Which desktop synth for space / ambient ?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Of the modern polys (that come in destkop form) I've had much experience with, I'd definitely recommend the Rev2 or Peak, if that's the style you're after - tons of modulation and effects there. On the other hand, the Blofeld is very capable too, just in very different ways.

Or, if you want to (essentially) run a "tabletop computer", then you could go for the Organelle, or of course ... an iPad. Um, or a laptop, at that point. Like, it is an option. :ud:

Totally left field, there's also the Lyra. :wheee:

Basically any synth which either has huge delay/reverb on board or fed into external delay/reverb effects will allow you to do ambient. Rompler/wavetable based synths will be easier for big evolving tapestries usually. Like the D-05 for example.

Blofeld should be pretty awesome for Space/Ambient. Like all the other Waldorf synths. I have Largo, which is more or less the same as the Blofeld, with a few differences, and, it's great for stuff like that.

Other than that, the Virus TI should be great as well. But, quite a bit more expensive.

From experience... Waldorf Quantum for sure and (Not out yet KYRA) however you could buy any desktop synth and slap a Strymon BigSky or Ventris Reverb on it and you'd have any Ambient/Space machine :tu:

Behringer DeepMind 12D or Roland System-1m, but both are rather large desktop synths.

Virus TI2 if you take the time to program it.
Deepmind 12 is great and has a plethora of built in effects
But most stuff will be great with good sound design and then effects like a big reverb like the eventide blackhole, Strymon Big Sky. Hell even a Zoom MS-70CDR would would great.

I find the Peak very “hard” sounding. The entire synth seems to be voiced for monophonic sounds, and it does excel at them. It’s definitely not one of my go-to synths for ambient, which is one of my my main genres.

Audio wise, the Prophet 12 is what I’d recommend, though the interface, while brilliant, isn’t the knobbiest. The Peak has more knobs, but a sh!ttier menu system. Important oscillator stuff can be 8 button presses away. It’s so annoying, I fully use a VST editor.

The REV2 (on my list for a Christmas purchase) is excellent, but the oscillators aren’t nearly as flexible.

Maybe look at the Modor NF-1. It’s all digital, but sounds great. Really organic. If I didn’t have a no hardware VA policy, I’d definitely own one.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

rob_lee wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:26 pm From experience... Waldorf Quantum for sure and (Not out yet KYRA) however you could buy any desktop synth and slap a Strymon BigSky or Ventris Reverb on it and you'd have any Ambient/Space machine :tu:
The OP needs a desktop, but the now delayed Kyra might be a great choice. It’s on my list.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:26 am
rob_lee wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:26 pm From experience... Waldorf Quantum for sure and (Not out yet KYRA) however you could buy any desktop synth and slap a Strymon BigSky or Ventris Reverb on it and you'd have any Ambient/Space machine :tu:
The OP needs a desktop, but the now delayed Kyra might be a great choice. It’s on my list.
I'll have KYRA by Monday morning, I'm reading the manual as I wait for it, this thing has so so many features, I just need to get stuck in to SD asap. The OP might want to wait and see what KYRA can do.

Rob

rob_lee wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:31 am
zerocrossing wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:26 am
I'll have KYRA by Monday morning, I'm reading the manual as I wait for it, this thing has so so many features, I just need to get stuck in to SD asap. The OP might want to wait and see what KYRA can do.

Rob
Now you've had it a week, how's things going with the Kyra?
Would there be any point in getting a Kyra if you already had a TI?

Get a Zoia

Look out for a cheap Roland SH-32. It's an early VA with sampled waves - the choice of noise samples makes for interesting atmospheres all on their own.

This box gets some stick because of the apparently steppy filter, and the confusing UI, but that only applies when you're going mental with the cutoff knob, and if you don't read manuals.

It comes with 2 great-sounding FX blocks, including the lushest chorus I've heard, huge reverbs, and performance FX like the slicer. A programmable arpeggiator/ mini sequencer, Sync+Ring Mod, 4 part multi-timbral and it has a large set of really decent drums samples. You should be able to grab one for less than 200 skins.

Modal skulpt or microwave xt

For ambient... Elektron Analog 4 MkII would be a possible choice too. It is a great size. It is not so knobby like you are asking for (but not much is in a small size) and it has a good sonic flexibility and a lovely sounding reverb and delay.

KYRA.. you won't f**king believe this thing. Tell you more very soon... STOP and SAVE for this synth, saying no more :tu: :D

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”