Midi setup advice - Sequencer x2 start/stop

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Posted this question elsewhere too.

Hey all,

I’m needing some advice here regarding my setup. It’s mainly about sequencing the gear in question. What I want to do is be able to start and stop say my main sequencer the (DIGITAKT) without it say stopping my (TR8-s) if you know what I mean without either going out of time if I restart either one at random.

Also as my gear grows would it be better if I had a Kenton midi thru 12 and/or a midi merge box? I know a few of my synths don't have midi thru hence the question.

My list of gear is:

Elektron Digitakt
Elektron Digitone
Roland SH01a
Roland TR8s
MAM MB33
Waldorf Pulse 2
Waldorf Blofeld

This month I’ll also have to incorporate both the Waldorf Quantum and Waldorf STVC in to my setup as these will be arriving very soon.

I do have other gear I can swap out in future but the above list is basically what I want in my setup.

But my main questions are:

Midi thru or midi merge box or both. Also a device to start and stop either sequencer in perfect time without stopping everything above in the setup.

Many thanks

Rob

Some sort of sync box I presume?

a master midi clock, that would keep every thing in time.
controlling the sequencers.
then your midi out from the sequencers to wherever you wish.

vurt wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:12 pm a master midi clock, that would keep every thing in time.
controlling the sequencers.
then your midi out from the sequencers to wherever you wish.
So I could stop/start either the TR8s or Digitakt and they'd not stop the whole rig vice/versa? I'm thinking I should be careful when setting this lot up.
Need to shop a decent master clock then cheers mate

the clock will need to be set up to send not receive.
that way it can be used to start the rig, and send a clock signal for the other sequencers to follow.
then there should be in theory some way to set up your sequencers to only play in time to the clock.

personally ive only ever used two seqs together where one was master, but in that scenario, obviously stopping the master seq stopped everything. although second sequencer was ok to stop and start.
but i see no major problems in what you are trying to do, im sure many others have done similar :)

I’m rather fond of the SBX1.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Cheers Vurt.

That SBX1 looks good Mushy but it'll cost some wedge lol £339 :scared: that's a big chunk out me old Cirklon savings haha I'm told I've got another 10 months to wait for that sequencer. I think I'll just setup my gear best I can for now, still waiting on 2 pieces of gear but they'll be here soon and I can get set up properly.

Rob

I’m also on the Cirklon waiting list, f*ck knows how i’ll pay for that when the time comes.

The SBX was going for £149 at one point so I’m sure there are bargains to be had. That said lots of things will do the job.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:55 pm I’m also on the Cirklon waiting list, f*ck knows how i’ll pay for that when the time comes.

The SBX was going for £149 at one point so I’m sure there are bargains to be had. That said lots of things will do the job.
Aye, don't think you can beat a Cirklon Mushy. It'll be a great investment IMO. I've got a little stashed away for it. Suppose another 10 months wait gives me time to pay for other gear.
I might just get the basic version without the CV rack for now tho coz that can be added later if I decide on modular gear.

I use an E-RM Multiclock. Each clock output can be stopped/started independently.

justin3am wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:59 pm I use an E-RM Multiclock. Each clock output can be stopped/started independently.
Yeah I was just on that website, damn this game can be expensive can't it?

I'm sure I seen a YouTube video somewhere recently of some guy was starting all his Elektron gear at random and they were perfectly in sync again when he hit play.
Can't seem to remember what the guy was called but he was using some sort of sync box.

I guess it's a matter of how you set up the gear, If I have synths set up to be controlled by either sequencer and hit stop on one them then anything connected to that chain is gonna stop right? Well that's what I was thinking anyhow.

Cheers

Justin

yeah if you stop either seq. the synths controlled by that will stop.

for individual synths youd be muting the seq. channels individually.

Yeah, it can be very tricky to stop/start sequencers in sync if you have multiple sequencers synced to a master clock. The Multiclock can do that but I mostly use that feature to reset start points when I'm dealing with sequencers running at different clock divisions (the Multiclock can do clock divisions on MIDI clocks).
If the goal is to stop voices from playing, then vurt may have the best suggestion yet, just mute the sequencer channels which control those voices. Of course that is easier to do, if you have a master sequencer (like the Cirklon) which is controlling everything.

Thanks guys.. right it's time to YouTube some FX pedals :-)

rob_lee wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:40 pm Thanks guys.. right it's time to YouTube some FX pedals :-)
that's a dangerously expensive game :hihi:

do check out the meris reverb and delay :love:
especially that reverb.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”