2019 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I wasn't really planning on buying anything else until later in the year, but I ended up picking up a G&L JB bass, a Roland Alpha Juno 2 and an NI Komplete Ultimate upgrade (thanks to demoing Massive X and deciding it made no sense to purchase it separately).

Actually, Massive X has somewhat lessened my gear lust for the new hybrid hardware synths coming out later this year, since I'm not really hearing anything in demos of synths like the Summit or Kyra that I like any better (or in many cases, even as well) as what I'm getting out of MX. If NI came out with a dedicated MX controller with knobs and a screen like they did for Maschine, I'd probably be good for a while, honestly.
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

It's all in the timing. Yesterday, I narrowly avoided a round of troubleshooting I seem to have had coming.

Wednesday: I need more inputs but I'll go for a cheap substitute: a cheap Xenyx to sum my Volcas up
Thursday: damn Windows upgrade, I cannot keep postponing it
Thursday night: f**k it, I'm ordering a new audio interface to expand my 12 inputs to 16
Thursday late night: why don't both my preamped audio interface inputs no longer reach Cubase? Back down to 10 inputs.

The obvious probable culprit: the Windows update, but still this nags me somewhat. I was planning on selling on my old interface when the new one arrives, but can no longer say it works perfectly... although I'm 99.9% sure it does.

Snagged a Cirklon the other day. Incredibly fun little box :)

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

justin3am wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:44 pm
tapper mike wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:51 am Great choice, I'm envious.
I saw that you just got a Krome EX. Great minds think alike!
I like Korg workstations for the Karma stuff but I haven't spent much time with since the old Tritons and the original Karma. After looking at a few other pictures, it looks like the Kronos X is in pretty poor cosmetic condition, but I don't care much as long as it's still in good working condition. I'll be going to check it out this weekend.
Best of luck if it's a road trip..... Then again MI is a far cry from CA.

When I started pricing the Krome, shipping costs were killing me. Used the prices really haven't dropped that much. I figured I could save some pennies if I bought it via brick and mortar.

The nearest GC had one listed used. Called the day before to make sure. Drove 30 minutes only to get the classic GC bait and switch. No noone remembers answering my calls, no they don't have any Kromes instock but here are some arranger keyboards used. So I had them call to the next GC. Yes they have one in stock...(45 minutes from that GC) when I arrive. No it just sold here's some other stuff you might like. On the way back home I decided I'd hit every pawn shop and music instrument shop. Nothing not a damn thing Spent 6 hours on the road only to come back empty handed. Got home went on ebay found a used krome for a reasonable price (not EX) Price + shipping - ebay discount was $675

EX has little over the standard version of Krome. It offers expanded memory, The Kronos piano sound and some EDM packs.

On the other side someone has built a conversion app that makes EX version soundpacks compatible with earlier versions of krome.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

DrGonzo wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:18 pm Snagged a Cirklon the other day. Incredibly fun little box :)

/C
f**k Iv'e been on the list for 15 months :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Great snag mate enjoy :tu:

I ordered the Roland Boutique D-05, SE-02 and SH-01A this weekend. I am a big fan of Roland synths, and wanted to have them available in my studio.

However, I also sold the Korg Minilogue XD to a friend last week. I thought it was a good instrument for the price, but it did not appeal to me as much as I had hoped. In addition, I would have preferred the newly released module version, but it was unavailable at the time of purchase. The Waldorf Blofeld desktop version has replaced its use case in my studio.

Overall, I am happy with my present collection of hardware keyboard/synth instruments, but I only plan to keep a few of them setup at one time, in order to mix things up on a regular basis. My studio purchases will be more focused on furniture and organizational needs going forward.

WIth that said, below is an update list of the primary items I purchased this year:

Synths
* Arturia MicroBrute Creation Limited Edition
* Arturia MiniBrute 2
* Moog Sirin
* Pittsburgh Modular Lifeforms SV-1 Blackbox (qty. 2)
* Roland Boutique D-05
* Roland Boutique SE-02
* Roland Boutique SH-01A
* Studio Electronics Boomstar SEM
* Vermona Mono Lancet '15
* Waldorf Blofeld Desktop Shadow Limited Edition
* Waldorf Pulse 2

Drum Machines
* Arturia DrumBrute Creation Limited Edition
* Roland AIRA TR-8S

Sequencers
* Arturia BeatStep Pro Black Edition (qty. 2)
* Arturia KeyStep Black Edition (qty. 2)
* Pioneer DJ Toraiz SQUID
Last edited by Silaris on Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rob_lee wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:08 pm
DrGonzo wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:18 pm Snagged a Cirklon the other day. Incredibly fun little box :)

/C
My slot is due mid next year :hyper:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:14 pm

/C
Cirklon version 2 certainly looks brilliant. I was lucky to buy a Cirklon version 1 in 2015 and it's great, but version 2 definitely improves it further.
(Happily I've read on a couple of sites that there might be an upgrade option for version 1 owners).

