Which controller has sensitive good pads?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there,

I'm not sure which controller has really good sensitive pads? I can't know from visiting the shops because mostly they are not connected, so it is useless to just test them off.

I'm between these currently: NI Maschine MK3 (or Mikro MK3), Push 2 and the new one Presonus ATOM.

I had some AKAI ones in the list but I don't trust the quality after I read about problems (repeating notes ... etc) on several of their controllers (MPD ones especially).

I had before Arturia BeatStep and I didn't like it. I also have the pads of Nektar P4 and they are all the same stiffness! I prefer any Midi Keyboard keys to be honest.

So, my question is, are there good controllers with sensitive keys (and with good build quality)? Or is it better to stick to my keyboard keys in playing some beats?

maschine is the gold standard for playable pads. mk2 plays wonderfully and I hear mk3 is even better.

best is having both 4x4 and 8x8 formats imo
Last edited by acYm on Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oh, that's good to hear! Thank you :)

I was just about to start a new thread about this. lol.
Has anyone tried the MK3 pads yet? I'm looking at picking up a used PadKontrol, which seems to be hugely popular among finger drummers who don't need a lot of extras, or Maschine MK1 without the software. Price is identical, so if the MK1 pads are as good as the PadKontrol's there's no reason to not take advantage of the extras on Maschine.

Is the MK2 or MK3 noticably better pads than MK1? How do MK1 pads compare to the PadKontrol?
Also, MPCstuff.com sells thick fat pads that fit MK1 and MK2. Has anyone used them? How do they compare to all the other pads?

It would be cool if there was an ongoing updated thread for this, sort of like the GearSlutz updated thread for low latency audio interfaces. Would save everyone the trouble of starting new threads about the same old topic.

Well, I was between buying a used MK1/MK2 or buying a new Mikro MK3. I almost bought the used one, but I noticed that the dealer here (NZ) is making 4 payments without interest, so I went and order a new Mikro MK3.

I haven't received it yet, they said it would take several days! Anyway, I read and watched tons of articles and videos and they said the MK3 (Mikro and its big brother) has a bigger pads and slightly a better quality than MK1/2.

In some reviews and comparisons, Akai MPC (and MPD) pads have a nicer feeling for drumming, but some of the MPD models have problems with ghost notes ..etc. I have no idea about the PadKontrol because I wanted to buy it, but it was sold :(

Anyway, I'm looking to use Maschine software as well. It seems a full DAW and the integration with the hardware is great (I'm already into about page 100 in the manual and I understand the basic workflow (it is between Live and FL Studio) which I like from reading :)

I'll report back when I have it, but I'm not a drummer (or finger drummer) ;)

I've got an original Maschine Micro mk2 and Ableton Push 2. Of these the Push 2 wins in sensitive pads.. but I've also just recently got to try Maschine Mk3 and that one is definitely the gold standard right now. It's ridiculous how good the pads on that thing is.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Well, I believe that bmanic is right ;) But the question is "To Maschine or not to Maschine" :clown:

I've got the Maschine Mikro MK3 today and I have been busy with it for many hours as it is easy to guess :hihi: Anyway, there are two parts here, the hardware and the software. I'm really happy that I like the two a lot :)

The hardware is classy and very well built. You feel the good quality immediately when you open the box. Now, after the headache of registering it (always failed in Native Access, but it is ok on the Hardware registration in NI website!!). After the registration and installation of Maschine software, everything comes to life!

Maschine software is the 'soul' of MK3. I mean really there is no point to have the hardware without the software. Anyway, I tried it with Studio One v4 and Ableton Live 9. It works with Ableton better than Studio one, but not that much really! I could press play, rec and stop, but not that much (definitely not like with the Maschine software!). Anyway, with the Midi Mode (Shift + Project icon) I can play the pads like keys.

The pads are excellent :) They have a good sensitivity. Although not very sensitive, but I think after some time, I can get used to them. They still much better than any pads on any Midi Keyboard. They don't have a spongy feel, but a solid one. They are great and I'm happy with them.

