Moog One ... my wallet just went up in flames.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pdxindy wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:49 pm
bluerobot wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:31 pm
synthmagic wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:55 pm Can a 8 voice Moog One be upgraded to 16 voices?
Word from my SW rep was that "it's technically possible" but Moog is not offering it at this time. It remains an open question as to whether they might offer it "some day"...
I wouldn't call it an open question... just cause there is a small crack, it is still very unlikely when they did not design it for that from the start.
I felt like that was what my rep was trying to imply, and I don't know why he would try to imply that... but, hey, salespeople, amirite?!?!

Either way, it's not a chicken that I would count, so it's the 16 for me.

bluerobot wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:58 pm
pdxindy wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:49 pm
bluerobot wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:31 pm
synthmagic wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:55 pm Can a 8 voice Moog One be upgraded to 16 voices?
Word from my SW rep was that "it's technically possible" but Moog is not offering it at this time. It remains an open question as to whether they might offer it "some day"...
I wouldn't call it an open question... just cause there is a small crack, it is still very unlikely when they did not design it for that from the start.
I felt like that was what my rep was trying to imply, and I don't know why he would try to imply that... but, hey, salespeople, amirite?!?!

Either way, it's not a chicken that I would count, so it's the 16 for me.
16 for me too... so it's not a question I care about :wink:

A way to look at slew/integration simple analog-circuit-wise--

An RC (resistor-capacitor) lowpass filter does the exponential thing. It approaches the "new target voltage" by increasing about 63% of the distance remaining in each Time Constant (or decreasing to about 37% of the distance remaining in each Time Constant). So if we have initial voltage of 0 volts, a new "target" voltage of 1 volt, and a Time Constant of 1 second, it will reach about 0.63 volts after 1 second, and then (0.63 * (1.0 - 0.63)) + 0.63 after 2 seconds = 0.863, etc. Traveling about 63% of the remaining diminishing distance to travel to the target, on each new Time Constant period. Look up "Time Constant" in wikipedia and it gives the little equations based on powers of the constant e.

That is called an integrator, but so far as I recall it is a "leaky integrator" which gives the curved shape output from a steady DC input.

OTOH the calculus integration of a DC step input would be a ruler-straight line rising or descending at some angle. The bigger the DC step, the steeper the rising or descending straight-line angle. It is easy to get "true integration" with simple analog by putting a capacitor in the feedback loop of an opamp, or alternately driving a capacitor from a "constant current" source rather than a "constant voltage" source as was described above for the simple RC lowpass filter.

That trick of constant-current-driven capacitor, or capacitor in opamp feedback loop, is also typically how they get the straight lines in sawtooth and triangle VCO waveforms. Also the trick used for analog "linear segment" types of ADSR envelopes. The kinds of envelopes that have straight lines on the attack, decay, sustain and release line segments.

For a linear slew rate limiter, it would have to be a little fancier than just a capacitor in the opamp feedback loop. Those "true integrators" just keep on linearly increasing or decreasing until they peg out on a power supply rail. Same way if you draw the calculus integration on graph paper, the line doesn't stop but eventually runs off the top or bottom of the graph paper. So the circuit would need to be a little fancier so that it would linear-slew, but then it would be smart enough to know how to stop slewing when the output reaches the same value as the input. Keep the output from "running off the edge of the graph paper".

JCJR wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:51 pm A way to look at slew/integration simple analog-circuit-wise--

An RC (resistor-capacitor) lowpass filter does the exponential thing. It approaches the "new target voltage" by increasing about 63% of the distance remaining in each Time Constant (or decreasing to about 37% of the distance remaining in each Time Constant). So if we have initial voltage of 0 volts, a new "target" voltage of 1 volt, and a Time Constant of 1 second, it will reach about 0.63 volts after 1 second, and then (0.63 * (1.0 - 0.63)) + 0.63 after 2 seconds = 0.863, etc. Traveling about 63% of the remaining diminishing distance to travel to the target, on each new Time Constant period. Look up "Time Constant" in wikipedia and it gives the little equations based on powers of the constant e.

That is called an integrator, but so far as I recall it is a "leaky integrator" which gives the curved shape output from a steady DC input.

OTOH the calculus integration of a DC step input would be a ruler-straight line rising or descending at some angle. The bigger the DC step, the steeper the rising or descending straight-line angle. It is easy to get "true integration" with simple analog by putting a capacitor in the feedback loop of an opamp, or alternately driving a capacitor from a "constant current" source rather than a "constant voltage" source as was described above for the simple RC lowpass filter.

That trick of constant-current-driven capacitor, or capacitor in opamp feedback loop, is also typically how they get the straight lines in sawtooth and triangle VCO waveforms. Also the trick used for analog "linear segment" types of ADSR envelopes. The kinds of envelopes that have straight lines on the attack, decay, sustain and release line segments.

