2019 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I got my Touché SE. At first I was like

:scared: :bang:

And then I was like

:hyper: :wheee: :phones:

The key seems to be:

- ignore Lié except for setup purposes
- set up forward/back tilt as separate CCs, and L and R shiftings as the same MIDI CC
- don't install, or immediately uninstall, UVI Workstation and PACE
- don't use MIDI controller assignments in Bitwig because they suck
- DO use MIDI modulators in Bitwig because they rule

It's great with stuff like Aalto, where I can just set forward tilt to control the gate and rear for FM or timbre or some combination... and then L/R don't have to be normal pitch but can modulate delay times or FM offset or something crazy like that :D

Works extremely well with the modular with ES-3 too... although trying to control Rings with it led me to some weird places :D

It's a bit fiddly with the Lyra, but modulating the delay instead of attempting to modulate voice pitch works. Modulating the time on a simple delay plugin works a little better :) I'm experimenting with a bunch of other stuff to add a sort of vibrato-ish expression that isn't necessarily straightforward pitch shifting. Great stuff.

My Roland SE-02 saga continues (it started over 2 months ago, when I ordered one, hehe).

The new USB cable arrived, and works... just not how I had hoped it would. Only when the Roland SE-02 is used as the ASIO driver in my DAW... in order to record everything (synths, guitar) at once, I'll have to make do with the mini-jack stereo out (as far as I know, the audio is mono though).

I ordered a stereo mini-jack to 2 x mono jack cable so I can hook up both audio interface and the little mixer I use to route stuff to my pedalboard. Then it took me most of the night to find extra stuff to buy, to avoid shipping fees. Turns out Thomann has a volume discount on the guitar strings I use, 5 sets may last me a lifetime hehe.

Sadly, that means I'll have to cannibalize inputs on my audio interface. My Drumbrute Impact will have to do with 1, not 5 DAW inputs, leaving me with inputs for future Behringer purchases (808, 909, Pro-1). Damn these laws of physics, legalize magic, I say!

do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law :shrug:

I preordered a SynthTech E520.

It ships in 2020, so I'll just say it's on my 2020 synth budget and I'm still in the clear for 2019... :scared: But it means I will have less fight in me for the auction I guess -- it's harder to justify a DSM03 now.

It's big and expensive but I can't help it. There's an E580 Resampling Delay in there (but better) and an E560 Deflector Shield (but better) and a Lexicon Prime Time (but better) and wild spectral effects (better than plugins in some ways) and a shimmer reverb (I don't really care about that) and other stuff.

That E520 looks fun!
Image Image Image Image

Received my NI Komplete Kontrol S49 Mk2 today :love:

My only concern is that I'm tempted to use Komplete presets now. I'd rather roll my own at all times TBH.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Just ordered one of these this evening
https://www.tesseractmodular.com/eurora ... step-fader
interesting looking sequencer

:hyper:
also got a few spices, like a doepfer quantizer, precision adder and 2 manual switches...

also pressure points and brains.

nice 8)

vurt wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:40 pmnice 8)
Yup...

starting to shape up well...

except...
so many wires now...
and I bloody hate cables.. from early emergency power systems instalations... wireman for Trident... touring engineer... wiring a few studios... I had my fill...
and here I am with cables .. cables every where.

:lol:

yeah, im scared to open that door with the kitten :o

look forward to hearing what you do with it, you've already got some awesome layering going, with different bits happening, so this is gonna be next level :D

I've done some what I call "proof of concept" recordings..
you know.. does this work with this... switching things in and out...

but I'm not sure I'll progress from PoC with so much kit... it'll always be, try this with that.. and that with this...

:shrug:
:hihi:

yeah im the same, just finding bits that work, hence the test tube and no actual release type thing :hihi:
but as you say, proof of concept is just ongoing.
but its bloody good fun :D

vurt wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:01 pm yeah im the same, just finding bits that work, hence the test tube and no actual release type thing :hihi:
but as you say, proof of concept is just ongoing.
but its bloody good fun :D
YUP...
I'm well passed giving a toss about if others like it...
I done so much stuff for others...

this is MY time...
dig a rhyme and find a groove
standing over the volt machine...
conductor of electricity...

:lol:

toonertik wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:50 pm so many wires now...
and I bloody hate cables..
Yeah, I remember saying one thing I really liked about software was not having to deal with cables :lol:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”