AXE I/O [and firmware 1.1.0] Now Available (was: New IK hardware coming)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The more mac/win glitz that a daw must compete with,
the greater the chance for problems.

I've read far more damage control threads here
at kvr, about win 10 itself, than virus/malwares.
But I can't speculate about what goes on out in
the real world, where the OS itself
is it's own greatest threat. :dog:

ShawnMH wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:03 pm
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:12 pm AXE I/O is more than capable of very low latency and great clean sound via the Class-A preamps that have 5 Hz to 32 kHz frequency response and 116 dB(A) dynamic range and very low noise (as well as the excellent tone-shaping controls for guitar input on the main guitar input and many more features). It's a well-spec'd audio interface, has great guitar tone-shaping features on top of that, and as pointed out comes with great software (not only AmpliTube 4 Deluxe but 10 T-RackS singles and Ableton Live 10 Lite.
Are we talking RME Babyface Pro style low latency (comparable), where its still working solid under some decent load of multiple tracks/plugins? Not using the "direct input/monitor mix" trick? And yes, I know PC/system specs have a lot to do with it.

Second question: Is there going to be an upgrade/discount/barebones version for those of us who have Amplitube 4 Deluxe (Maxx and everything else in my case), and T Racks? I already have an Ableton Live Lite that I will never use either.

Initial impressions are that the AXE I/O looks great, and will likely be VERY handy and efficient for guitar players. Specs for sound quality seem promising as well. I do hope that low latency (under average load) was high on the priorities list while designing this - and the drivers.
I've asked for latency figures that are more precise. It is definitely very low, but will see what I can get for more specific roundtrip latency etc.

There is no version that doesn't have the bonus software, that unlocks whenever the unit is registered to your account.

Thanks for the kind words. Low latency was most definitely a priority (as guitarists are of course nuts over latency, sometimes overly so - sometimes perfectly so - sometimes anywhere between :) and I say this as a guitarist). We're also happy to deliver AXE I/O with its own Windows drivers. No more ASIO4ALL or similar!

kovacs wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:07 pm "Bonus content is non-transferrable and has no cash value."

Does this mean that if the unit is resold, the new owner would not get the software?

I am also concerned about the choice of USB 2.0. I have been in the market for a thunderbolt / USB 3.0 interface since my MacBook Pro only has 4 thunderbolt ports.
Our support team typically takes care of hardware transfers and makes the new owner happy, just have to make sure to contact them or have the buyer contact them to make the process as smooth as possible. That statement means that you won't be able to transfer/sell just the bonus content on its own.

USB 2.0 vs 3.0 has no bearing on processing audio data. It will cause zero issues and have zero performance impact. This is a topic (some say myth) that has been discussed (busted) quite a bit so if that is the concern you have nothing to worry about and a quick search should provide deeper details on it. I forget who said it (it was a popular audio publication or audio media site) but with great bandwidth as the benefit of USB 3, that is akin to a delivery service using larger trucks to deliver your packages. They can carry more, but it won't get them to you any faster.

bill45 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:54 pm Is it Shipping?
Yes! And shipping is free on AXE I/O through February!

lfm wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:19 pm
Elektronisch wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:06 am If dropped Microsoft support for Windows 7 is not a compeling reason (besides better RAM management, significantly better performance :) , more secure, DX12 support, upcoming better audio performance support ect ect) i dont know then what is for you a compeling reason :)
BETTER - BETTER - BETTER - what happend to good enough?
BETTER is the oldest selling trick in the book of sales.
- this model is better, it has microprocessor controlled windshield wipers
- ok I buy it

For some that is enough.
- I thought my wipers worked fine
- I guess not then, mr salesperson
- what will I get for my current car
- nothing, it's virtually no value with those wipers

DX12 is for gaming PC, no significance for daws and doubt even doing video.
I think some video effects use 3D in realtime, but once rendered does not matter.
Secure from what - in an offline daw?
Better performance - everything need not run in realtime regarding effects and vst instruments. All daws have freezing options - so just running audio is no issue.

And in the end now, windows 10 seems to come with an update that can load bundles of plugins without FLS issues - what many experienced limitation of. That was one compelling reason to not be an early bird.

