an E4XT Ultra), I strongly do NOT advise you to go that path.

Hardware samplers have no advantage over software, quite the opposite - they have several disadvantages. You will have to spend money in RAM, storage devices,etc. You will have a bad user interface (when compared with software). You will not have good tools to build your own instruments, etc. And you don't have things like hard-drive streaming, for example.

EXS24 is an old sampler. You can't use that as an example of the state of the art soft samplers reached as of today. Even something free as the TX16W software sampler offers you more than EXS24: https://www.tx16wx.com/

And if you look at any one of "the big three" (HALion, Falcon and Kontakt), then you simply have NOTHING in hardware that comes even close.

So, save your money, and buy one of those.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:15 pm Hardware samplers have no advantage over software, quite the opposite - they have several disadvantages. You will have to spend money in RAM, storage devices,etc. You will have a bad user interface (when compared with software). You will not have good tools to build your own instruments, etc. And you don't have things like hard-drive streaming, for example.
If you're talking about studio use only, then yes, I'd completely agree. I owned an e6400 myself in the late 1990's and early 2000's. I wasn't sure if the OP was looking for something to perform live with? That would really (IMO) change things.

I had the MC-909, which was perfect for my needs.
It's only letdown is the typical UI of hardware and storage. Although it holds a fair few samples.
If you use single cycle samples I think it holds 999. Not a lot really. Though it's worth checking as I could be wrong.
What I liked about this was it's ability to use samples as tones in a patch, so you could synthesise your own samples. Fantastic IMO!
For me, this was all I wanted, but there are no fancy abilities, just straightforward sampling functions.
You can, however, resample them through internal FX or through external gear back into the 909.

I bought the Elektron Octatrack at first. For me it was at first the ability to get a reliable live rig and so I thought the Octatrack more of a harddisc recorder.
That changed and I like the depth and different approach to sampling in this unit. I even then bought a Digitakt. For me personally also a really good way to get away from the computer and use my ears.
So, when you have your whole outboard gear in (midi) sync with the computer everything is fine.

Now, I needed to buy an Expert Sleepers USAMO and that did cost me extra money. If I need to work on material with a quick turnaround I usually work ITB. It simply is faster and you don´t need to coordinate all the different devices. For some, working with outboard can be a flow killer. And lastly. In hindsight I must say, I really love how Elektron has managed to create deep devices that are more than just samplers.

I have an EMU E5000 and this thing I certainly don´t need anymore. SCSI zipdrive and stuff. The only thing I miss from it is the morph filters, but I have UHE Filterscape for emulating this. So no need to rely on this thing. And I have D16 decimort to emulate this weird behavior when you oversaturate the resampling.

If you like the knobby feel than I´d advice you to get a good control surface. The interface a computer screen can provide is perfect for creating your own samples. That´s what these old devices never had and then you end up with editors, .... .

I have some old samplers and to ensure they're not meant to be gathering dust I made a couple of videos with them during last week.

Ensoniq EPS - a complete demo and background story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIemyrZjrzI

Akai S-1000 KB with a broken drive: Using the internal waveforms and creating a kind of ambient session with those:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCwuzpi11M8

For my daily work though I go to Reason and the NNXT & the Combinator & Kontakt. Music with NNXT & Combinator and my Fairlight based soundbanks here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cwDEX2wRBE

I try making fun videos with various synthesizers on my channel as well as lots of demos of my soundbanks so there's a lot more there.

(Do I only post on KVR with the intention of killing discussion threads?!) Echo, echo...? Is my mic not on?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”