2019 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:55 pm its one of the better cults ive been part of.
no group sex
Don't knock it until you've tried it. :hyper:
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

Bombadil wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:35 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:55 pm its one of the better cults ive been part of.
no group sex
Don't knock it until you've tried it. :hyper:
maths is less complicated, or destracting.
all those extra "wobbly bits" flying around the room make it hard to concentrate.
and, i can still sit down after a few hours with maths :hihi: just...

Preordered the Make Noise QPAS. I was going to wait until I sold some more modules, but a funny thing happened. I was watching the livestream of the demo at Perfect Circuit, there were all these amazing sounds, and somehow a browser tab opened and my mouse cursor moved itself to the "buy" button. :o

:hihi:

I really shouldn't buy any more gear, but I have my eyes on a pair of Adam T5Vs.
Signatures are so early 2000s.

foosnark wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:39 pm Preordered the Make Noise QPAS. I was going to wait until I sold some more modules, but a funny thing happened. I was watching the livestream of the demo at Perfect Circuit, there were all these amazing sounds, and somehow a browser tab opened and my mouse cursor moved itself to the "buy" button. :o
how are you getting along with the chronoblob?
im doing some delay/reverb research, so any insights would be cool 8)
want a couple of flavours (at least) for delays, maybe a decent bbd and some digital with different modes?
although, the pedals cover a lot of that too, so it's not essential to go all out on delay, just be nice to have some that are moving around :ud:

foosnark wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:39 pm Preordered the Make Noise QPAS. I was going to wait until I sold some more modules, but a funny thing happened. I was watching the livestream of the demo at Perfect Circuit, there were all these amazing sounds, and somehow a browser tab opened and my mouse cursor moved itself to the "buy" button. :o
Yeah, I was at Perfect Circuit last night and the same thing happened to me. There must have been subliminal messages loaded in Tony's Morpagene. :hihi:

It was nice getting to talk to Tony and Kelly from Make Noise for a while, at a location other than the NAMM show floor. We could actually hear each other. :)

I also traded some gear for a Jomox T-Rackonizer. I don't have many filters in my system (At least not a wide variety. The ones I have are mostyly based on Salen-Key topology) but all of a sudden, I will have many!

vurt wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:49 pm how are you getting along with the chronoblob?
want a couple of flavours (at least) for delays, maybe a decent bbd and some digital with different modes?
although, the pedals cover a lot of that too, so it's not essential to go all out on delay, just be nice to have some that are moving around :ud:
Chronoblob is my favorite general purpose hardware delay so far. There are things it won't do -- no really short delay times for Karplus-Strong, no audio rate modulation of delay time for phase modulation, and no particular special character of its own (but that's what the send/return loop is for).

But it's well-behaved and clean, and I really like how it's switchable between pitch-shifting and crossfading the delay time changes. Make it warble drunkenly or tempo-sync to rhythmic patterns instead of boring clocks.

Right now I assume that the ER-301 is going to cover all my delay needs and I will sell the Chronoblob as part of my downsizing -- but I have left enough room to change my mind just in case.

foosnark wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:18 pm
vurt wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:49 pm how are you getting along with the chronoblob?
Chronoblob is my favorite general purpose hardware delay so far. There are things it won't do -- no really short delay times for Karplus-Strong, no audio rate modulation of delay time for phase modulation, and no particular special character of its own (but that's what the send/return loop is for).

But it's well-behaved and clean, and I really like how it's switchable between pitch-shifting and crossfading the delay time changes. Make it warble drunkenly or tempo-sync to rhythmic patterns instead of boring clocks.

Right now I assume that the ER-301 is going to cover all my delay needs and I will sell the Chronoblob as part of my downsizing -- but I have left enough room to change my mind just in case.
thanks
i do like the idea of the send/return loop, adding any character i choose 8)
especially if the underlying delay doesn't have any issues adopting said character.
not really chasing the karplus strong sound personally (i know, why modular if youre not ks? :o ) just some extra texture and movement 8)

jacqueslacouth wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:09 pm

On top of that I am going to finally ditch Apple and build myself a decent PC.
Great Decision.

Trust me. If you build it right it will last for at least ten years.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

donkey tugger wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:59 am Another acoustic guitar at some point. The Epiphone is a nice easy to play guitar and great for pop/rokk stuff with it's bright sound, but I need something with a bit more of a vintage character for my occasional forays into folk wankery.

Recording King. Seriously they are great sounding affordable guitars with amazing playability for the price.

I've been thinking it's time for a change.

It dawns on me that I should have more than enough tools to play what I want. The thing I don't have is the serious skills to match up. I'm fine on the guitar. I can figure out anything I want to play in short order. I'm fine on bass, and I'm pretty okay knocking out a beat with my LP Pro (thanks melodics for helping me with my tabla chops) But my sight reading skills are abysmal. I've been relying on grazing and glossing and using my ear to make up the difference. And I'm sure I could play the linntrument better if I just studied it like any other instrument. So for this year I just want to concentrate on building skills (even though my arthritis is getting worse)

So this year it will all be about .... Piano Marvel. I'm going to study standard notation/ classical music intended for piano and try to apply it to the linnstrument. Once the year is up if I'm satisfied with my skill level I'll think about buying more software.

tapper mike wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:05 pm
donkey tugger wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:59 am Another acoustic guitar at some point. The Epiphone is a nice easy to play guitar and great for pop/rokk stuff with it's bright sound, but I need something with a bit more of a vintage character for my occasional forays into folk wankery.

Recording King. Seriously they are great sounding affordable guitars with amazing playability for the price.
Cheers for reminding me about them - I'd completely forgotten. Look really good, and cheap.

tapper mike wrote: So this year it will all be about .... Piano Marvel. I'm going to study standard notation/ classical music intended for piano and try to apply it to the linnstrument.
Good for you Mike, if I bothered to do that kind of thing, I would likely become a decent musician. Alas...

donkey tugger wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:14 pm
tapper mike wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:05 pm

Cheers for reminding me about them - I'd completely forgotten. Look really good, and cheap.
They have a lot of QC issues. I had a RK ROS-16, I think it was. It was nice for what it was, very pretty, and a bass that belied its size. It did need a setup, though, and I had a bit of trouble adjusting to the V-neck, but nothing major. THEN I decided to try out a few more RKs, 3, I think. I ended up sending them all back. The nut on one of them was about 1/4" off to the side, warped fretboard on another, and all 3 had had a very lacklustre sound.

My advice for a relatively cheap acoustic would be Walden, especially their Supranatura series. They went out of business a few years ago, but a few shops may still have some old stock, and you can find them online. I have a Supranature G2070 (all solid wood), and I ended up selling a Taylor 316 because I preferred the Walden.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”