2019 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:16 pm

so far so good!
especially the freeze function. after years ago blowing my teaspoon and it costing too much to send back considering it was 70 quid to buy...
it looks like ive finally found a replacement that actually sounds and works the same :woohoo!:
not to mention the additional functions.

got a simple bit of warped audio going through morphagene, straight in to the prism. that alone is like a samplists wet dream :o
everything triggering at odd times so the repeats are off :hihi:
awesome!

back to it!
I had a feeling it would fit in well ...
:tu: :D

yup for sure!

now, no more showing me stuff!
till next month :hihi:

i think the zoia might be next for me.
obvs.great fun for the studio...
but the small physical package means portability, so it's basically a modular i can take to the missus house for when shes asleep, rather than sitting bored listening to arsetube all night :lol:

Got the modular bug, so I ended up purchasing a Pittsburgh Modular Microvolt 3900 used for a steal ($400!). Digging it so far, but now I'm thinking about selling my Slim Phatty and some software in order to fund a Grandmother down the line. Especially since the Matriarch will cause a flood of used Gmas to hit soon, I'm sure :D

The Korg Modular, Uno and the Minilogue XD have been welcome additions to the studio. Now I am awaiting the Behringer RD 808 to ship.

scaremony wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:16 pm Got the modular bug, so I ended up purchasing a Pittsburgh Modular Microvolt 3900 used for a steal ($400!).
Nice! I kind of wondered if people would be selling them in favor of the Voltage Research Lab.

I just tried my crappo 2-input analog-to-SPDIF converter with the UMC1820, to see if I could squeeze a couple extra inputs in. It would have been handy to keep the Reface in stereo while the Microbrute is still plugged in and not give up any modular channels. Unfortunately:

- the UMC thinks the ADC is sending a 44.1kHz clock, but it's actually 48kHz. :dog: So I get super glitchy screwed up audio through it. It might work better if I switched to lightpipe instead of coax, but:
- Maschine has an 8 input limit anyway. :bang:

So for now I'll be swapping cables between the Reface and Microbrute as needed. I do have a small mixer but I've preferred to keep all the mixing in the DAW so I can automate easily, apply FX, etc. If I wind up getting the Lyra-8 I'm jonesing for, later in the year, I'm going to have to come up with a solution though.

I wound up trading my QPAS for a Joranalogue Filter 8. The thing seems ridiculously versatile, like the Intellijel Dr. Octature on steroids. Feedback patching makes it a chameleon in terms of character, and since I don't always need a filter I appreciate that it works so well as a VCO, LFO, S&H, slew etc.

I rearranged my case a bit, sort of a compromise between ergonomics and signal flow:

Incoming this weekend hopefully: Filter 8

June: Rossum Panharmonium

September, after Knobcon: probably DPO, Cs-L or Furthrrr Generator. Maybe Joranalogue Generate 3 (and a wavefolder?) instead. I'll likely pull out Plaits (to make room and because I'll have a stoopid quantity of VCOs).

that's looking pretty damn sexy! :tu:

Wish I had the room for a case like that. I don't even have room for a couple of tiptop mantis's, really.
Anyhow, I did decide on a MDLRCASE 12U portable, they are compact and can fit on my desk, though costly. It will gain me another 416 hp. The Russian and Make Noise 7U cases can not produce enough power anyway.

:D

Lol, the Eurorack power thing is a pain, a lot of the available cases have insufficient power.
Arturia, Intellijel, Doepfer and Pittsburgh Modular are about the only widely available options with decent power. The Mantis can get away with it by dividing the available power into zones (smart), that will work in most situations. And of course, the μZeus seems viable, though I prefer discreet power.

Anyway, the adventure continues.

throwing a few attenuators, multis and other none powered modules save a bit of power, as well as being bloody useful ;)

vurt wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 2:14 pm throwing a few attenuators, multis and other none powered modules save a bit of power, as well as being bloody useful ;)
Thx :) I'm not having any power problems actually. I am just trying to arrange for adequate resources
in the system I want to wind up with, maybe 12U x 104 hp (14U max), then I should
be good on Eurorack. After that, a small 5U system :D

Anyway, I am just venting as I keep having to re-evaluate cases against my own criteria.
At most times, I'm just a lazy, slovenly asshole. Occasionally though, when I am interested in
something, I am meticulous bordering on OCD about it. :lol:

So I decided not to decide on a case atm. Consequently, I got a QPAS, 1010 Toolbox and a Chronoblob 2. It’s certainly harder to save money on modular synth hardware than plugins during a sale. Had to spend 1100 to save 200 :?

I wanted a Rossum Trident, but it wasn’t on sale, though I may be able to get a deal on it when I am able to talk to them.

*Magneto is cool, but it’s not much of a delay tbh.

*I got the Trident too as it was too good of a deal to pass up.

I'm eyeing the upcoming Novation Summit hard. It should be out in the fall. Assuming nothing catastrophic or unexpected happens between now and then, I'll be picking that up. 16-voice, 61 keys with aftertouch, dual analog filters, analog VCAs, multiple LFO's, effects as modulation targets, tons of realtime controls...it's like they looked the System-8 (which I own) gathered all the criticism about it from the web and fixed it.

That will totally be my new primary controller.

My Filter 8 arrived... lovely rich sound and really flexible. Just as good as a VCO/LFO as I had hoped. The linear FM is pretty mild, but that's mostly true with analog devices that don't do thru-zero. It could have been a little bigger and had built-in attenuators for the inputs -- it overdrives pretty easily, though it sounds great doing it -- but I have attenuators to spare anyhow :tu:

...and someone was selling a DPO for a good bit less than I've seen around, so I caved. So much for waiting until September. :shrug: With luck, that'll be here for the weekend.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”