What keyboard to arrange own accompaniment

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I have just got an idea of buying a keyboard player like Yamaha PSR or Casio CT or so . Any helpful advice on a keyboard I can program my own accompaniment, styles, bassline patterns for playing with the left hand, to be precise. Does it exist such a keyboard? If it does, can it transmit played programmed notes, I mean patterns not pressed keys, as MIDI events? How is the feature called? By the way, does any arranger plugin or standalone exist? I think the arpeggiator or sequence could do what I look for. Thanks

Hi jarekmn. This genre of keyboards is called arranger keyboards. That would he a good search term for web searching or looking at music store web sites.

I am ignorant of features or usage of this class of instrument but I assumed some of them might be rather fancy because the highest-end examples from Yamaha, Roland and others rival the price of those companies' most expensive keyboard workstations.

There must be something fancy inside to justify the pricetag but dunno details.

Maybe there are multiple auto-arranger softwares nowadays, dunno. PG Music Band In a Box has extensive web presence www.pgmusic.com and numerous YouTube demos.

BIAB does auto accompaniment among many other tricks but it is not real time like arranger keyboards. You type in the song chord progression and many other settings and then it will generate the backing tracks. For my preference that is more useful than realtime auto accompaniment following left hand but it depends on need and preference.

I don't know if still available but for many years was MIBAC software somewhat similar in usage to BIAB.

Perhaps today there are many modern software competitors including realtime arranger software features. I just don't know.

I:m an old hack musician. I won't start recording a song until it is fairly closely arranged and a chord chart / fake sheet done which accounts for every bar in the tune including intro and exit. So BIAB is fabulous IMO for prototyping the arrangement, sanity checking song length, tempo, etc. Print a fake sheet to use while recording. Write an initial midi file containing tempo timesig map to load into the daw.

Lots of goodies like that even if at the end maybe I wouldn't use all the generated tracks, or even any of the generated tracks, in the final song.

BIAB has other major segment uses that I don't need. Often used as a jazz or other genre practice tool. Sometimes used to help teach harmony in school classes. Some music teachers prepare customized lessons and assignments for students in BIAB. It has just been around a long time and has collected a big assortment of features that might be trivial to some yet important to others.

Rigid Audio is selling an arranger instrument for Native Instruments Kontakt:
http://rigid-audio.com/products_hypernode_overview.html

Worth checking out if you have NI Kontakt.

Thanks guys. I have just found out Yamaha PSR-S950. However I will check Hypernode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKPaMVjJqqQ
This I was thinking about ... But it sounds very terribly cheesy... I wonder whether any real synthesizer exists with the option of splitting and programming zones of the keyboard...

jarekmn wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:33 pm ......I can program my own accompaniment, styles, bass line patterns for playing with the left hand, to be precise. ....

Thanks
It's called......

A DAW
Arranger keyboards have pre arranged "Styles" which is quite different than your arrangments. This is the difference between you writing/ recording the arragement and some manufacturer provind one for you.

A melody of or in itself is not an arrangement nor is a chord progression.

Auto accompaniment keyboard take arranging away from you.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”