Anyway, today I just bought a Louder than Liftoff Silver Bullet from a UK Reverb.com dealer in Cambridge for a very reasonable price of £1700 + £40 postage. It's second hand but described as mint condition, and at least I avoid the shipping / customs charges to England if imported from the American company.
It's still a LOT of money for a luxury item (and I do have some buyer remorse / worries!). But I wanted a hardware EQ / preamp for my hybrid setup and Silver Bullet is gorgeous.
(Also I believe that if I ever did have to sell it again for financial reasons, I could easily recoup the £1740 on it).

My 4ms SMR and Qu-Bit Prism came yesterday.

SMR is weird. The ring represents notes on a predefined or user scale, and each lit LED represents one of six bandpass filters (which will produce noisy sines with no input). You can rotate their position around the ring with a knob, CV or triggers, and you can change how they spread out. It lends itself to a particular kind of animation that has pretty limited usefulness I think.

Want I really want is an additive oscillator bank with one pitch input, level CV for each oscillator and preferably FM. This really isn't that. It's also not really something I'm going to want to put into feedback loops, but I had to try it in person and hear it to really know that.

I'm waiting on 4ms support to answer a question about updating the firmware, but I've 80% talked myself into turning it right back around. I'm thinking a Verbos HO, or a Just Friends and a hex VCA mixer, are more what I wanted. Since I've got Teletype I can give Just Friends alternate tunings too... On further reflection, I don't really want to spend $550 or $700 just to add an additive oscillator to my setup, and I don't really need JF for anything else.

I'm undecided about Prism, too. The sound is fine, almost exactly what I hoped for -- but the delay responds poorly to modulation (and if it did, having feedback/mix on one knob would ruin some kinds of modulation I'd want to do). It's okay for an end-of-chain effect, but I've got VST plugins for that.

So that was a bit of a bust. But I've got more goodies arriving tomorrow.

foosnark wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:30 pmWant I really want is an additive oscillator bank with one pitch input, level CV for each oscillator and preferably FM.
Hmm perhaps the XAOC Devices Odessa? From 9:40 in the above video. Sounds rather appetising to me. :)
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

There's this nice demo too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HeKS_EW9P0

Odessa's definitely interesting. 512 partials and a lot of macro control over them, and some kind of voice splitting too.

What I was trying to achieve was a patch I did on the ER-301, with 8 harmonic sines manually controlled, into a wavefolder -- which gives you something very much like FM, but potentially a polyphonic feel. I used that technique in this track -- this is just the one "voice" and I'm playing the whole thing on a 16n Faderbank, no sequencer or keyboard.

But after some more thought I decided:

- I'm not going to sweat this specific patch too much. I can use Stages' Ouroboros mode for 5 oscillators (or 6 if I don't care about the fundamental being stuck on), and I may yet be able to use SMR for it. I've only used this patch twice and it's not the only trick up my sleeve.
- I'm going to give SMR more of a chance on its own terms before letting go of it. I did something very Ryoji Ikeda-like with it last night, and it also had an interesting conversation with Panharmonium. (But I really want that firmware update.)
- I'm not going to buy or sell anything else until Knobcon that wasn't already on my sell list.
- I'm probably not going to get Odessa or any other oscillators, unless I can play with one in person and love it, and possibly unless I also decide to let go of other modules.

Once you've decided to throw your money at modular, it's too easy to collect oscillators, and sound processors that can oscillate. I've probably still got too many in my current plan :)

Bought a Roland FA06 in January. Some things about it I really love, but the drums are crap. Maybe not the sounds so much but the beats are dull and fills, intros and endings were created by someone who thinks adding or subtracting a snare beat qualifies as a fill. Intros...good luck making sense out of those. It’s like...I think that was 4 beats...wtf?...it was like 3.79 beats. LOL
BUT it has some great sounds - nice acoustic and electric pianos and very nice pads and strings. For lead synth patches, I hope you like saw waves because there are like 100 of them that are different by minuscule envelope adjustments.
Also picked up a Roland boutique JX-03 which I really like for sound shaping. I probably would have opted for the JP-08 or the SE-02 but I got this for $150. It’s actually a really nice synth module that can add some very Moogish tones to what I’m playing.
AND (yes, I bought 3 synths already this year)
a Korg Minilogue XD that is crazy amazing!! A lot of edge to it, especially for being predominantly analog but the difference in sound is nice in the mix.
Add that to my existing Novation X-Station 49, Akai Miniak (totally underrated), a Yamaha QY70, and a Casio CZ230S (ha, ha) and your in my synth world.

/C
15 months! Then you should be quite close to getting one! :party: Hopefully this year. Amazingly funny box. You are getting the v1 or are you asking them to do the v2 upgrade too?

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

I stumbled across a 2nd hand Yamaha MODX 6 yesterday 8)
It's sounds a bit thin :roll:

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:14 pm

/C
Mine , end 2019, beginning 2020 ,, can't wait
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”