2019 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Another acoustic guitar at some point. The Epiphone is a nice easy to play guitar and great for pop/rokk stuff with it's bright sound, but I need something with a bit more of a vintage character for my occasional forays into folk wankery.

vurt wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:16 pm no problem here, i find it interesting.
but there is a diy forum 8)

viewforum.php?f=180
Thanks, vurt!
Interesting that I couldn't find a 'tech bench' subforum - or even thread - in DIY - I would think that it might be really useful to for some of us to see how others actively experimenting/small-scale manufacturing have their purposed space managed - what equipment they're using/recommend, etc. - maybe even discuss workflow(s) -

Massive X, maybe. Depends on how i like it really. I didn't overly like Massive, but, still kept it, because i always thought NI will develop a successor, and that there might be a upgrade path.

Apart from that, i doubt i will buy much. Sort of restricted myself to only buy what i really, really want. The hobby is just not worth big expenses, when i maybe do something once or twice in a month.

I was supposed to have the presonus eris e8 for my new monitors, I had picked them up before christmas, on what seemed like a lucky deal. they were very promising, but sadly it turned out I only got a good price on them because one had been used as a demo unit and shot to death.
instead of waiting for a new pair from the distributor, I switched to the ADAM T7V, which so far I am not regretting at all.
otherwise I'm planning on freezing my current setup until at least black friday.

My very next purchase will be a few power supplies replacements for my analog synths. I'm still undecided if I'll replace them all or just a few, or if I'll go as far as replacing them also on a few of the digital synths.

I want to upgrade the sound quality of my setup, so I'm going to switch to linear power supplies (I can hear the noise produced by some switching power supplies: I tried replacing them with a linear power supply and the noise went away, so I'm going to do a massive replacement). Actually, I'll build those power supplies by myself; next Saturday I plan to go buying the needed pieces and I should complete the whole job the next weekend.

Right now I'm measuring the real power requirements of each device (I want the real values, not those declared by the manufacturer or written on the power supply - for example the power supply that came with the Minilogue is rated for 1.7A, but I measured 0.9A when pressing the power button and then a stable current of 0.7A), so I can decide the right size of each power supply.

I think I'll spend 100-200 € for the pieces, but the upgrade will be worth the cost.

Then I'm going to buy a Boss DC-2W pedal, I ordered it last year, but it's not here yet.

I'm also likely to buy a new computer, but right now I have no real plans other than these items...
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

sin night wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:24 pm
I think I'll spend 100-200 € for the pieces, but the upgrade will be worth the cost.
if it helps you feel more comfortable in your "work" environment, then hell yes its worth the cost :)

morphagene arrived
so far ive recorded about 20/30 seconds of some conspiracy show off of youtubes, omg! how much fun :hyper:
im just sat here listening to the lfos and triggers, slice and dice it :ud: 8)

Yamaha mixer, presonus eris something, probably behringer D and neutron.. Then a new PC at some point.

Hardware :
Guitars -
I want another 17 inch box I miss my old one. L5 type tone is magical to me. There is something magical that happens which I can't get out of a 16 inch (175 ish)
Still want a Jackson Dinky

Linnstrument -
Yes mine is working again and yes I still want another one to pair with it. I love this thing and I want to attempt multiple manuals not just splits.

Software:
Bitwig Studio.
Roland Cloud.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I got my Dark World on Friday. It's a thing of beauty. I wish it was stereo (I'm not going to buy another one at $300 to make it that way) and I find patching it in a feedback loop is so useful I wish it just had its own feedback knob built in -- but it's damned good.

This morning I got my order in for an ER-301, rearranged my modular to make room and put some stuff up for sale.

If I can I will get something that allow me to go as stand alone as possibly, maybe a Akay MPC?

So far, a Swissonic 16 port powered USB hub....and a whole lot of cables :lol:

^ whoa that thing is epic, here I was, thinking I was balling with my 9-port Orico...
what are you running out of that monster? stacking some controllers?

acYm wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:22 pm ^ whoa that thing is epic, here I was, thinking I was balling with my 9-port Orico...
what are you running out of that monster? stacking some controllers?
I got it because I had a bunch of cheap hubs, mostly bus powered and the whole thing looked like a spider's web and was it was easy to simply fall over it. I have a lot connected, set it all up yesterday. Machine, Novation X-Station, V Synth, Korg Kronos, Dsi Rev 2, Minilogue, Roland XV5080, Blofeld Desktop, Seaboard, Akai Advance, Yamaha Mu-135 (old GM module) and a Mininova, A Numark usb turntable (for sample digging) mouse, keyboard and external HD. Those older synths demands USB midi interfaces and I should probably have gotten a patch bay at some point but I never got around to it.
So 16 ports are easily used up - thankfully I have 4 more available ports on my Desktop PC.

The Swissonic is great, build like a tank and runs like a dream. A very professional product. But then again €129 is quite a lot for a USB hub. It's sort of a boring purchase to be honest, but an essential one all the same.

yeah, we make a lot of boring purchases, but the benefits enable us to use the exciting stuff in more streamlined and often easier ways.
so although wed rather buy something fun, it's a good idea sometimes to act like an adult :lol:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”