Poly Chaining Analog Monophonic Synths: Good or Bad Idea?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:22 pm Good idea if you can afford it. Especially if the synth natively supports polychaining - then you can edit all instances of the synth from just one unit.
What synth have seen work like that which is based on discrete audio.

For example Moog Little/Slim Phatty.

Its working well I see, but that 2 Oscillator Moog Sound is the same quality of a Code 8, which I already have.
Looked at a Behringer Model D PChained and that isn’t quite Moog to me.

Wish I could find a 3 Osc synth I could polychain, a poor mans Moog One, but alas my curse is to have great gear and a beat up shitty truck.

Moog One it is then.

It’s gotta be Fat and gotta be Moog, or Studio Electronics.
Otherwise that Dog won’t hunt.

Thanks Brosky

egbert101 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:26 pm
LOL, I certainly don't have a problem with it. I was thinking more Behringer Crave than Neutron, although I assume I would lose a lot of bottom end with the Model D style filter if I cranked up the resonance. So unsure, but thinking of the possibilities (especially modular) makes it an interesting experiment.
I guess it depends on what you’re trying to achieve. Sure, you think that the Crave is cheap (and it is), but if you’re going for a 4 voice synth, you’re now up to spending $800, and figure another chunk of cash for a mixer. Hell, I’ll sell you my Tetras for $800, and you’ll have 8 voices, and they’re designed to work as a single instrument when they’re Polychained.

The Tetras don’t have that VCO-Moogish vibe, but they do have a very cool vibe and that amazing sequencer. IMO, if you really want something Moogy, you’d be better off spending a little more and getting something like a ProFourMer or Abyss.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:29 pm I guess it depends on what you’re trying to achieve.
Just exploring ideas and options. I think the video of the four poly chained Model D's shows how it's a good idea in concept, but a not so good idea in practice, ending with a disappointing experience.

It all comes down to sound, and it may just be that a VCO based poly synth is the only answer for my needs.

Last edited by egbert101 on Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:26 pm I was thinking more Behringer Crave than Neutron, although I assume I would lose a lot of bottom end with the Model D style filter if I cranked up the resonance.
I never noticed a loss of "bottom end" with Moog ladder filters. Rather a loss of volume/amplitude. Of course that also includes a loss of bottom end, but... it's rather the whole spectrum which loses out, i guess.

I'm actually considering getting a Behringer Crave too, just for that filter it would make sense. Sucks a bit that it has only one oscillator. I wonder a bit why they don't just integrate digital oscilators, like Waldorf did with the Rocket, then they wouldn't have to worry about additional oscillators, and having to cut on features to keep the price low.

chk071 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:58 pm I'm actually considering getting a Behringer Crave too, just for that filter it would make sense. Sucks a bit that it has only one oscillator. I wonder a bit why they don't just integrate digital oscilators, like Waldorf did with the Rocket, then they wouldn't have to worry about additional oscillators, and having to cut on features to keep the price low.
Maybe the Model D is what you're after. It's definitely on my wish list (once I move).
<List your stupid gear here>

Yeah, that's what i thought too. Not sure if i really want to shell out 300 € for one at the moment though. I mean, that's really cheap, but, considering i prefer in the box anyway, it's still more double as much as i'd shell out for a full blown polyphonic VST supersynth. But, the Model D is a bit more attractive than the Behringer Crave for me, with 3 oscillators. I guess the Crave rather lends itself for expansion, or in a Eurorack.

egbert101 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:56 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:29 pm I guess it depends on what you’re trying to achieve.
Just exploring ideas and options. I think the video of the four poly chained Model D's shows how it's a good idea in concept, but a not so good idea in practice, ending with a disappointing experience.

It all comes down to sound, and it may just be that a VCO based poly synth is the only answer for my needs.

That’s my VCO poly of choice. Not the most feature packed model on the market (The One probably gets that prize) but it does what I need it to do and I think it sounds great. Actually, better than Moog’s polyphonic offering. Not that I think The One sounds bad, but I get results that are nearly as good, and in some ways better, from polychaining 4 instances of Legend together (I wish he’d do a 12 or 16 voice version). Oh, I’ll give a shout out to Syntronik as well. Between Legend, Syntronik, RePro and my Prophet 6, I’m never feeling for lack of good analog poly VCO sounds.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

chk071 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:58 pm
egbert101 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:26 pm I was thinking more Behringer Crave than Neutron, although I assume I would lose a lot of bottom end with the Model D style filter if I cranked up the resonance.
I never noticed a loss of "bottom end" with Moog ladder filters. Rather a loss of volume/amplitude. Of course that also includes a loss of bottom end, but... it's rather the whole spectrum which loses out, i guess.

I'm actually considering getting a Behringer Crave too, just for that filter it would make sense. Sucks a bit that it has only one oscillator. I wonder a bit why they don't just integrate digital oscilators, like Waldorf did with the Rocket, then they wouldn't have to worry about additional oscillators, and having to cut on features to keep the price low.
Yeah, it’s definitely a thing. Of course, no one would call their Model D, or Behringer’s version, a sub par bass synth. If you’re looking for a VCO that’s got a Moogish tone but compensates for low end loss at higher resonances, look for a Neptune 2.

https://reverb.com/item/2138277-spectra ... une-2-blue
Zerocrossing Media

chk071 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:10 pm Yeah, that's what i thought too. Not sure if i really want to shell out 300 € for one at the moment though. I mean, that's really cheap, but, considering i prefer in the box anyway, it's still more double as much as i'd shell out for a full blown polyphonic VST supersynth. But, the Model D is a bit more attractive than the Behringer Crave for me, with 3 oscillators. I guess the Crave rather lends itself for expansion, or in a Eurorack.
The brilliant things about Neutron and a couple more I think - external input - so you can run another synth as is, or just oscillators you don't have - as input.

So think outside the box, sort of, and see external oscillator.

Seems Crave miss it, and looked Deepmind miss it too. Especially since Deepmind only have saw and pwm square - I thought I could use another sourcing those waveforms - but no.

So those referred to a poly-chained I think also have audio input to chain in that way.

Is there some way to trigger the envelopes via MIDI too? External audio into the synth/filter is cool, but, would be great to apply the envelopes as well then.

chk071 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:07 pm Is there some way to trigger the envelopes via MIDI too? External audio into the synth/filter is cool, but, would be great to apply the envelopes as well then.
The midi note-on works and trigger both, so just running midi from one synth to the other, and audio too - and you can do a lot of things.

It was designed to do many modules in series too, I think Model D has it too as well as Neutron.

For Crave that's the one thing they missed I think, in particular as only one osc.

EDIT: How wrong I was here is a link you can enlarge and see
https://www.gearnews.com/namm-2019-behr ... nthesizer/

Thanks chk071
Last edited by lfm on Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hmm... i actually thought the Crave had external audio too.

Edit: Looks like it has it though (unless i miss something which is likely). Check this picture:

2nd input in the patch bay bottom row.
Last edited by chk071 on Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The reason polychain interest me is that there is not a single VCO poly analog synth available today that I want to buy.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”