AXE I/O [and firmware 1.1.0] Now Available (was: New IK hardware coming)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pc999 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:30 pm
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:36 pm Sorry, @pc999 I missed your question but no there is no official Linux support
No problem.

There is many interfaces that does not officias support but work just fine on Linux...

Can you tell if the amp modeling is software based or hardware? I mean, if the amp modeling is made by the interface itself, or is only on the PC?
There is no on-board amp modeling with AXE I/O.

Pretty impressive looking unit. Excited to see/hear more.
Tangled roots perplex her ways.

No Win 7 support? Say it ain't so, Joe.

So Peter, does it install on Win7?

egbert wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:27 am No Win 7 support? Say it ain't so, Joe.

So Peter, does it install on Win7?
As spec'd it doesn't support Windows 7. I have not tried to rebel and install it on Win 7 Pro yet. That would probably have to wait until after NAMM for me at this point.

Looks like a decent upgrade from existing tech specs,
and someone without previous virtual setups can phase
themselves in, without abandoning their existing tube hardware.
Those just needing an amp-sim and mastering software can count
the hardware as a low-cost/high-yield bonus.
Perhaps there'll be a nice bump in the second-hand market
as people calculate their adavantages with the axe-io.

I don't think dropping support for win7 will help anyone.
There are lots of well configured win7 setups working today,
and will be long after msoft's brexit date. People with systems working
at a high level, won't be easily moved. I read that the UNO doesn't
have win7 support for it's firmware updates. Assuming the same
for the axe-io, that could be an
:dog: ouch :dog: for some potential customers.
Cheers

Yeah - no compelling reason to move a DAW off Win 7.

If dropped Microsoft support for Windows 7 is not a compeling reason (besides better RAM management, significantly better performance :) , more secure, DX12 support, upcoming better audio performance support ect ect) i dont know then what is for you a compeling reason :)

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:26 pm
Elektronisch wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:02 am It is an audio interface https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/axeio/

Although i did expected a bit less expensive, but it looks gorgeous :D

Im a little bit confused about inputs, does rear panel has 2 stereo inputs? (mic 1/2 and ext controllers 1/4 jacks)?
The rear panel has:

On/Off power switch
External DC power input
MIDI I/O 5-pin DIN connectors
B-Type USB socket for connecting a computer (Mac/PC)
2 x 1/4" TRS External controllers sockets
2 x 1/4" TRS Balanced floating line outputs
2 x 1/4" TRS Unbalanced line outputs
2 Combo sockets for MIC input and Instrument input (auto selecting)

The Mic inputs are combo inputs, and the controller inputs are TRS for expression pedals or switches.
I suppose those 2 x 1/4" TRS External controllers sockets cannot be used as audio inputs?

Elektronisch wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:06 am If dropped Microsoft support for Windows 7 is not a compeling reason (besides better RAM management, significantly better performance :) , more secure, DX12 support, upcoming better audio performance support ect ect) i dont know then what is for you a compeling reason :)
So if you had a machine with all kinds of copy-protected stuff on it you would expect to be able to migrate it from Win 7 to Win 10 with no issues whatsoever?

DX12 - why do I need that with RME ASIO?

If I build a new machine it will get Win10 but no older machines will get upgraded.

egbert wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:23 am
Elektronisch wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:06 am If dropped Microsoft support for Windows 7 is not a compeling reason (besides better RAM management, significantly better performance :) , more secure, DX12 support, upcoming better audio performance support ect ect) i dont know then what is for you a compeling reason :)
So if you had a machine with all kinds of copy-protected stuff on it you would expect to be able to migrate it from Win 7 to Win 10 with no issues whatsoever?

DX12 - why do I need that with RME ASIO?