If it aint broke - why fix it?

All this written on a 16 year old XP computer with no security updates for almost 5 years. And being my internet computer online 10 hours a day, no anti-virus.
- that's wild, man....
Though it won't work with XP, I want people to know that I did post earlier that AXE I/O will definitely work with Windows 7. The Specs were updated after we tested it to make sure the drivers work well (as well as the Control Panel software).

Thanks for sorting the Win 7 info out Peter - much obliged.

lfm wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:19 pm
Elektronisch wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:06 am If dropped Microsoft support for Windows 7 is not a compeling reason (besides better RAM management, significantly better performance :) , more secure, DX12 support, upcoming better audio performance support ect ect) i dont know then what is for you a compeling reason :)
BETTER - BETTER - BETTER - what happend to good enough?
BETTER is the oldest selling trick in the book of sales.
- this model is better, it has microprocessor controlled windshield wipers
- ok I buy it

For some that is enough.
- I thought my wipers worked fine
- I guess not then, mr salesperson
- what will I get for my current car
- nothing, it's virtually no value with those wipers

DX12 is for gaming PC, no significance for daws and doubt even doing video.
I think some video effects use 3D in realtime, but once rendered does not matter.
Secure from what - in an offline daw?
Better performance - everything need not run in realtime regarding effects and vst instruments. All daws have freezing options - so just running audio is no issue.

And in the end now, windows 10 seems to come with an update that can load bundles of plugins without FLS issues - what many experienced limitation of. That was one compelling reason to not be an early bird.

If it aint broke - why fix it?

All this written on a 16 year old XP computer with no security updates for almost 5 years. And being my internet computer online 10 hours a day, no anti-virus.
- that's wild, man....
Better performance = means more headroom on the processor to load things :) in my case it really helped me with some of the projects :)
Indeed DX12 doesnt do anything, but mentioned just in case if you game on the same pc (i actually do and DX12 in quite alot of video games gives better performance vs DX11)
About security, its not about DAW being offline, its in general about having connectivity to the internet. Some of programs can give an open exposure, windows itself can be exposed, its not without a reason there are constantly searching open holes in the OS so they could be fixed :)

egbert wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:56 am Thanks for sorting the Win 7 info out Peter - much obliged.
No problem. I was hoping it wouldn't get lost among the general argument I'm seeing here. All of those are valid opinions, of course, but as far as related to AXE I/O, Windows 7 will be just fine. :)

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:45 pm
There is no on-board amp modeling with AXE I/O.

Thanks for the info.

PS: the automatic translation (for portuguese in my case, but probably in more, I guess) is not quite there yet to be used in a profession site that is selling stuff, it may even cast some doubts on the company :wink:

We will have multiple demonstrations of AXE I/O at NAMM and for those who cannot be there we will live stream some of our events. You can see the schedule on our site here.

The first will be Bumblefoot on Thursday, opening our events by showing AXE I/O:

I don't know if he'll be bringing his doubleneck fretless & fretted guitar shown above, though.

We also had Warren Huart of Produce Like a Pro sit down with our CTO and chief designer of IK products like AXE I/O at NAMM 2019:

https://youtu.be/JyJIhe5K10M

Here is a video I just saw today from Bonedo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWGe-f51jKU

Firmware update available:

AXE I/O - Ver. 1.1.0 - Release Notes

Changes from version 1.0.2:
  • Route instrument input 1 directly to the Amp output to record both DI and amplified signals simultaneously, with zero latency.
  • Tuner can now be configured to mute inputs when engaged, for silent tuning.
  • Outputs 1 & 2 can now be mirrored to outputs 3 & 4, to send the same signal to two different destinations more easily.
This is the "inspired by Joe Satriani" update (great suggestions on his part) who is now in the IK family of artists:

https://youtu.be/GR_F490t8CE

Bonedo did a sound test (no voiceover) of AXE I/O:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWGe-f5 ... _r&index=5

Pensado's Place will be airing an episode of Into The Lair that they recorded live which features AXE I/O at 1PM PST today (July 12, 2019). Check it out!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”