Did you sell your Prophet Rev 2?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I wondering if someone when to the same question that me. I bought the Rev 2 about 3 months ago. I like it but I'm not sure I like it enough to keep it. I have a Moog Sub 37 and Minitaur and I never asked this question about those two synth. Maybe I didn't spend enough time with the Rev 2 but I feel that the filter is too crisp and bright. I like more the tone and feel of the Moog, event if it's a mono synth.

It a lot of money for a synth that I'm not sure yet if it's worth to keep it. Is any of you when through the same situation?

Cheers

I had a P10 first. so rev3 equivalent. then i got a rev2. the rev2 has more of a bite. it's also not as well designed at the rev3. hence, many rev2 die. mine did. i tried to repair it. i actually the complete set of sequential synth service manuals. original in one factory binder. anyway. to me they are different sounding enough that they are basically different synths. kind of makes sense since the whole synth engine is different between the two rev2 SSM, rev3 Curtis. I'd keep the rev2. not many around. it's an edgier and in some senses stronger prophet sound than the rev3. might even be easier to record with since it theoretically will stand out in the mix easier. YMMV.

I bought the P10 for $800 in 1986. The rev2 was $300 in 1988. those were the days. :phones:

plexuss wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:47 amI bought the P10 for $800 in 1986. The rev2 was $300 in 1988. those were the days. :phones:
Me thinks the OP was talking about the 2017 issue of the DSI Prophet Rev2.

You're talking about the old Prophet-5 with rev2 having SSM and rev3 having CEM (Curtis) chips, right? Very different instruments...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:18 am
plexuss wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:47 amI bought the P10 for $800 in 1986. The rev2 was $300 in 1988. those were the days. :phones:

You're talking about the old Prophet-5 with rev2 having SSM and rev3 having CEM (Curtis) chips, right? Very different instruments...
Absolutely. People need to clarify what they are talking about. :phones:

plexuss wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:26 pm
BertKoor wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:18 am

Absolutely. People need to clarify what they are talking about. :phones:

That's right. has the title mention, Prophet Rev 2, not Prophet 5 Rev 2 ;)

Yes, I bought a DSI Rev2 and sold it because I didn't like the tone. I later watched a comparison of the P8 v Rev2 running the same patches, and the P8 sounded more alive — even though DSI claim the voicing design to be the same.

db3 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:19 pm Yes, I bought a DSI Rev2 and sold it because I didn't like the tone. I later watched a comparison of the P8 v Rev2 running the same patches, and the P8 sounded more alive — even though DSI claim the voicing design to be the same.
I did't use it for 10 days and I just tried it tonight. I really don't like the tone either and I do not connected with this instrument. It's too bad, I wish I do. There's so much modulation possible.

Lesson learned: only buy an instrument you instantly fell in love with.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I Sold mine a year ago but ended up buying it again this year since i did miss it.
It has the Cem synth sound in spades which might not be for everyone but when i compared it to The Roland Jp08 and the Jupiter 8 Plugout and the SH01a the Oscillators sounded the same and the same was with the filter except that the filter let thru a tiny bit more frequencies in the high end compared to the others.

But the filter has bigger frequency range than the Rolands so dialing it in a little different way made it very close to all 3 of them.

I decided to sold mine and I don't regret at all. I Own u-he Repro 5 and Diva and to be honest, I preferred the sound of those Synth. They are incredible good sounding and I could not tell the difference between Warm analogue Rev 2 and u-he plug-in.

D-Fusion wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:48 am but when i compared it to The Roland Jp08 and the Jupiter 8 Plugout and the SH01a the Oscillators sounded the same and the same was with the filter except that the filter let thru a tiny bit more frequencies in the high end compared to the others.
You are comparing a £1200+ DCO analog synth to some softsynths/VAs/digitals and are GLAD they sound similar? The roland cloud stuff sounds nothing like the originals (esp the Jupiter 8 but even the JX-3p.. and also the mono synths SH2 etc). The software/boutique/system 8 all just sound like competent VAs that make Roland like sounds, they do NOT sound analog.

That the Rev 2 compared ok to them isn't saying much for Rev 2 is it?

To the O.P, Yes I had a Prophet Rev 2 for around 6 months and got sick of the basic tone of it, it's pathetic how the filter is so weak and the tone so wimpy/crisp.It did do a nice range of sci-fi/colder tones but nothing I need a expensive synth for.

I also bought a Prophet 6 which was a lot better, but lacked in modulation and felt held back (also wasn't as good as my vintage synths sound wise) so I sold that too.

But yeah, the Rev 2 AND Prophet 08 are both love/hate synths, many people buy them cos cheap then sell them cos crap. It's the way it is and nothing will change that, they are really weak sounding synths covered with modulation to mask it.

DSI need to take the best of the Rev 2 and Prophet 6 and make one fully featured and great sounding serious analog because so far they are just making toys.

switchonsid wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:41 pm I decided to sold mine and I don't regret at all. I Own u-he Repro 5 and Diva and to be honest, I preferred the sound of those Synth. They are incredible good sounding and I could not tell the difference between Warm analogue Rev 2 and u-he plug-in.
Possibly a wise choice, and repro sounds good enough for pads and stuff.. it's still no real analog but then it doesn't sound unlikable like much of the Rev2 does.

You still can't beat rich real analog with software though, so the moog stuff you have and vintage synths, and even the Prophet 6 still has software beat imo.

polysixx wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:46 am
D-Fusion wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:48 am but when i compared it to The Roland Jp08 and the Jupiter 8 Plugout and the SH01a the Oscillators sounded the same and the same was with the filter except that the filter let thru a tiny bit more frequencies in the high end compared to the others.
You are comparing a £1200+ DCO analog synth to some softsynths/VAs/digitals and are GLAD they sound similar? The roland cloud stuff sounds nothing like the originals (esp the Jupiter 8 but even the JX-3p.. and also the mono synths SH2 etc). The software/boutique/system 8 all just sound like competent VAs that make Roland like sounds, they do NOT sound analog.
Well? You must be tone deaf then?
And btw. They do sound very Analogue when played next to my Roland SE-02 and that is why i did my own comparisson test ;)
This is a video of a Danish guy comparing the JP8 against the JP-08.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWVxitCb0Io

switchonsid wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:41 pm I decided to sold mine and I don't regret at all. I Own u-he Repro 5 and Diva and to be honest, I preferred the sound of those Synth. They are incredible good sounding and I could not tell the difference between Warm analogue Rev 2 and u-he plug-in.
Smart move if you prefer to work with vst's :tu:

I tried the Rev 2 and was unimpressed. Saw the P08 v Rev2 comparison vid and managed to buy the last P08 at Thomann. Absolutely love it. I previously had a P6 but didn’t like it.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”