If I build a new machine it will get Win10 but no older machines will get upgraded.
Just do an upgrade, thats what i did :) i bought Windows 7 when it came out in 2009. In that time i actually even switched different PCs and i didnt reinstalled, just kept the system disc the same, Windows did its thing to recognise all the stuff except for some parts i needed to reinstall the drivers. Only had to reinstall fully windows 7 when i switched system disc from HDD to SSD in the end of 2013 :) and when there was option to upgrade for free from 7 to 10 (be aware windows 7 had to be installed, so there were all drm stuff installed) i did used that promotion (i think it was in 2014 or 2015) and never had any problems, windows 10 still hasnt been reinstalled, the migration was hassle proof. Im still using Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 that was released 10 years ago without a hassle with old drivers and on unsupported by focusrite firewire chipset (VIA). Even old plugins like Junglist and Z3ta 1 still work.

Good news! Check the Specs page at https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/a ... hp?p=specs now... Windows 7 is a go.

Still note that Windows 7 will be fully unsupported [edit - by Microsoft, I mean] fairly soon (I forget the date but it is likely less than a year to go now) so we - since I do also use Windows 7 on my main studio machine and will update around the time it is unsupported - will not even get security updates which is the breaking point for many. Including me, as I said.

Edit simply for the missed opportunity to instead say: "Looks like Windows 7's back on the menu!" to reference the hubub from LOTR fans wondering how Orcs knew what a menu was since (at least their experience of and locations like Misty Mountains and Mordor in) Middle Earth didn't really appear to have many restaurants when one (Uglúk?) stated "Looks like meat's back on the menu" :)

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:12 pm AXE I/O is more than capable of very low latency and great clean sound via the Class-A preamps that have 5 Hz to 32 kHz frequency response and 116 dB(A) dynamic range and very low noise (as well as the excellent tone-shaping controls for guitar input on the main guitar input and many more features). It's a well-spec'd audio interface, has great guitar tone-shaping features on top of that, and as pointed out comes with great software (not only AmpliTube 4 Deluxe but 10 T-RackS singles and Ableton Live 10 Lite.
Are we talking RME Babyface Pro style low latency (comparable), where its still working solid under some decent load of multiple tracks/plugins? Not using the "direct input/monitor mix" trick? And yes, I know PC/system specs have a lot to do with it.

Second question: Is there going to be an upgrade/discount/barebones version for those of us who have Amplitube 4 Deluxe (Maxx and everything else in my case), and T Racks? I already have an Ableton Live Lite that I will never use either.

Initial impressions are that the AXE I/O looks great, and will likely be VERY handy and efficient for guitar players. Specs for sound quality seem promising as well. I do hope that low latency (under average load) was high on the priorities list while designing this - and the drivers.

"Bonus content is non-transferrable and has no cash value."

Does this mean that if the unit is resold, the new owner would not get the software?

I am also concerned about the choice of USB 2.0. I have been in the market for a thunderbolt / USB 3.0 interface since my MacBook Pro only has 4 thunderbolt ports.
Last edited by kovacs on Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Soundcloud Too many pieces of music finish far too long after the end. - Stravinsky

Is it Shipping?

BETTER - BETTER - BETTER - what happend to good enough?
BETTER is the oldest selling trick in the book of sales.
- this model is better, it has microprocessor controlled windshield wipers
- ok I buy it

For some that is enough.
- I thought my wipers worked fine
- I guess not then, mr salesperson
- what will I get for my current car
- nothing, it's virtually no value with those wipers

DX12 is for gaming PC, no significance for daws and doubt even doing video.
I think some video effects use 3D in realtime, but once rendered does not matter.
Secure from what - in an offline daw?
Better performance - everything need not run in realtime regarding effects and vst instruments. All daws have freezing options - so just running audio is no issue.

And in the end now, windows 10 seems to come with an update that can load bundles of plugins without FLS issues - what many experienced limitation of. That was one compelling reason to not be an early bird.

If it aint broke - why fix it?

All this written on a 16 year old XP computer with no security updates for almost 5 years. And being my internet computer online 10 hours a day, no anti-virus.
- that's wild, man....

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”