Maschine software can be used as VSTi inside other DAWs of course. But I didn't like the hassle! Also it is with a fixed size?!! Anyway, it needs some thoughts because it is very easy to get messy! If I use Maschine as a VSTi, it would be like FXpansion Geist, but if I want I can use the hardware only (very limited functionality, actually only the pads!) with other drums software like Battery or Addictive Drums inside my DAW of choice (or with Drums racks inside Ableton Live for example). But that means I don't use most of the functionality of the hardware (although it could be actually, if I map all the midi buttons ..etc, but that is headache I won't go there).

So, for me, I just found Maschine software perfect for me! It is simple but functional and I can use all my hardware/Software with it. It makes me active as I just try to play my keys/pads and record my ideas in a minimal setup :) It also make life much easier by browsing thousands of presets easily.

By the way, the kits are very good, but mostly I'll upgrade to the full version of Maschine 2 (They gives Essential with Mikro MK3), so I get much more kits. The nice thing they are all mapped and 16 sounds only. I like the sound of them much more than Ableton Live drum racks. They are similar to Battery 4 :D

Back to Maschine!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

After having various drum machines from the 80's 90's and early Y2k I found them all stiff. Mostly I like the linnstrument for feel and response though it really doesn't have a lot of "bounce". That being said Novation Launchpad pro has worked well for me.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:45 am After having various drum machines from the 80's 90's and early Y2k I found them all stiff. Mostly I like the linnstrument for feel and response though it really doesn't have a lot of "bounce". That being said Novation Launchpad pro has worked well for me.
I used to have an ASR X Pro and the pads were pretty nice. One stopped working properly which sucked. It was a cool little machine. Nice sound too.

+1 on Novation LPPro

(...says the guy who can't afford a PUSH2)
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

I don't think it's been mentioned here, but the BopPad may be the most sensitive controller anywhere. I've only seen videos, but drummers play some crazy fast parts on that thing that you could never pull off on MPC/Maschine style pads. It's probably a future purchase for me at least.

I don't know.. sensitivity is not everything when it comes to technique. Quite a few people actually dislike sensitive pads (more prone to double trigger). This dude manages quite well with just a basic maschine mikro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyiLIfbUhgw
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:48 am I don't know.. sensitivity is not everything when it comes to technique. Quite a few people actually dislike sensitive pads (more prone to double trigger). This dude manages quite well with just a basic maschine mikro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyiLIfbUhgw
I guess different needs and playing styles require different pads and interfaces.

If you're trying to trigger samples and are not concerned with velocity levels, I think MIDI Fighter puts everything else to shame. I've had one for less than 2 days and love how it allows me to play with such speed and accuracy. But as it sends no velocity data, it's really for sample triggering or more synthetic/electronic type drums out of the box. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAeybdD5UoQ

If you want to play ultra realistic drum parts I don't think anything else on the market can do what the BopPad can, but I hear the utility software included is less than great. Still being able to play snare parts like this looks fun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LaLrXDraZ0

Are you guys using maschine as a live playing tool or as a compositional/daw sort of thing?

In other words, can maschine replace a push 2/ableton setup?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

I don't use it live! Just at home :D

Well, I think there are different kind of using it, but the main usage still between all workflows is to use Maschine as drums trigger. I'm still learning how to finger drumming (Melodics is a great place to learn with some free lessons, although I paid for one month now). I like it more and more because also I'm getting used to it and using it with Maschine Software mainly.

Don't know about Push 2 really, but if I have Push 2 with Ableton, I wouldn't think of purchasing Maschine. Anyway, I like Maschine kits more than Ableton Live ones. The only 16 slots in Maschine I see it as a plus because the kits are more organised this way. Maschine also has the Mikro which I bought, while Ableton has only Push.

Push 2 with Live Suite cost almost the same like MK3 with Komplete. But, I don't know, I felt for me Maschine/NI soft are more to my taste (Industrial/Ambient/Electronica) while Ableton/Push 2 is more for EDM and 'light' dance. Just a feeling though! You can do the same with both. So, IMO, if you still don't know which one, just flip a coin and stick with your choice :hihi: Both are great tools, and none is prefect ;)

I like the NI videos as well. They sold me on the Mikro MK3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYSowSqOMw4

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”