Buzzzy! digital polysynth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,
"Buzzzy! is a 16 voice / 4 part digital USB & MIDI module with 4 synthesis engines and quality built-in effects."
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13 ... -polysynth

(announcement : http://www.synthanatomy.com/2019/04/fre ... sizer.html)

I've just backed the project this morning: this synth sounds very good to me, and considering what the Buzzzy! offers, the price is really fair.
What I like too is the small size (and happilly a complete midi cc implementation) ...

yo

I like the buzzy sound to it!
Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - NS Wav5C Electric Cello - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra
whitepianos.blogspot.com

At first I thought "meh, a chiptuney polysynth" but letting the "some sounds with a keyboard" video play for its full length, it actually does sound really good.

I especially like the FM, but anyone who knows me won't be surprised by that.

Not a chiptune synth effectively.

In fact Fred (the guy behind the buzzzy!) has worked on some well-known synth (you can find his name in some waldorf synth documentation for exemple, but not only at waldorf).

Already 80 contributors ! The project is closed to be backed.
Fred has sent a prototype to a well known youtube reviewer :) . Probably more news soon ...

loopop review, very nice synth clearly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFtogURdbVk

Et voila .... Buzzzy! is funded ...
Message from kickstarter / Frederic, with a good surprise, some stretch goals :-).

"
Status
Today at about 3pm, one of you fellow backers reserved the last Buzzzy! required to secure the project funding. This is just amazing!

Once again, an enormous thank you, to all project supporters and backers.

Now, it is guarantied that the Buzzzy! will be produced and distributed. This means so much to me as it justifies the months I have spent designing this little module, without knowing if it will ever find its public.

Organization
Beginning of next week, I will personally visit the main industrial contractors to finalize the production plan, negotiate some volume pricing and try to organize the whole supply chain so we do not lose any time when starting the production.

At the same time, I will be improving the firmware and make new feature proposals.

Stretch goals
In exception to some surprises (that I prefer to keep secret for now :-)), I am announcing few stretch goals:

- A way of mapping MIDI channels (better integration / stacking)

- More LFO shapes for Filters modulation

- New Arppegiator patterns and modes (+ easier Tempo setting)

- Basic MPE support (only monotimbral MPE)

The funding amounts are not yet defined, as I need to evaluate how much development time is needed for these additional tasks.

Conclusion
I am feeling very happy and super thankful but also quite exhausted after this very intense week. I guess it is time for some well deserved rest!

So, I wish you all a great weekend and plenty of love from Germany :-)

Fred.
"

Some good news from Fred:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13 ... ts/2496725

To be noticed: the 30K goal is already reached.

Software progress
The USB device support is now complete and the testing process has started. All module functions formerly only accessible using a MIDI DIN connection are now also available using MIDI over USB.

In addition, the module now emits all the MIDI CCs (control changes) corresponding to the tweaking of synthesis parameters while performing, so you can record and recall all live modifications of the sound.

This feature can also be used to control a second Buzzzy! module (order two and you will get a nice price :-))

Stretch goals
As promised, these are the campaign stretch goals:

30k - MIDI channel mapping

Current implementation:

Parts and MIDI channels are attributed according to their number. Part 1 is linked to MIDI channel 1, part 2 is linked to MIDI channel 2 ... and so on. And the user cannot change this mapping.

Future implementation:

MIDI channels can be freely attributed to parts. Users just need to press the shift + part switches long enough to enter the MIDI learn state. The channel of the first note received after entering MIDI learn state will be used for the selected part.

This feature replaces the randomize part sound parameters feature.

45k - Arpeggiator patterns

Current implementation:

The third potentiometer controls the Arpeggiator note repeat count. Notes registered are repeated the selected number of times.

Future implementation:

The note repeat count parameter is replaced by a the following selection of patterns: order (default), up, down, up & down, random, 2 times, 3 times and 4 times repeat (same as using the former note repeat parameter).

60k - Basic MPE support

Current implementation:

No MPE support.

Future implementation:

Special MPE mode can be enabled on module start-up, by a combination of switches (to be decided). The MPE mode will only support simple mono-timbral play with up to 12 voices and the sound parameters from the first part of the edited multi will be used as the played instrument.

Wow! This was a significant update! I hope you have enjoyed reading it :-)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”