AKG K712 Pro or ATH 990Z headphones?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello all,

I'm thinking of upgrading my ATH-MX50 cans (which are getting a bit old...), and I'm currently looking at these two models:

- the K712 Pro by AKG
- the A990Z by Audio-Tehnica.

I plan to use them as reference headphones for mixing and mastering my own tracks.
I've read countless reviews, but I'd like to know also your opinion.

I'm looking for a transparent (flat) and high detailed sound, for really critical listening.

Thanks in advance for any opinions on this subject.

Cheers!
== VDX == One Man can make a difference!
My music is on https://soundcloud.com/vdxi | Info | More Info

Needless to mention that nothing beats comparing those two and maybe some other cans side by side with a ton of HQ audio material.
Re. the K712 they certainly don't disappoint in the detail department but you'll really need a more than decent headphone amp to max out their potential. I like mine a LOT, especially for monitoring and some audiophile stuff but I also keep a bunch of other cans and in-ears around for varieties sake.

I have not used the A990Z's

I have the K712's. I find them detailed and clear and I don't get ear fatigue from them. Also, they are very comfortable for hours of use. My only complaint about the AKG's (whether 712's or other models) is the cords tend to wear out in a couple years. Maybe when I move around I pull on them too much. Easy enough to replace and besides that minor point I could not be happier with them.

i love the K712s. i use them with an apogee groove when i travel (ie for mixing only). i carry them in a soft-padded, platinum air-tight case, with gold trim, and a bank-vault style lock (ok, not all of this post is true)....

they are great tho; good bass (not boomy, but deep), good soundstage (for headphones), great clarity.

Well, one more vote for the K712 Pros, although I'm not sure how useful this opinion is as I haven't tried your other alternative. Anyway, the 712s are super comfortable and I can't find a fault in the sound. Sound stage is excellent. I drive them from a Mackie VLZ mixer or an O2 headphone amp, both work great.

That said, I wouldn't choose a pair of cans based on reviews alone, they are the most personal piece of audio gear and individual physical properties (your head!) seem to play a big part here.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”