2019 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

acYm wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:09 am I was supposed to have the presonus eris e8 for my new monitors, I had picked them up before christmas, on what seemed like a lucky deal. they were very promising, but sadly it turned out I only got a good price on them because one had been used as a demo unit and shot to death.
instead of waiting for a new pair from the distributor, I switched to the ADAM T7V, which so far I am not regretting at all.
I am really curious as to where you had got your former Presonus Eris E8's?Were you a victim of false advertising,or did you simply not pay attention to to the details of the webpage...perhaps you bought them from a shady retailer?
Reason I ask,is that Presonus had a sale of their Eris line(I had bought a pair of E44's for just $167 each and they were not used.)

Here is my gear for the new years(some of which,was purchased in the 4th quarter of 2018.)....

oh, unfortunately I'm currently stuck in Canada. good sales, non-shady retailers, online deals - none of that ever applies here.

(sorry canadians but your consumer market truly sucks ass)

While I'm still measuring the power consumption of every piece of gear in order to be ready for the power supply upgrade which I plan to do this weekend, I took the time to order a ram upgrade for my old Mac Mini, so it will go from 8GB to 16GB. It's a bit expensive for the rather small performance gain which I'm going to get (I just need a new computer, that's it), but it will still be useful to work more confidently with samplers.

I also ordered a Reason Ignition Key, because currently my Reason license is authorized to the hard drive. A few weeks ago, following a bad automatic update of the operating system, I had to get a new authorization by marking the previous installation as "lost". I really hate when something like that happens.
Getting an Ignition Key was something that I planned for a long time, but it was always at the bottom of my list (because I rarely use Reason); so I took the plunge in order to have a safer solution for my licenses, so from now on I won't deal with c/r for this software if, in a few years, my current Mac breaks.
I prefer using a dongle when it's possible; I already have an eLicenser, an iLok and also a pen drive for Waves and Plugin Alliance licenses, so I don't mind adding another one, except for the port on the hub... of course I don't like paying for a dongle, but I try to look at it as a tax for a safer/easier future (less troubles if something breaks or if I want to make changes to my computer setup).

My setup feels quite complete, so sanding edges off (like cleaning the power supplies or adopting a safer license solution) makes sense now... the less I'm bothered by things like these, the more I can concentrate on music (which is the real goal, after all).
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

Just bought a Tascam DR100 mk III, on clearance at my local music store. $70 cheaper than on line.

https://tascam.com/us/product/dr-100mkiii/top

So I actually bought this in 2018 but it just arrived:

Oh man is this something special. It's very similar to 8 stacks (called Parts on the Vector) of MonoNote sequencers in the form of a Eurorack module, for anyone who is familiar with Numerology. It has a lot of other neat tricks up it's sleaves. I can sequence 6 voices of CV/Gate/Velocity for my modular but it's also a MIDI sequencer, so I can control other outboard synths.

The SquarP Hermod, next to the Vector seuencer, is also an 8 track sequencer but I don't use it for that. I have routed each Part from the Vector to a track on the Hermod and through it's MIDI Effects (similar to the Note effects in Bitwig or the MIDI effects in Live/Cubase or other DAWS) to process data coming from the Vector. This makes for an incredibly powerful generative MIDI/CV sequencing system! I've only had this setup for one day and I'm completely overwhelmed with the possibilities. Both can operate as USB MIDI hosts, so I can connect my Nektar MIDI controllers and record sequences in real-time or via step editing.

nice!
look forward to hearing it in action :tu:

Well, last year I finished selling off all my hardware and went totally ITB. This year, I have come to grips with what a giant frickin' buzz kill that was and I am going to start again...not exactly sure with what, but I anticipate spending a shitload of cash this year.

On top of that I am going to finally ditch Apple and build myself a decent PC.

Very cool @justin3am, exicted to hear it as well. :tu:

vurt wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:14 pm so although wed rather buy something fun, it's a good idea sometimes to act like an adult :lol:
And I think I did....now that's a first! :lol:
But then again. In the synth world you have to buy boring stuff in order to make the funny stuff funny stuff! :lol:

I added this to my collection of controllers - a Boppad.
Still want to get a framedrum as well...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tj Shredder on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ooh simon says...

How is the BopPad? I had so much trouble with my K-Board I kind of swore off McMillen but that one was kind of tempting.

...of course I don't even use drums that much in the music I'm making now so it's probably not a great idea.

pekbro wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:00 am Just bought a Tascam DR100 mk III, on clearance at my local music store. $70 cheaper than on line.

https://tascam.com/us/product/dr-100mkiii/top

Nice, always liked Tascams converters.

A not very exciting purchase, but a basic 2U studio rack cabinet.

Right now I'm using a desktop rack stand with 9U of Eurorack, a 1U PDU and 1U Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, plus a TipTop Mantis. My plan is to downsize my Euro gear to a synthracks.com 378HP portable case, unify and tidy things up.

Also depending on a seller's response, I'm either trading for or buying a Maths, which will replace Function, MIni Slew and 321. Might as well join the cult. :hihi:

its one of the better cults ive been part of.
no early morning prayers, no group sex and no cyanide smoothies.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”