For a linear slew rate limiter, it would have to be a little fancier than just a capacitor in the opamp feedback loop. Those "true integrators" just keep on linearly increasing or decreasing until they peg out on a power supply rail. Same way if you draw the calculus integration on graph paper, the line doesn't stop but eventually runs off the top or bottom of the graph paper. So the circuit would need to be a little fancier so that it would linear-slew, but then it would be smart enough to know how to stop slewing when the output reaches the same value as the input. Keep the output from "running off the edge of the graph paper".
I don't know, I think it goes deeper than that. No, I'm kidding, I know nothing of electronics :hihi:
I'm just wondering what sort of electronics are in the Moog one that would differ so greatly from say a Dave Smith Prophet Rev 2(16 voice) which can be bought for around 1700 pounds, here in the UK. What I'm saying is, if Dave Smith can make a 16 voice poly synth for that price then what is inside the Moog One? Is the Rev 2 design based on loads of chips and the Moog one made with a more descrete electronic design, which presumably ramps up the costs?
Last edited by synthmagic on Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Synth Magic synths for Konatkt - ARP Quadra, Polymoog and many more. www.synthmagic.co.uk

With the latest live stream (factory presets) any remaining GAS for the Moog One has gone, thankfully.

I think it sounds lackluster and dead, with only the effects carrying/masking it. It's way too much to pay for something that's all spec and no character.

I've heard much better sounding analogs costing 1/6 as much. This is one for posers only who don't care about tone only about spec/showing off.

Disappointing really. :(

Let’s just say I disagree %1000
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

I just listened to the latest live stream (been busy for a couple days)... some lovely sounds there. And what an impressive diversity possible! I't's gonna be a lot of fun making presets!!

I rearranged my studio space and brought in a new desk specifically for the Moog One. Could be here in 3 days!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb2e_kEChEg
It does sound great and I love that layer feature that allows for adjustment of all layers at the same time - It's a beast! That patch at 09:18 :love:
Great call putting the Eventide effects unit in there I'm going to have to get a Eventide Blackhole.
Synth Magic synths for Konatkt - ARP Quadra, Polymoog and many more. www.synthmagic.co.uk

SJ_Digriz wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:02 am Let’s just say I disagree %1000
Same.

There's a lot of character in the One. And not just one type of character. It's a chameleon.
Last edited by EvilDragon on Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

synthmagic wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:40 pmI'm just wondering what sort of electronics are in the Moog one that would differ so greatly from say a Dave Smith Prophet Rev 2(16 voice) which can be bought for around 1700 pounds, here in the UK. What I'm saying is, if Dave Smith can make a 16 voice poly synth for that price then what is inside the Moog One? Is the Rev 2 design based on loads of chips and the Moog one made with a more descrete electronic design, which presumably ramps up the costs?
Yes, it's a discrete design. Watch the tech talk video all the way through.

https://youtu.be/ujBN_JJ-mc0?t=1796

Where Rev2 is using Curtis chips for filters etc., One is all discrete. The only thing not discrete are XMOS CPUs of which they have quite a handful in there (one per two voices).

synthmagic wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:40 pm I'm just wondering what sort of electronics are in the Moog one that would differ so greatly from say a Dave Smith Prophet Rev 2(16 voice) which can be bought for around 1700 pounds, here in the UK. What I'm saying is, if Dave Smith can make a 16 voice poly synth for that price then what is inside the Moog One? Is the Rev 2 design based on loads of chips and the Moog one made with a more descrete electronic design, which presumably ramps up the costs?
Not only a discrete design...

Moog One offers

3 Osc's vs 2
VCO's vs DCO's
Each Osc is hugely more flexible
Dual Analog Noise Osc (per voice)

2 filters vs 1
8 filter modes vs 2

Connectivity that Rev 2 doesn't have.
CV in and CV out
Audio In
4 Inserts for outboard gear

X/Y pad with pressure sensitivity
2 Expression pedal inputs vs 1
Visual OLED display

More complex modulation options
Each LFO is way more flexible
Envelopes can set curves per stage
Many more mod slots
Mod modifiers to adjust mod curves, set ranges etc.
Plus a lot more

10,000+ presets vs 512
user spaces
snapshots
Mod presets
Performance sets with dedicated buttons

More physical space
more knobs
bigger knobs
almost 4 times the number of buttons

...and yet they both sound worse than their spec would suggest (Moog one and DSI Rev2)

Weird.

Sometimes simple is better if it means the sound retains a proper analog richness & character.

polysixx wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:27 pm ...and yet they both sound worse than their spec would suggest (Moog one and DSI Rev2)
to you maybe...

I think the Moog One sounds amazing. Deep and rich and nuanced. I'm so stoked to soon have this synth sitting in front of me!

Just got the bad shipping date news :< Evidently release is shifting to the right by a few days.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

I think it sounds fantastic! I’m not completely convinced that I need one in my life, but I would never describe the sound as disappointing.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”