2019 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hmmm, one of the channels on the DivKid Mutes is playing up, think it needs soldered. On the other hand the 1010Music Euroshield is now working. There was a brief panic because it seemed to be glitching and stuttering, till I realised it doesnt have enough attenuation on the inputs, and it was just distorting. RYO airtenuators to the rescue.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

glad to hear it was nowt serious!

man this supercell is a monster! a writhing, immense, beautiful monster!

i take it everyone is now waiting on the zen delay? :lol:

foosnark wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:55 am
The layout annoys me and looks wrong for some reason, when I just see a photo of the instrument itself. When I see it in context (like in your pic) it seems to fit in just fine.

But it's too wide for my setup. I think it would have fit if they'd designed it more conventionally.

My setup is like this (except there's a laptop stand with an Analog Drive above the Reface, a Microbrute where the Maschine was, I sold the Volca, and the modules have changed a lot.)

It’s almost exactly two 19” rack spaces wide, so it would replace all those small guys on the table to your right. My pedalboard is two rack spaces wide and everything is as snug as a bug in a rug.

dangayle wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:20 pmIt’s almost exactly two 19” rack spaces wide, so it would replace all those small guys on the table to your right. My pedalboard is two rack spaces wide and everything is as snug as a bug in a rug.
That Eurorack case is only about 23 inches wide. It's 114HP, where 104HP = one 19" rack.

The stuff I have in front it was about 25.5" wide, and I don't have the Volca anymore. It was a little awkward to use where it was.

The Digitone Keys is 34" wide...

foosnark wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:51 pm
dangayle wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:20 pmIt’s almost exactly two 19” rack spaces wide, so it would replace all those small guys on the table to your right. My pedalboard is two rack spaces wide and everything is as snug as a bug in a rug.
That Eurorack case is only about 23 inches wide. It's 114HP, where 104HP = one 19" rack.
A 19" rack only provides 84HP of rack space.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Um, well. a 19" rack will hold 84HP of Euro. But 84 HP is 16.8 inches across (1HP = 0.2 inches) -- that's the available space inside the rack, not the full width of the rack.

104HP is 20.8 inches... so yeah, I was wrong :hihi:

Anyway, the case manufacturer lists that case as 60cm, which is 23.622 inches.

:whew:

So I kinda just bought myself a Soma Lyra-8 :wheee:

foosnark wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:08 pm So I kinda just bought myself a Soma Lyra-8 :wheee:
:party:
saw a few vids of the synth while researching the delay module, that thing is a beast :D

vurt wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:27 pm
foosnark wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:08 pm So I kinda just bought myself a Soma Lyra-8 :wheee:
:party:
saw a few vids of the synth while researching the delay module, that thing is a beast :D
Its territory runs on a sort of crooked, drunken line between angelic ambient and crushing industrial noise, and that line runs right through my house :D And I am an FM, drone and feedback junkie so I always figured this could be the perfect instrument for me.

Prices are weird -- I could get a new one from a UK retailer (if I waited a month for shipping), or direct from Russia, cheaper than most people in the US resell their used ones. I found somebody with a more reasonable price though and decided to stop waiting.

I've been spending way too much money, so I made some savings today.
On a Zvex Fat Fuzz Factory, and 3 Electro-Harmonix pedals.

I first heard about the Lyra in a forum thread on Chase Bliss' Mood pedal. Both being unpredictable by design, IIRC.
Great to see so much inspiring innovation lately (Roli Seaboard, Moog DFAM...).

those zvex pedals are crazy batshit good :ud:

vurt wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:22 pm those zvex pedals are crazy batshit good :ud:
I've been eyeing them ever since I went hardware, half a year ago. Passed up on a few 2nd hand Fuzz Factory pedals cause they weren't much reduced in price, and I wanted the Fat Fuzz Factory - now it seems I'll get a hand painted one for less than the price of a common one :hyper:

If I'm not mistaken they can sound similar to a Fuzz Face. I've always loved fuzz, but only recently started exploring it. Already have a few Muffs and stuff but only recently did I get my first such pedal (a Germanium Fuzz Face reissue, 2nd hand and silly cheap) and I like it a lot.

I built a Fuzz Factory clone not long ago. It was a fun build, and I learned a lot from the process of selecting/matching germanium transistors. I gave mine a tone control (based on the Big Muff), so it's more like the Fuzz Factory 7. I also buffered the output, so I could run it into other pedals more easily. I love how well it does that sputtering break-up type of distortion and the fact that it self-oscillates makes it a lot of fun with no-input patches.

My other favorite fuzz pedal is the Zoom Ultra Fuzz, they don't come up for sale very often but they aren't very expensive (edit: actually, I just checked and people are trying to sell these for >$150 now!).

I'm afraid my soldering and painting skills aren't up to that.
Zvex gave me a scare today, announcing these beautiful pedals just as I had ordered a simpler version - the price tag reconciled me with my purchase though hehe.
https://www.musicradar.com/news/zvex-re ... es-classic

Today, I tried to switch a delayed order.
4 months ago, my €5 Vax voucher bounced. Bax offered to apply it to my next order. I then ordered a tc electronic Helix phaser pedal, but by the time my order was processed, price had gone up €5. Then the long wait started. And I got 3 bargain phasers, on top of my 2 cheap ones... enough to cover both my guitar and synth/drum phasing needs.
So I mailed Bax, asking to send me an Electro-Harmonix Attack Decay instead. A versatile envelope pedal with fuzz and "bubble" :party:

I'm hoping they will process my request before sending me the tc Helix pedal...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”