2019 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Supercell and Microcell are by Grayscale, I know that... Juno have got the SC...

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/graysca ... 739126-01/
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

:tu: cheers.
no real rush, ive just sent all my savings to kieran :o something about prams being more useful than a drumkit :shrug:
will have to have a proper look at them on youtube and see if they inspire me the same.
obviously i could do second hand, but may as well have a look now :)

Links: Supercell Microcell Monsoon

Monsoon: adds Mix/Pan/Feedback/Reverb controls and inputs instead of a single Blend in different modes. 12HP.

Microcell: adds those, plus input/output VCAs with mute switches and VU meters, make-up gain on the output, extra buttons and LEDs for easier mode changes, and an Aux input normalled to all modulation inputs, and seperate expo V/OCT and linear Pitch inputs that sum. Plus "Superparasites" firmware that combines Parasites with Kammerl Beat Repeat. And it looks prettier. 14HP.

Supercell: that, plus full size main knobs and mini bipolar attenuverters on all CV inputs. A smooth random source is normalled to the Aux input. (Technically true on Microcell too, but disabled by default since there are no attenuverters to tame it.) 34 HP (!!)

I wound up buying a Supercell that Lightbath put up for sale an hour ago. :D

thanks for that.
looks like the supercell is the way to go, id imagine id be thinking "if id only got the sc..." as i was playing with the others, given the extra functionality.
bit more rack space, but its got to be used up somehow :hihi:

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Maybe Monsoon for a small live case or something.

I just found a video where Lightbath uses Supercell... he's running a 2HP Bell into it. It's kinda like

woah :o

foosnark wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:01 pmOn the other hand, I did just sell my Panharmonium after saying I would wait.
Hehe you gave it a 60% chance of surviving further up on this page so your judgement seems intact. :hihi: Honestly I would get just about every other Rossum module before the Panharmonium. Not to say it isn't great just that the others attract me more. Especially like the Trident...wouldn't mind 2 of those. I don't have any modular yet but I keep gawping. :hyper: :dog: :oops:
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

Silaris wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:09 pm I ordered the Roland Boutique D-05, SE-02
I could get a SE-02 at reduced price, so I had a look at the features.
Its sequencer makes it look very tempting, but I already own a Behringer Model D... and I have few inputs left, and a few yet-to-be-released synths on my wishlist. That sequencer though...

cptgone wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:13 pm
Silaris wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:09 pm I ordered the Roland Boutique D-05, SE-02
Its sequencer makes it look very tempting, but I already own a Behringer Model D... and I have few inputs left, and a few yet-to-be-released synths on my wishlist. That sequencer though...
I have one and like both the sequencer and the sounds that it produces, particularly the XMOD feature. I have a Behringer Neutron and I think the two of them complement each other nicely without too much overlap, so that might be the same with you when you stack it against the Model D.

spunkmuffin wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:06 pm Honestly I would get just about every other Rossum module before the Panharmonium. Not to say it isn't great just that the others attract me more.
Linnaeus is the one that has my attention. Linear TZFM on a filter is a unique feature.

I'm not a big filter junkie though so I'm probably not going to budge from my Filter 8, and I'm not that interested in their other filters. And I have enough (or too many) oscillators. And Control Forge doesn't really grab me either since I prefer more knobby and less computer-y modulation sources for the most part.

Forgotten wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:44 pm I have one and like both the sequencer and the sounds that it produces, particularly the XMOD feature. I have a Behringer Neutron and I think the two of them complement each other nicely without too much overlap, so that might be the same with you when you stack it against the Model D.
Just ordered my first Roland synth. Thanks, Forgotten (BTW I have a Neutron too hehe; I mentioned the Behringer Model D cause the Roland SE-02 can sound similar). I'm guessing it will take a while, as it's not in stock. There goes my last free input hehe, I had expected it to last longer.

The Electro Harmonix Nano East River Drive for €27 deal didn't go through. No biggie, I already own a Behringer TS clone, and a Keeley DS-9... I'm relieved and disappointed at the same time.

cptgone wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:13 pm
Nice. Good luck with your decision!

The sequencer is a bonus feature, at least for me. I plan to record the SE-02 via a Toraiz SQUID or another hardware sequencer. With that said, I will most likely use the internal sequencer to work on new song ideas/hooks outside of my studio.

Got my Supercell last night. I feel like it's definitely worth the extra HP for all the dedicated controls :party:

There's no Superparasites manual yet, so the documentation is scattered across FIVE manuals: Supercell, standard Clouds, Clouds alt modes, Parasites, and Kammerl. And of course those are written with the standard Clouds panel in mind, so you have to translate a bit from "the third Blend parameter" or "the middle knob on top". I summarized it in a short text file, but it's mostly logical and consistent so maybe I'll memorize the exceptions without much trouble.

Overall Clouds is awesome, I'm going to have uses for all the other modes (Beat Repeat a lot less but still possible) and I think it's a much better choice for me than Panharmonium was.

I'm almost definitely going to get a Mimephon and sell the T-Rackonizer and Prism. SMR is looking slightly more endangered too.

I also ordered a new computer from CyberPower. Gotta call them in a few minutes to fix a mistake I made with the order, but:

In Win 101 case / 3 Sirius Loop fans
Thermaltake 600W 80+ PSU
ASUS TUF X570 Plus / pro wiring
Ryzen 5 3600 / MasterLiquid Lite cooler
16GB Adata XPG DDR4-3200
GeForce GTX 1650 4GB
1TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD

Couple of minor performance sacrifices for lower cost and lower heat/watts, but 5 jillion times faster than my 11-year-old rig and about $200 cheaper than I was expecting.
Last edited by foosnark on Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cptgone wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:03 pm
Forgotten wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:44 pm I have one and like both the sequencer and the sounds that it produces, particularly the XMOD feature. I have a Behringer Neutron and I think the two of them complement each other nicely without too much overlap, so that might be the same with you when you stack it against the Model D.
Just ordered my first Roland synth. Thanks, Forgotten (BTW I have a Neutron too hehe; I mentioned the Behringer Model D cause the Roland SE-02 can sound similar). I'm guessing it will take a while, as it's not in stock. There goes my last free input hehe, I had expected it to last longer.
You can really tweak some sounds out of the SE-02 that I think are going to be difficult to get from either Behringer synth.

Should have said earlier, but one thing that is a little annoying about the SE-02 is the layout and size of controllers, as it's fiddly to change parameters. I have pretty average sized hands and it's fine for me, but I do wish there was a bit more space and clearer labels. Not a major issue, but it has come up in reviews, particularly when people say they have larger hands/fat fingers.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”