2019 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

toonertik wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:38 pm Just ordered one of these this evening
https://www.tesseractmodular.com/eurora ... step-fader
interesting looking sequencer

:hyper:
also got a few spices, like a doepfer quantizer, precision adder and 2 manual switches...

also pressure points and brains.
Nice :tu:

3D Waves stand for my Reface CS. After that, probably a different rack case -- my Behringer UMC1820 gets warmer than I like and almost certainly needs more ventilation than it's getting.

And once I sell either my Maschine or T-Rackonizer, I'll go for an Akemie's Castle. Because I <3 dirty FM.

Maschine sold, and Akemie's Castle is on the way :party:

Laser thermometers are fun... I found my Behringer UMC1820 reaches at least 107°F on the bottom toward the right side. Sliding it partway out of the rack to give it some air cooled it a little, but a fan cooled it down to 84°. So it's definitely going to get a 1U gap and a pair of 40mm fans.

My old Saffire Pro 40 never got warm in that rack, but then, it was twice the size and has 2 mic pres instead of 8.

I have Beringer's ADA8200... on top of that (unracked) is a Voicemaster Pro (class A amps) I had to put 1" wood spacer between them due to heat from both units. The ADA has 8 mic pres.. I use it for my eurorack outs, not the mic pres.. but warm, it gets.
IMAG0645.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pekbro wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:06 pm
Nice :tu:
I'm hoping... ;)

I've found that the 3DWaves stand for the Reface is perfect. It grabs on to the back and you can pick the whole keyboard up with the stand pieces attached to move around if needed.

I moved my UMC1820 and 1U power distribution into a 3U rack, with a 1U vented gap between and 40mm fans blowing through. While definitely running a little bit cooler than before, the fans aren't having as much effect as I'd expected compared to using a small desk fan. I'll try a few things (reversing the fans, moving the UMC1820 down 1/2 a U so there's a gap above, etc.

Busy day yesterday -- I approved final versions of a couple of tracks mastered by Obsidian Sound and descriptions of what the engineer did (and made a lot of notes about it), the last module I was trying to sell finally went on Reverb, of course the auctions here, and Akemie's Castle arrived and I set it up and recorded a quick play with it.

If you have plenty of space in your rack, Akemie's Castle is pretty fantastic and quirky:

- Since it's NOS Yamaha OPL3 chips, we're talking dirty FM. Aliasing, clicks and grumbles when modulating operator levels, crosstalk and leaky VCAs... it's glorious :hihi:
- VCOs A and B have independent pitch and outputs, but in some algorithms double up on the operator settings.
- VCO B can do 5-voice chords. Chord settings include some octave combinations that are basically additive synthesis, and some pretty heavy detuning options (but which sound good mixed at a low level with VCO A). The chords make it a drone monster, especially with fun combinations of FM ratios... it's really a 24-oscillator module, although with limitations on how those oscillators are assigned :)
- CV in the level inputs can easily distort things in a pretty unique way.
- If you multiply carrier frequency, it multiplies minor instabilities in the VCO frequency. So if you crank the base frequency way down and the multiplier way up, you get some lovely additional weirdness.

so, plaits plus supercell :o :love:

I’ve been undergoing a few upgrades this year:-

- New 3XS i9 Audio PC
- Vanguard V13 tube mic
- MOTU 828ES Audio interface
- Klark Teknik KT-2a (LA-2A clone)
- Klark Teknik 76-KT (1176 clone)
- IsoAcoustics ISO-155 monitor stands

Ryzen 3900X - the power I didn't even use yet. But yeah, the speed boost during rendering is significant.

Also, podcast mic Tracer Studio Pro:

Prepare to hear me very soon (:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I feel a 'bone coming up.
A cheap b-stock Thomann trombone.
May as well have been previously owned by PJ Harvey.

Sweetwater has the Behringer RD-8 in stock...

Some GAS happened...

Cosmotronic Delta-V Function Generator

Livestock Electronics MIR Quad VCA Mixer

Im looking at that rather cheap Dreadbox triple-stage-delay and thinking 'hmmm. wants two?'

Actually I kinda like the look of all their budget modules.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

padkontrol

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”