What type of mic should I buy (new youtuber)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I have a pretty decent mic pre (Anelope D4) and I'd like to make some videos and push to youtube. I have some good condenser mics in my mind but wait they need to place in front of my face which my camera will also record it as well. I want to hide the mic out of the scene but retain a good sound quality.

I am asking for suggestion regarding what "Type" of mic do I need when it can place it above my head few inches high. I don't think shot gun mic can do it, right. Is it Boom mic or Dynamic mic ? Once you guys can point me the right "type" and then I can continue my research.

Thanks!
Cowby

well a boom mic is often the one you see coming in to the top of shots on interviews, looks like a wookie teabagging the camera

a condenser should be ok, so long as you have a fairly quiet room. as you will need a fair bit of gain if it's not closer to you, so will pick up any and all extraneous inside and outside noise.
you can get fairly small ones that even in shot wont hide much.

or tgeres those little ones you see stand ups/singers wearing. think madonna dancing while singing...

I recommend Shure SM7B although it's a dynamic mic, so it'd need to be fairly close to your face. Like vurt said a condenser should be alright as long as your room is quiet enough.

To echo the previous comments - condensers work for me, in my fairly quiet room. A boom mic is a really good option too, but it will all depend on whether or not you want it right in front of your face in the shot.

Possibly look at a small diaphragm condenser mic with switchable polar patterns (or where you can replace the capsule), so you can record a much more focused sound using the cardoid pattern, or switch to omni-directional if required - say if you're recording a conversation/interview etc. You don't say how much you want to spend. I have a Sontronics STC-1 which is a great mic for the money (£100 or so) although you need to buy the omni and other capsules separately - it comes with the cardoind one. Lot of choice out there though!

Dynamic mics are, for me, simply the better choice for this purpose.

Loads of radio stations use SM7b or the EV RE20. As long as either of those matches your budget (you already have a decent pre that can provide sufficient gain, which is the only other drawback) there's really no reason to worry about condensers.

https://www.bluedesigns.com/products/yeti/

If you really want the "pro" quality maybe get the Yeti Pro which offers higher sample and bit rates.

This is a great graphic explaining some common uses for the different mic patterns.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:borg:

SM7B or RE-20, both radio/VO standards for a reason.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”