Behringer Crave

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

deastman wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:02 pm I have mixed feelings about this. We’ll probably be hearing about layoffs at Moog within a year. Their overpriced synths covered a fair living wage for skilled craftsmen building instruments in North Carolina. Behringer’s massive Chinese factory can crank out similar instruments in massive quantities at a price that no one else can match. On the other hand, I own a DM12 and a Neutron, so I can’t exactly claim the moral high ground. It just feels like the whole industry has been in a race to the bottom ever since Korg got back into analog with the Monotron. Interesting times we live in, that’s for sure...
I don't think that's the case at all. I believe more in the 'a rising tide lifts all boats' outlook. I think Behringer doing well means everyone is going to do well. IMO, the people that were going to buy Moog were never interested in Behringer in the first place regardless of price and the same the other way around. Someone looking a Model D wasn't going to buy Minimoog reissue. One isn't exactly stealing market share from another, because while they're both the type of item, they're competing at vastly different price points and consumers.

It's not good to have only a 'high end' or only a 'low end' -- you want the spectrum covered. That's a healthly market with choice. I can think of any number of stupid analogies, but guys buying/modding $30K cars for performance are never going to drag companies like Porsche and the like out of business. If anything, those same guys aspire to one day own the 'higher end' stuff regardless if what they already have is 80-90% the same thing for 30-40% the price. $10 wine in a box isn't driving high end Napa Valley and French wine out of business. Appreciation and exposure to one usually helps the other. It's human nature to want what you can't have (usually the more expensive thing).

I'm all over these Behringer releases... I have a Neutron and Model D. I'll absolutely get a Pro-1 (always wanted one) and likely the 808/909 boxes. At the same time, I'd have never bought a Moog aside from possibly someday a the Subsequent 37 (that's still far fetched) and would absolutely never buy a classic Pro-One, nor would I ever consider original 808 or 909 machines.

toonertik wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:25 pm
deastman wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:02 pm
DJ Warmonger wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:29 pm I just tried to compare it to Mother32 and laughted :hihi: Smiliar features (incuding Moog filter), but overall more usable, for a fraction of price.

Cheap modulars, what a great time to be alive! :party:
I have mixed feelings about this. We’ll probably be hearing about layoffs at Moog within a year. Their overpriced synths covered a fair living wage for skilled craftsmen building instruments in North Carolina. Behringer’s massive Chinese factory can crank out similar instruments in massive quantities at a price that no one else can match. On the other hand, I own a DM12 and a Neutron, so I can’t exactly claim the moral high ground. It just feels like the whole industry has been in a race to the bottom ever since Korg got back into analog with the Monotron. Interesting times we live in, that’s for sure...
Glass half full.. or glass half empty?
Back in 1978 I bought a Roland Sys 100, sold in 1985.
Not had hardware since, until Wednesday when I took delivery of a Neutron... seriously now thinking of adding more of these new priced units... so this business model has brought me back, I am sure it will introduce a new younger audience... My feelings are Moog will always be a Moog. (to use the well worn car analogy {oops must follow Bones analogy.. sorry for this ;) } Bentleys and Mercs are still prestige, and still sell well) If anything it should UP the game for all.
And yeah.. my glass is always half or completely full... same with life )))))))
yeah, id like to think it will actually be a boost to the market. the other companies are better as innovators, behringer are more the emu/copy.
so hopefully it will push the other companies to do something new, and at a higher quality.

also, the behringer bits for me, will be in addition to more expensive stuff. im not thinking of them replacing anything, just as additional cheap oscillators/filters/fx.
the fact that i could probably use just the crave alone if i want to, is just a bonus. and rather nice, inexpensive sounding bonus :D

I have a Moog Mother 32 and will still be getting the Crave when it comes out. I bought the Mother32 because I never thought that I would be able to afford a real Moog, and I am glad that I did. Even if the Crave sounds similar, I will have two analog synths that I can use together, and I don't have to worry about bringing the Crave anywhere or anything happening to it. As the other poster said, a Moog will always be a Moog, and worst case I can sell it in X years for probably close to (if not more) than what I paid for it.

Ordered.

£129 :shock:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:54 pm Ordered.

£129? Where at? :o :tu:

rob_lee wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:58 pm

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/synthesizer/ ... ynthesizer

Would be rude not to really.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:01 pm
rob_lee wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:58 pm

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/synthesizer/ ... ynthesizer

Would be rude not to really.
Ah yeah Bax.. that's where I ordered the Toraiz and Beatsteps from.. really cool shop :tu:

jesus h christ on a bike :o :o :o

9 weeks delivery tho.... im gonna bet it will be much longer.... i think i'll wait a month to make sure its actually in producte

AnX wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:07 pm

jesus h christ on a bike :o :o :o
Yup. Don't forget both Behringer and Bax have margins in there also. They must be being produced for £50 odd. Mind blowing.

AnX wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:09 pm 9 weeks delivery tho.... im gonna bet it will be much longer.... i think i'll wait a month to make sure its actually in producte
£129 for this is f**king fab.. Software developers trying to sell you a vst for more than that lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

AnX wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:09 pm 9 weeks delivery tho.... im gonna bet it will be much longer.... i think i'll wait a month to make sure its actually in producte
True. Little risk though if you're using a reputable supplier.
Worth it for that price IMO.

im not arguing about the price Rob, just not fully convinced its actually in full production yet (behringer are a bit slow to say the least)

AnX wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:15 pm im not arguing about the price Rob, just not fully convinced its actually in full production yet (behringer are a bit slow to say the least)
I'm agreeing with you about the delivery times AnX :tu: Was just saying it's cheaper than lots of soft synths out there :D

AnX wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:15 pm im not arguing about the price Rob, just not fully convinced its actually in full production yet (behringer are a bit slow to say the least)
I've never pre-ordered anything but I suspect the demand will be huge so I'm getting in early.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”