First analog synth investment(s) - Budget 4,000 USD

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am going to invest in one or two synths. I completely LOVE the sound of Minimoog Model D, but I am a little concerned of it being monophonic. Could you recommend me a cheap alternative poly-synth to combine with my a Model D?

This is the music I want to create:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ej6g3KhinM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko8cJucsbBU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BG8h4CjxRQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSSy3aHsG6c%C2%A8

Or would you recommend another combo? Maybe Prophet 6 + Moog Grandmother?

Thank you!

4K cheap?
Well Mr Branson your options are far and wide.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

I know 4k USD goes a long way, but if I would buy the Model-D, which is around 3.5k USD, there would not be that much room for an additional poly synth?

I am thinking of either getting the Model-D and then just use a regular keyboard for playing VSTs. Or do you think it is a waste to put that much money on a Model-D? Should I get a really good poly instead?

Thank you

It really depends on what you do... there is no single answer

You could get a P6 and the Boog for example...

Why not start out cheap first and see if this is something you really want to get into? Not sure how close the Behringer Model-D thing gets to the real deal but it's a good starting point for almost no money at all. Even if you didn't sell it, you'd probably end up losing less than selling the real thing (at least in todays market).

Heck you could get 5 of them just for kicks.. and one of those midi -> CV and gate split things that sends each note to an individual gate and then get polyphony. :D

EDIT: .. a box like this:

https://www.tindie.com/products/hotchk1 ... to-cv-box/
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

1st.- Go second hand, don't waste money buying new.

2.- Instead of a model D maybe try getting a Voyager in the 2000 range. It is more versatile thatn the Model D.

3.- Get a P6 for 2000.

With that money I would get a Matrixbrute and a system 8 or Ob6
dedication to flying

Ob-6 and Prophet 6

Do you have any keyboards or synths already? Do you know how to play and use DAW software or are you embarking on a learning adventure?

There's nothing wrong with being either beginner, intermediate or advanced but advice might vary depending on audience.

If you don't have much gear (or much softsynths) then a mono analog synth by itself won't get very far toward the sound examples you posted.

There is so much nice gear nowadays. Some folks do great with mostly softsynths but I just don't dig softsynths personally.

If you want a minimoog sound, could get a behringer model d for US$300.

The Korg Prologue seems a nice analog poly synth, decent bang for the buck. 16 voice US$2000, 8 voice US$1500. Same sound and features. I personally would want the 16 voice but the majority of "classic" electronic music was done on 8 voice or less poly synths. It has analog synth features and the third oscillator can act like wavetable/transwave and also make pretty easy to program FM or Phase Distortion timbres.

Are you totally against Romplers? Modern digital instruments can sound purt fat. Yamaha MODX8, 88 key weighted is US$1900, MODX7 76 key is $US1500, MODX6 61 key is $US1300. In addition to numerous sampled acoustic sounds and drums, has nice enough filters to make lots of analogish sounds and also very strong FM synth engine.

I like having an 88 so that bass parts and all the drum parts can be played low on the keys without having to transpose a short keyboard, but if you don't care about such stuff the 61 key would be about the same.

You could get Prologue16, behringer model d and MODX6 or 7 and still have a little change left in your pocket from the $4000.

But if you are closer to beginner than expert, maybe it would be wiser to get just one axe and learn it forward/backward, spend a year or more concentrating on just learning the one axe, before you get more toys than you have time to play with. The fancier modern instruments are so deep that it is a major investment in time learning just what the boundaries and capabilities of the instrument are, and learning to get your moneys' worth out of it. Unless you can do it full time, you would be busy at least for many months just delving into one axe.

If yer heart is just set on analog, prologue or prophet or whatever poly analog synth. But personally I think better bang for the buck for a beginner/intermediate with something like MODX. Somebody who knows a MODX could credibly cover any of the sound examples you posted, even if the MODX is not an analog synth. Ditto for recent Roland or Korg romplers. If there was some reason to do so, am purt sure I could cover your sound examples close enough with my Roland FA06, which isn't a bad axe, but newer MODX looks like better bang for the buck. I don't have a MODX so it is not a "hands on" judgement. Like I mentioned earlier about time-- I could afford to buy a MODX but don't have sufficient time to use the instruments I already have, so it would be a waste of money to buy one if I didn't have time to learn it and use it.

Your really cant beat the Berringer DM12 for under 700 USD....12 voices of polly

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ynthesizer

Throw in a Berringer Model D (which sounds exactly the same as a Moog Model D) and control it from the DM 12.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ynthesizer

Job done for a grand :wink:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Thank you for great answers.

I am not a beginner when it comes to producing / DAW knowledge, and I hold a fair amount of knowledge when it comes to tweaking software synths.

I will consider getting a combination like OB-6, Korg Prologue or Prophet 6, and combine with either of your proposals, or with Moog Grandmother or Moog Sub 37.

It seems like none of you think that the Minimoog Model D is worth the bucks.

Thanks!

Model D is absolutely worth the bucks.
You could add a Roland d-05 or a second hand Tetra.

Getting the Model D and a decent keyboard for using vst synths or samplers is also a good idea. Repro 5 or Diva would be a good match.

Also, second hand Model D or some haggling would get you more poly money.

Would a vintage Model-D decrease a lot in price? Or how does the price trends of these synths look?

If I get a vintage Model-D, install MIDI-function, and keep it in top condition, would it possibly increase in price over the next 10 years?

Model d is not worth the bucks new, specially when you can find a Voyager cheaper and it is a more versatile instrument.
dedication to flying

Easy. Start with a Behringer Model-D and an Elektron Analog Four MKII. Have some very authentic Moog sound and a very versatile analog synth with outstanding sequencer. Save the leftover $2300 for something else.

borjadja wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:12 am Would a vintage Model-D decrease a lot in price? Or how does the price trends of these synths look?
They’ve been on he up since the 80’s but who knows what the future will hold.
You should buy synths because you want to play them, not because of any monetary value.

With the Moog Model D reissue you get some stuff the original didn’t have. There is MIDI built in, a dedicted lfo and and some cv ins and out.
Last edited by Acid Mitch on Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”