2019 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's amazing how many popular products are out of stock most of the time, and when you do order how long the wait often is. Either demand is soaring or just-in-time delivery is getting out of hand. Waiting months for products from Behringer, tc electronics, Revelation Guitars, Red Panda, Proco, even Roland... (not to mention the stuff I lost in the mail, over the last few months)

Tried to buy a 2nd hand pbone (plastic trombone), but the price wasn't right (neither was the colour, yellow being claimed by separatist Trumpists and worse here in Belgium, I find that colour sickening lately).
My neighbours don't know how lucky they are ;)

Lyra-8 is definitely a beast.

If I keep it simple in terms of modulation, I've sort of got it figured out. The delay is dirty AF (more so than most PT delays) and the overall sound is pretty raw and mean. It's not too hard to tune it and play it or set it up for drones or quasi-drones.

But with modulation it's mind-blowing and confusing. Basically take all the rules of FM and throw them out (even if you're used to working with expo FM in modular). The various oscillators spontaneously sync up or don't, pitches can take sudden dives or the whole thing will start stuttering and dropping out. I think I read somewhere that the oscillators are based on divide-down chips from organs, which is why all hell breaks loose when you try to cross-modulate. It's as good a reason as any, I guess...

Anyway, my first relatively tame jam with it. Very mild "Total FB" modulation on this, and some EQ and Brusfri to tame some of the PT delay noise.

https://soundcloud.com/starthief/lyra1

And, whoa, if I wanted to do industrial/powernoise, running drums through the FX here would be just the thing. I see the appeal of the Lyra FX Euro module now. Kind of cool to slam the drums through the same delay and distortion as the drones though :)

foosnark wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:18 am And, whoa, if I wanted to do industrial/powernoise, running drums through the FX here would be just the thing. I see the appeal of the Lyra FX Euro module now. Kind of cool to slam the drums through the same delay and distortion as the drones though :)
indeed, at minimal levels a lovely delay, go a little further and it's a monster :evil:
then sweep the drive in and out :o
you hear the voices of the damned!!!!!

At one point last night I was trying to figure out why one of the voices was holding this deep, earthshaking modulated drone when had all the pitches set pretty high... and then I realized it was just the delay feedback :o

After a long search for the final piece of gear for my setup I went ahead and ordered the Akai Mpc X this afternoon.
Used to own the Mpc 2000xl back in the day so this should bring back some good memories. I also bought this for all its connections 4 midi outs.. 2 midi ins and the audio inputs plus autosampler I can sample my hardware synths with ease and build presets from within the Mpc X and the CV connections in case I ever delve in to the modular world.
Looking forward to delivery and checking the new centerpiece of my setup out 👍

Nae sign of the Zoia coming into stock yet, delayed another fortnight. Thought about a Lyra-8 instead, but then saw Thonk have the Dreadbox Antiphon kit, which I promptly bought...
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

yeah the zoia is taking it's time :cry:
my current debate is, do i add 104 or 208hp :hihi:
need to work out how it's all going to be mounted for use...

looking at a couple of other delays and reverts too (pedals) trying to decide which adds to the rig 8)
do want a second canyon, mainly for the looper but a grand canyon could be a worthy addition too with the additional bits.

I have these currently somewhere between Spain and US Customs:

vurt wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:57 pm yeah the zoia is taking it's time :cry:
my current debate is, do i add 104 or 208hp :hihi:
Im intending to rebuild my Doepfer 2x84HP cases into something 3 rows high, while upgrading the power supplies on at least one of them from its lamentable 650mA to 3A.
Basically Ive got all the stuff I need to do it except the PSU, I just cant be arsed taking all the modules out again. :cry:
In the meantime Ive just received two mini-tesla-coil speakers from china. They were nearly six quid each, so what could go wrong... :clown:

id try them at uni first, perhaps with an undergrad. :lol:

vurt wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:04 pm id try them at uni first, perhaps with an undergrad. :lol:
hmmm. i am actually teaching on monday....

"and this is how high-frequency screams are generated..."

Ooh, definitely let us know how those tesla coil speakers are, and where you got 'em. I know someone who would love that. :D

lets see if he survives them first :hihi:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”